• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
What's happened to Toronto? From pathetic to competent, now playing for game 7.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
What's happened to Toronto? From pathetic to competent, now playing for game 7.
Leafs are a young team, or at least their best players are young..and they're playing a bit of a run and gun style..the D is not great..so they can't hold leads all that well. The last two games they've won, they really weren't that good..just lucky..which is part of the game of course. But they are not a polished, methodical playoff team. They rely on scoring and pretty plays, they cannot grind down a team. So if they can score first and keep rolling and get good goal tending, they do ok. But really, if you watch the games, they do not look like a dominant playoff machine like PIttsburgh. Maybe after they get some D talent and let the younger guys mature a bit, but not yet.

Having said all that, they're in game 7 with one of the better playoff style teams..

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Patty marleau is kind of a quiet old gun also. He wore the "C" in San Jose for a few seasons. 2 goals tonight

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Patty marleau is kind of a quiet old gun also. He wore the "C" in San Jose for a few seasons. 2 goals tonight
Yeah, Babcock likes him..he has been a steadying influence. Early on when they went in the tank they had a closed door players-only meeting and the rumour is he told them to believe in themselves, they're good, don't get down. And I think he's been around enough and is quiet enough that when he spoke, it meant something. And they pulled out of the slump and have been much more confident since then. I think they think they can win any game, even if they're down. And really, in Toronto, with the brutal media and fans, confidence is a tough thing to hang onto.. Same in Montreal..when you win, you're kings..when you lose, you're bums..neither of which is true.

James

Out There
Instructor
Goodness, 7-4 Boston! This first round has seen tons of scoring. Though sometimes it's only 1 team.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The first 2 periods had OT written all over it. Did 8 pairs of skis and find out Briuns won.

On to round 2

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
As my dad would say, collapsed like a cheap suitcase.

Gardiner has to go
I know people think that right now..but..I think maybe the role he was asked to play was just too much for him. He's useful in the right role..I wouldn't throw him away just yet..but I understand the sentiment. The question is, who do you replace him with?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know.. I should cut him some slack, he is only a kid. But even in his own words he didn't come to the game.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I know.. I should cut him some slack, he is only a kid. But even in his own words he didn't come to the game.
He's got hamsters in his head..unfortunately..I watch that guy and the talent..man..he's so good physically..but the decision making process sometimes is terrible. And he's not really that young anymore. However..if they keep it simple for him, take his talent as it is, offensive, I think he can be ok. He's done a lot better since Babcock got there..used him more appropriately. Limited his exposure. But on the road they don't have last change and he got caught out. Unfortunately there are only so many Victor Hedman's that come along.. :(

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
leafs did ok.
as good a team they have had since the 60's don't think the outcome was a surprise, just length of series . Not quite there yet, maybe in 2020's
now hopefully the CBC can now stop their usual cheering for the Leafs and pay attention to the Jets

am disappointed in current playoff format.
first round match ups were fine but now 2 of the top 4 teams in league will be out in the second round while other's are assured to advance.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tuka has done some good things for us but while he can't take all the blame for the recent losses, he just missed the bad goalie of the week award. I got out of a meeting late on Monday and started watching game 6 at the beginning of the 3rd period. About halfway through the 3rd the bruins hadn't put a shot on net in the first 10 minutes.

I still miss the old style hockey playoffs, but I was looking for tickets this week and the garden was sold out so I guess they're doing something right.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The B's didn't have much showing in the past two games and two periods. A count of turn overs and missed passes will show how "off" they have been.
It showed on the score line as well.

With a couple of 4 on 4 goals to boost their involvement, the BBB showed up in the final stanza.
We like the B's! ;-)

Muleski

Inactive
B's fan, here. At the game last night. They pulled it together in the third, plain and simple. An odd series. It was the first round matchup that I did NOT want to see, and after the first two games, I was shaking my head as the Maple Leafs couldn't handle the B's top line, at all. And Tuukka Rask was seeing everything. Then what a bunch of momentum swings.

After the first period last night, I was thinking that things were just ugly. Rask was not playing well, nor was Charra, and the B's has no offense going. These guys should have some real offense. It sound like there was no panic in the locker room, and that before the third period, they resolved to play their game, and Tuukka played well. Boom!

They're going to need to be a lot more consistent in the next series. Fingers crossed. This team is interesting to watch. A bunch of seasoned guys, and some very, very, talented young guys. Like everybody, they have some banged up players. Charlie McCoy at 100% is a real difference maker.

On to the next series...........

Sponsor

Staff online