• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Odometer Brag

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My 2003 Honda Pilot that I bought new 12/31/2002 hit 220K fifteen days ago and is now approaching 222,700. I was 100 miles into trip from San Jose to Whistler. I drove through Bend both ways and past Yakima and through Leavenworth on way up. My wife flew to YVR and rode home with me (and skied Bachelor last Saturday). All three tanks in a row on return I was at or just over 22.5 mpg which could be partially due to better OR and WA gas as I'm usually barely over 20 on CA ski trips. Pilot hit 200K late last Feb. between Leavenworth and Stevens Pass on way to Whistler Gathering.

The 3.5 VTEC V-6 still winds up fast and hauls if lightly loaded when you step on it. I passed a string of a few cars and some big trucks coming home from Kirkwood on 2-lane Highway 88 earlier this month and was surprised to see I was going over 100 (fuel cutoff, that I have never hit, is 108 due to OEM tires). Your results may vary and don't try it without a good radar detector.
5782Pilot220K.JPG

Reactions: nay

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My old Caprice Station wagon had about 495, 000 Km on it (307.5 K miles) when I finally gave up on it due to my inability to find a competent honest mechanic, and my time being too valuable to work on it myself. That car got 21 US mpg at 70 mph on the highway, and had oodles of room, very comfy and composed at 90 mph too.

It was like the proverbial hammer. A hammer will last forever, if you replace the handle and the head once in a while.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
So my 1992 Toyota Corolla Wagon is affectionately named the Rust Rocket. I bought it 6 years ago for 800$ and so far have put about 1000$ total in repairs. I bought it for a daily driver to work so I could park my truck and save on some fuel. 35 MPG, heater burns you out of the car and AC will freeze you plus the radio and cassette player still works. I was hoping for 2-3 years with it but now I'm not sure if it will ever give up the ghost.
20180726_124037 (002).jpg
20180726_124113.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Another year, another 20K on the ‘04 Sequoia.

198E7F8D-7CD1-42B9-A910-86B3128D2C62.jpeg

Had to replace a fan clutch bracket this year. Bit of a PITA job, so went ahead and did the timing belt at the same time.

Good for another 150K before I need to mess with any of that again. Probably change the diff fluids this year at some point. Needs an oil change before winter.

Still running like new.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another year, another 20K on the ‘04 Sequoia.

Good for another 150K before I need to mess with any of that again. Probably change the diff fluids this year at some point. Needs an oil change before winter.

Still running like new.

It is a Toyota, after all. ;)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It is a Toyota, after all. ;)

The current fleet:

‘95 Land Cruiser 264K
‘99 4Runner 256K
‘00 Tacoma 317K
‘04 Sequoia 320K
‘04 4Runner 235K

I don’t think I’d even look at something under 200K. Terrible value. :P

The Cruiser needs some love. She’s been ridden hard and put away wet for years. Will happen late summer.

Odometer brag will keep accruing to the Big Tree. She’s an absolute workhorse.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I made the 'error' of buying my Tacoma Double Cab brand new. The '02 has under 150K on it and I plan for it to be my last vehicle.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I made the 'error' of buying my Tacoma Double Cab brand new. The '02 has under 150K on it and I plan for it to be my last vehicle.

At 17 years and still with some of its baby fuzz I’d say it’s working out ok ogsmile.

Beauty of the 1st gen Tacoma/third gen 4Runner is they are all ending up in Colorado and even the big ticket parts are cheap.

My son damaged his transfer case wheeling, and it has the rear locker so a less common part (the ECU wants to know that the t-case is locked before it will activate the rear locker), and I found one on the shelf at a parts yard with 100K less miles than what was on the truck for $275.

At those prices, these trucks have 30 years of life left so long as frame rust is kept at bay.

I worry more about the Cruiser. The build level is off the charts, but only about 85,000 were produced and they don’t show up in yards very often. I’m slowly collecting some key parts that are otherwise unobtanium, and miles are going way down now, too.

That rig is pry from my cold dead hands category.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On the 6th anniversary of my 2014 Subaru Outback I hit 121,000 miles, She has been through many great adventures already. Most recently was a trip to Mammoth back in June.

thumbnail_IMG_0920.jpg

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got more than that on some of my motorcycles! (Though not in SIX years!)

All those drives to Tahoe/Reno and Mammoth over the years add up quick!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just thought I would add these two photos I took yesterday in my wife's 2004 Malibu.
View attachment 79203 View attachment 79211
I remember the days when 100k was considered "high mileage" and you were living on borrowed time after that. Now 100k is where many things are first serviced and I, personally, consider it about the halfway mark in most vehicles reliably usable life.

Sponsor

Staff online