• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@tball here is your bike. New Stumpjumper is a perfect bike for Colorado where you don’t need Enduro class. It’s the previous ST (I own this bike) seriously improved by moving to a single pivot link. 130/130 29’er with major focus on weight and pedaling performance.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This may be my next cassette. Lighter than XX1 or XTR and quite a bit cheaper than both, and the big alloy gears that wear quicker are separately replaceable.

Sexy, too.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Salida on Sunday. Should have stayed home. Local marathon and half marathon had most trails clogged with runners and I got caught by the wildfire on hwy 115 and it took forever to get home. Not sure why the fire pics are mixed in like this, but it does make the riding seem epic.

DF0058AA-704C-4CF2-8AE5-6000FA684937.jpeg
506AD965-9575-4F30-B8C6-D3BB201E8E0B.jpeg
A223B9CD-75AD-40B6-9A36-9D7178E50C32.jpeg
C06B92FF-557D-479A-B45A-1FE9B4482F7A.jpeg
A3FD2B8E-2213-4AFF-9097-01EB748AAE5D.jpeg
C09E1F77-CDF4-4D21-9DB3-B0DCDAA268D2.jpeg
9798FFB6-D9EB-4AB4-AFBD-066EC758BC6F.jpeg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The conditions went from mega-dust to tacky, firm and, in some places, icy over the weekend.

IMG_20201013_113920295_HDR - Copy.jpg

Upper Preston Way

IMG_20201013_114006659_HDR - Copy.jpg

IMG_20201013_114840441_HDR - Copy.jpg

Draw Road (left) and Sawmill Road (right). Unlike Sawmill Parkway at Breck which is a flat road requiring skating and/or poling to keep going, Sawmill Road has some steep sections. I only point out this irony because Breck has used local locations for their trail names.

IMG_20201013_124225765_HDR - Copy.jpg

The ski area. Note all the foliage is gone. There were down trees which have been absent for a couple months as our weather lately involved lots of wind.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I rode tonight but it was perhaps the last ride of my full sus bike for the year. It was about 13*f and well.. the suspension didn't really do much of anything helpful. My lights on the other hand did fantastic and I am pretty happy with my light set up for 90minute or less riding conditions. Didn't take any pictures as I had been expecting mid 20's for the ride and not 13*. I was missing a couple of key items to keep warm with, a headband for the ears and winterweight gloves on the hands.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
We got first snow, and quite some of it, in mountains here, and down in valley temperature dropped down to some +5c, which means no more mtb for me. Well it would end either way, as my Canyon developed some play around main pivot. Alu insert which is part of carbon frame, and where main pivot bearings are pressed in, obviously got lose and has some play, so bike is not really usable anymore. Canyon has 6 years warranty on frame, so I hope it will be solved within warranty, but I have no idea how it will go and how long it will take. Well... if it had to happen, then it couldn't happen in better time. Whole season went by flawlessly, it was fun, and I would finish it now anyway :) Now I keep my fingers crossed all will be fine, as I really like this bike, not to mention, I have no special wish to pay some 5 or 6000eur for new one just yet :D

20201013_130445_arrow.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@tball here is your bike. New Stumpjumper is a perfect bike for Colorado where you don’t need Enduro class. It’s the previous ST (I own this bike) seriously improved by moving to a single pivot link. 130/130 29’er with major focus on weight and pedaling performance.

Man, that looks like a fantastic bike.

Unfortunately, I've got a hangup about needing two bottle cages. Works well to narrow the field quickly, though!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Man, that looks like a fantastic bike.

Unfortunately, I've got a hangup about needing two bottle cages. Works well to narrow the field quickly, though!

Spesh is killing it right now. Apparently it’s a 140 front/130 rear, Fox 34 Grip2 fork at top level, 27 lbs. 6 sizes with reach from 410mm to 527mm so you don’t get stuck between sizes.

Take a longer look at the specs :)...the SWAT storage in the frame is 15% larger and it now comes with a water bladder that is shaped to the lower frame. So one inside SWAT and one on the SWAT bottle holder, for when you need both.

Dakine also makes a hip pack that holds 2 liters and it is surprisingly non-invasive to riding and only costs $50.

Last edited:

Joel

Having fun
Skier
That looks interesting. I just looked at my Ibis and I would be afraid a 9 tooth cog will make the chain saw into my chain stay. Something to pay attention to.

This may be my next cassette. Lighter than XX1 or XTR and quite a bit cheaper than both, and the big alloy gears that wear quicker are separately replaceable.

Sexy, too.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Well, looking at the latest Cameron fire updates, my favorite riding area is in jeopardy. There are also a lot of homes around that area. Mandatory evacuation orders have been given. I hope everyone there is OK and getting out. As much as I would regret the loss of where I like to ride, peoples homes and lives are more important.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That looks interesting. I just looked at my Ibis and I would be afraid a 9 tooth cog will make the chain saw into my chain stay. Something to pay attention to.

Definitely a concern - we don’t spend much time in that gear but it would be interesting to see if the 9 tooth causes any issues. Suspect reviews will address that issue.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing special except a few larch just starting the transition to golden. Oh, and my new home stomping grounds -- Whitefish MT. Finally took a quick break from the joy of moving/unpacking and got out for a two hour spin. Felt great!

IMG_3442.JPG

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I was curious about this too at first glance.

...but it comes in purple, so I think that makes up for any problems it causes :roflmao:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
9 tooth cogs are super draggy, the chain has to bend so much as it goes around the cog it's like pedaling a square.

I remember seeing an analysis of this by Shimano when SRAM went from 11t to 10t. The drop in efficiency was huge. Not linear at all, so I expect that's even more of a factor when dropping from 10 to 9.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
They use them a lot on freestyle BMX bikes and you can feel it clunk over each tooth.

Honestly I feel like it would matter little for MTB but would suck on Campy's new Ekar group.

Reactions: nay

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing special except a few larch just starting the transition to golden. Oh, and my new home stomping grounds -- Whitefish MT. Finally took a quick break from the joy of moving/unpacking and got out for a two hour spin. Felt great!

View attachment 112430
I'm quite envious. My dearest friend in the world permanently moved there last year. She's in heaven.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I though you had the Stumpjumper EVO? You just made it evo-like yourself by modding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online