• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Gathering, March 23rd to 26th

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can handle it Dave. There are less hairy trails and pretty hairy trails and the conditions will be outstanding. Just don't follow that John L character around and you'll be fine.

At least the John L character notices ropes at head level... Oh!

I was looking forward to leading you in the woods at Plattekill this weekend, but have to work to be able to ski this VT trip.

And to be clear, I find the stupid stuff in VT, which I like skiing down. But I don't ski it anywhere near the same level as people like Josh. And the VT stupid stuff generally wont kill you, but it may mess with your ski bases, your ego and you may need to drop a 3-4 foot ledge in tight conditions. (Big air in the trees and in general is for folks like Josh.)

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't... that whole area was closed when I was at Sugarbush earlier this year. We did ski Ripcord, but it had been groomed (where it wasn't ice) sometime in the previous few days.

If that was directed at me, I'm working on it! :) I was an occasional-wedge-z-turner two seasons ago, and have progressed to some easy blacks out west. Seems like progress, but I'm still not up for everything, like real trees. (If I could do some easy trees to start learning, that would be awesome.)

MRG has a lot of bump trails - pretty much 70 percent of the mountain if not a pow day. I'd suggest not skiing the trees there - the exception being a few very open glades off the double. There are a few trails with ledges, but only a few, and you won't be going down them. You'll need to be on your tight turns though; that place can be relenting at times.

I love the place. And the snow should be pretty decent, even by western standards. But even with decent snow, expect more rocks.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, I have to work Sunday afternoon and Monday, so I'm not making it to Stowe. I'd love to get there at some point though.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll need to be on your tight turns though; that place can be relenting at times.

Hmm... that's one of the reasons I don't ski trees... I am not confident in places where you have to make tight turns without missing one. I falling leafed my way down a little chute at Alta because I couldn't make the turns others did.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... that's one of the reasons I don't ski trees... I am not confident in places where you have to make tight turns without missing one. I falling leafed my way down a little chute at Alta because I couldn't make the turns others did.

I agree with Tony, you should go. There is stuff you can ski there and it is a special place.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Hear! Hear! ...I'm already plotting my next escape....I'll wait before submitting my request for a week off in April though. Don't want to startle anyone just yet.

As for the New England Gathering, I may be able to convince Peter to drive me there, after he's seen how happy the Gathering has made me. BUT, I promised him I would try to get a ride on here first....

So, anyone driving up from the NYC Metro area have any room in their car? Me: one pair of skis and one boot bag. I can ride a train to meet at locations outside of the city, as I know what an extreme PITA it is to drive in the city....So far, I've only booked the Friday, March 23rd off, but can tweak the schedule pretty easily....

And if I do make it up, I am totally down for a discount Stowe ticket @Josh Matta . Thanks a lot!

Lastly, anyone thinking of Mad River Glen? I'm intrigued and I feel like I should go if we're already in the area.

k

If I make it up there, MRG is a must do for me!

Last edited:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi everyone,

Where are the non locals staying? I have yet to book lodging and would like to know if there’s a certain hotel people are gravitating towards.

Also, Peter and I are in for the group dinner on Saturday, if there still is one.

Thanks!

K

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@JohnL and I will be at Best Western in Waterbury.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Also, Peter and I are in for the group dinner on Saturday, if there still is one.

I'm still looking for a place in Waterbury that will accept reservations on a Saturday night... :( I'll expand the search over to Montpelier.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi everyone,

Where are the non locals staying? I have yet to book lodging and would like to know if there’s a certain hotel people are gravitating towards.

Thanks!

K

We are staying at the Marriott Waterbury.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still looking for a place in Waterbury that will accept reservations on a Saturday night... :( I'll expand the search over to Montpelier.

We are staying at the Marriott Waterbury

When I moved to Vermont in 1988, Waterbury was nothing - a little old town on the wrong side of the highway interchange from Stowe, forgotten after the years when the "state hospital" was still a thing. I'm not sure there were any restaurants in town, let alone ones that would be turning away reservations. Maybe there was a diner or something. I sold wine, and don't remember making any stops there.

On the Stowe side of 89 I guess Ben and Jerry were there, and the cider mill. That was about it as I recall. No hotels, No supermarkets. What a change.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Waterbury is one of the best places in the state to live for young professionals with families. Easy access to Montpellier, Burlington, Stowe and the Mad River Valley. World class mountain biking, skiing and the Waterbury Resevoir for aquatic recreation.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Waterbury is one of the best places in the state to live for young professionals with families. Easy access to Montpellier, Burlington, Stowe and the Mad River Valley. World class mountain biking, skiing and the Waterbury Resevoir for aquatic recreation.

@Tony S , @mdf , @KevinF

Hey New Englanders,

Between Waitsfield, Waterbury, and Stowe, which would you say is the most charming idyllic town one would enjoy walking around and sight seeing/shopping, if one were not skiing? Since I've roped Peter into yet another ski trip after promising not to, several trips ago, I want to make this trip nice for him. I may choose a nicer than usual hotel(for us) in one of these towns. Normally when I'm alone, I go bare bones cheap (as long as clean and safe).

If there are any other amazing VT towns within reach of Stowe and Sugarbush not listed above, please let me know.

Thanks!

k

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Tony S , @mdf , @KevinF

Hey New Englanders,

Between Waitsfield, Waterbury, and Stowe, which would you say is the most charming idyllic town one would enjoy walking around and sight seeing/shopping, if one were not skiing? Since I've roped Peter into yet another ski trip after promising not to, several trips ago, I want to make this trip nice for him. I may choose a nicer than usual hotel(for us) in one of these towns. Normally when I'm alone, I go bare bones cheap (as long as clean and safe).

If there are any other amazing VT towns within reach of Stowe and Sugarbush not listed above, please let me know.

Thanks!

k

I would say Stowe.

But, Waterbury is nice enough, and so is Montpelier. Waitsfield not so much.

Not sure you will have the time to travel very far if you are going to be skiing, but Burlington is worth a visit.

We also liked Shelburne, which is close to Burlington.

Had a great visit to Woodstock as well.

Last edited:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Burlington is a great small city, but Stowe, Waterbury, Montpelier, and Woodstock are more small-town. Woodstock is lovely but farther south than the others.