• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Gathering, March 23rd to 26th

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@Tony S , @mdf , @KevinF

Hey New Englanders,

Between Waitsfield, Waterbury, and Stowe, which would you say is the most charming idyllic town one would enjoy walking around and sight seeing/shopping, if one were not skiing? Since I've roped Peter into yet another ski trip after promising not to, several trips ago, I want to make this trip nice for him. I may choose a nicer than usual hotel(for us) in one of these towns. Normally when I'm alone, I go bare bones cheap (as long as clean and safe).

If there are any other amazing VT towns within reach of Stowe and Sugarbush not listed above, please let me know.

Thanks!

k

None of the towns you mention are more then a few blocks long at most. Montpelier is the closest "city" that would actually take more then a morning to explore, but it's still walkable. Burlington is the a real city... walking around the Church Street mall area could keep you occupied for a day or two.

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
I would second Burlington as the best place for walking around (and eating). More very small city than small town but the church st pedestrian mall is wonderful for hanging out. Try the farmhouse tap or the taco place in an old diner owned by the same people.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
@Tony S , @mdf , @KevinF

Hey New Englanders,

Between Waitsfield, Waterbury, and Stowe, which would you say is the most charming idyllic town one would enjoy walking around and sight seeing/shopping, if one were not skiing? Since I've roped Peter into yet another ski trip after promising not to, several trips ago, I want to make this trip nice for him. I may choose a nicer than usual hotel(for us) in one of these towns. Normally when I'm alone, I go bare bones cheap (as long as clean and safe).

If there are any other amazing VT towns within reach of Stowe and Sugarbush not listed above, please let me know.

Thanks!

k

Another thought... Is Peter into nature type things? Hikes? One thing Stowe has is Smuggler's Notch (i.e., the road, not the resort). Taking a hike up through the notch in the winter is simply spectacular. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, go ice climbing. There's got to be outfits in the Stowe region that will give you a guided tour of the notch. As we were skiing through the notch on Sunday we saw a couple snowshoeers and ice climbers heading up.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing about New England towns is they are small.

The cool part of Waterbury is about 2 blocks plus around one corner, and is packed with all those restaurants Kevin can't get us into.
The hotels are not really in town, but rather by the Interstate. (Well, "The Old Stagecoach Inn" looks very New Englandy on Google and is in a better location-- but I know nothing about it.)

Waitsfield is even smaller, though the Inn at Round Barn Farm gets great reviews, if you can get in. I think I remember it is a @Tony S favorite.

The retail district in Stowe is slightly larger than Waterbury, though without the famous breweries and restaurants. A lot of the good food and shopping is spread out on the Mountain Road, which goes from the town of Stowe up to the ski area.

Montpelier is a mixed bag. It has a nice central business district, but a lot of the size is because it is the state capitol, so there is quite a bit of "real world" mixed in to the movie set.

Give Google Street View a spin and see what they look like.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Kevin, have you tried Zen Barn in Waterbury? My friend Ari owns it, cool spot/ good food. I can talk to him if you need/want me to.

Thanks for the recommendation... If you could call ahead, that would be great. I'm thinking wie'll have a crowd of 8-10 people. I can call in the morning as well.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The thing about New England towns is they are small.

The cool part of Waterbury is about 2 blocks plus around one corner, and is packed with all those restaurants Kevin can't get us into.
The hotels are not really in town, but rather by the Interstate. (Well, "The Old Stagecoach Inn" looks very New Englandy on Google and is in a better location-- but I know nothing about it.)

Waitsfield is even smaller, though the Inn at Round Barn Farm gets great reviews, if you can get in. I think I remember it is a @Tony S favorite.

The retail district in Stowe is slightly larger than Waterbury, though without the famous breweries and restaurants. A lot of the good food and shopping is spread out on the Mountain Road, which goes from the town of Stowe up to the ski area.

Montpelier is a mixed bag. It has a nice central business district, but a lot of the size is because it is the state capitol, so there is quite a bit of "real world" mixed in to the movie set.

Give Google Street View a spin and see what they look like.

Round Barn is great. If you stay there, the restaurant at The Pitcher Inn is worth a visit.

