• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Odometer Brag

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpeg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Bought a new truck yesterday.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Berner approved and low miles! Not a notable mile until 300K :D.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sweet @nay! That's a Sequoia, right? Or is it a rare V8 4runner? How does it drive with 250K?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Sweet @nay! That's a Sequoia, right? Or is it a rare V8 4runner? How does it drive with 250K?

Yes, Sequoia. The PO had 10 years of religious dealer/shop maintenance records, new double DIN touch screen stereo, new front seat (cushion/leather), low mile Hankook Dynapro ATMs (even the spare). Everything seems to be in great working order. $5,995 :golfclap:

Awesome on the highway, smooth and refined, really comfortable. Family ski days just got a lot more spacious. Pretty big truck, but not too big. Apparently I do have 4 kids and two big dogs. :eek:

Anybody need a sweet pimpin loaded minivan? Once that goes I need to find a 3rd gen 4Runner for my teens - another high mileage just broken in Toyota truck steal...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two years ago an old lady died and I bought her 2000 Outback with 55,000 miles on it. It just had its 100,000 mile birthday a few weeks back and I gave it a nice new gates timing belt kit for a present.
IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, Sequoia. The PO had 10 years of religious dealer/shop maintenance records, new double DIN touch screen stereo, new front seat (cushion/leather), low mile Hankook Dynapro ATMs (even the spare). Everything seems to be in great working order. $5,995 :golfclap:

Awesome on the highway, smooth and refined, really comfortable. Family ski days just got a lot more spacious. Pretty big truck, but not too big. Apparently I do have 4 kids and two big dogs. :eek:

Anybody need a sweet pimpin loaded minivan? Once that goes I need to find a 3rd gen 4Runner for my teens - another high mileage just broken in Toyota truck steal...

Congrats @nay!

If you don't mind me picking your mind, what are the preferred years for a first gen Sequoia? Does one want the updated engine and transmission starting in 2005? Any other considerations?

In my Tundra replacement fantasies, I'm leaning toward a 2nd gen Sequoia or even better a TRD Pro Tundra. Swapping my truck for a 1st gen Sequoia would be the more adult thing to do, but with only 137,000 it's going to be hard to find an equivalent Sequoia. How long were you looking?

Edit: you could always force your teenagers to drive the minivan, saving the cash for counseling to mitigate the psychological damage. :D

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Congrats @nay!

If you don't mind me picking your mind, what are the preferred years for a first gen Sequoia? Does one want the updated engine and transmission starting in 2005? Any other considerations?

In my Tundra replacement fantasies, I'm leaning toward a 2nd gen Sequoia or even better a TRD Pro Tundra. Swapping my truck for a 1st gen Sequoia would be the more adult thing to do, but with only 137,000 it's going to be hard to find an equivalent Sequoia. How long were you looking?

I have the Craigslist app and just set up a search on Land Cruiser and Sequoia - I had thought we might get a second Cruiser since I know so much about them and can do most of the work myself and just run the minivan for as long as it will run. But...

...a couple of months ago a 2007 Limited Sequioa popped up with 293K and my thought was that my van is '07, that's a modern vehicle and could be in killer condition, even if you replace the engine and transmission in 5 years (the Front Range is a great place for non-dealer price expertise) that's under $15K for a $50K vehicle and you get another 250K out of it. Couldn't really get this out of my head.

So when this one popped up I contacted the guy right away, and I didn't want something too old, but didn't really care about the year. I'll admit I prefer the low range shifter in 2004 vs. push button in 2005 (you've seen my Cruiser :) ), but I'd certainly go 2005-07 all else equal, on the basis of refinement.

Those years may be just a little bit quieter - I have a friend with a 2005 Limited with 230K and I drove hers after buying this one to compare (we negotiated 3 days to get an inspection and if it revealed any major defects we could void the sale - I ended up not spending the dimes after the comparison drive). Back to back, there is nothing there that I thought would drive a buying decision...just at the level of the white glove test.

So to me it is all about maintenance, because you can spend a lot quickly. A friend of mine just sold her 100 series Cruiser "because it had 278K miles", somebody who knew better snapped it up for 6K because he works on them and knew the engine was good, she bought a GX4xx (I forget) with 130K to get the miles down and promptly dropped 3K on exhaust and some other stuff.

Anyway, the 4.7L uses a timing belt, which I'm guessing you know. Most people mention this in the ad in terms last time done. It's advised every 90K, service life is about double that. It is one thing not current on my buy, but I can do it myself (a bit of a brutal job, but then try changing an alternator on a Nissan Quest with the Hidden Bolt That Shall Not Be Turned). This one had shop fluid changes by the book, no leaks, immaculate engine bay (it was detailed, but still, you can tell when somebody's battery is cleaner than your kitchen counter).

After that, it's driver's seat condition, the rest of the seats, the stereo, tires, window motors (snappy or sluggish?) and any other system like exhaust that add up quickly. A lot of maintenance is age related, not miles. That's the key when the drivetrain has such a solid high miles reliability record. One day when the kids are off payroll I am going to have a 4.7 swapped into the Cruiser.

Edit: you could always force your teenagers to drive the minivan, saving the cash for counseling to mitigate the psychological damage. :D

For sure - it's a loaded 2007 Nissan Quest and they aren't so minivanesque. Those milquetoasts aren't smart enough to realize the third row folds into the floor leaving an 8' cargo area, and why that might be an advantage... :D

I did talk to my agent about insurance yesterday when taking the hit on the Sequoia (not cheap, the glass is really expensive apparently), and your kids get rated on one vehicle and then can drive the others. If having a minivan rates down the insurance hit quite a bit, then van it is.

But I know one of them will hit the garage, it's a law of nature with kids driving something bigger. I do want them to learn to off-road...that develops so much driver skill in low traction situations and tight spaces, and it's a vehicle based testosterone outlet that doesn't involve speed...

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was wrong about no notable miles until 300K :)

That looks too clean under the hood. Nice work. My dash is dirtier than your engine. I had to scrape the crud off my dash to find the odometer.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^that's the previous owner's engine bay shine. Could eat out of that thing. This ski season will change that :).

Sponsor