Right in the center of the town of Stowe is Harrison's (probably best food in Stowe). Plate is not bad and neither is The Whip, in the basement of The Green Mountain Inn. Cork has a nice wine list and great cheese platter and small plates.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
On the other hand, people spend a few days exploring Woodstock! Many of its charms (Vermont Institute of Natural Science, Billings Farm & Museum, and more) are better in warm weather, though.

I'm not sure what @Pumba is seeking - I was responding to the "charming, idyllic New England town" - might mean different things to different people.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone! I ended up booking in Waterbury at the Fairfield inn & suites. I also convinced Peter to ski both days we are there - sugarbush & Stowe. he’s thrilled.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone! I ended up booking in Waterbury at the Fairfield inn & suites. I also convinced Peter to ski both days we are there - sugarbush & Stowe. he’s thrilled.

That is where we are staying!

Great hotel. Good choice.

James

Out There
Instructor
People in Waterbury need to go here. Outside of town, (which isn't quaint btw, but maybe more so than Kton). Make bread and pastries from local, Quebec, wheat. You can even buy flour from VT grown wheat. There's also Steph's chocolates next door which are decent. Better than Lake Champlain choc, though that's a low bar.

IMG_4904.JPG
http://www.redhenbaking.com/

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
People in Waterbury need to go here. Outside of town, (which isn't quaint btw, but maybe more so than Kton). Make bread and pastries from local, Quebec, wheat. You can even buy flour from VT grown wheat. There's also Steph's chocolates next door which are decent. Better than Lake Champlain choc, though that's a low bar.

View attachment 42240
http://www.redhenbaking.com/

Breakfast on the way to Sugarbush on Saturday.... DONE!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Red hen is amazing.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Oh, I am seriously bummed. Work changed the training schedule for the new computer system. Guess where I have to be Monday and Tuesday half days? B*stards. I'll do my best for the weekend!

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Oh, I am seriously bummed. Work changed the training schedule for the new computer system. Guess where I have to be Monday and Tuesday half days? B*stards. I'll do my best for the weekend!

I'm sorry, but for everybody's benefit, curse words such as "work" will not be allowed during my gathering. :D

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, so what skis should I bring? K2 Pinnacle 88 or Vokl RTM 81? I assume wider would not be useful.

Can only bring one ski - Der Gathermeister may not pick me up from MHTif I fly with a quiver. :D And I don’t want to lug a double ski bag.

I paid into Medicare and SS a lot the past 10 days; looking forward to the time off. :philgoat:

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Ok, so what skis should I bring? K2 Pinnacle 88 or Vokl RTM 81? I assume wider would not be useful.

Can only bring one ski - Der Gathermeister may not pick me up from MHTif I fly with a quiver. :D And I don’t want to lug a double ski bag.

I paid into Medicare and SS a lot the past 10 days; looking forward to the time off. :philgoat:

I'd think you'd want the 88's. It was easy to sink a pole up the grips out in Angel Food woods on Sunday.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Stowe Report....

Crazy good groomers today,as fun on my monsters 83 or my Enforcer 93. Bumps are still chaulk to soft, woods are chaulkly to soft, to wind blow powder. My Monster 83 were a handful in some of the less traveled woods today but the E93 were basically perfect while giving up very little on the groom.

So far I think the snowpack will remain winter like at Stowe at least on the quad and Gondi Groomers, Spruce and off piste on the Gondihas been sunbaked and unless its sunny and warm when skiing there stuff like Angel food will be meh.... The Quad woods are much better.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got this in my inbox

Over 5 feet of snow has fallen this month. Our bases are deep and the snow is soft. Thanks Mother Nature! With comfortable temperatures forecasted this weekend, get out and enjoy some sweet, sweet turns.

Island Celebration
Saturday, March 24
Spring fever takes over Sugarbush with live reggae music, island cuisine, drink specials, volleyball tournaments, tiki bars, hula dancing and more.

Island in the Sky Luau
Saturday, March 24
Skin or hike up to Walt's at the Glen House, which is open until 8 PM for a fun Hawaiian party with great food and jammin' music. A guided Tour de Sol meets at the Mt. Ellen base lodge at 3:45 PM and heads uphill at 4:00 PM. Unguided skinning and hiking also begins at 4:00 PM.

Sponsor

Staff online