• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Bought a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 rack. I would be a cool kid now if I had a AWD car.

View attachment 51375

I can almost open the upper hatch with the rack folded up, just have to lower it about 4”. Really slick and simple, good looking, and nice and light at 32 lbs.

That rig is plenty cool!

Reactions: nay

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I know. But this is a 2019....it is't on the manufacturers site yet. :popcorn: I did take some pics and just dropped them off here...
This_is_a_typical_drive-up_Fotomat_booth..jpg

I should have them back any day. :P

Cool.

Maybe then you can xerox the best shot and fax it out to Premium Members?!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I seem to get stung by a yellow jacket once or twice a year, so I am overdue for this summer. Got one last year on the lip but never in the mouth.
I had an embarrassing incident a number of years ago when one was getting me right below the waistline. As I jumped off my bike to drop trou right in the middle of the street, I looked up to see one of the neighbor ladies getting the full Monty view :eek: .

This guy just showed up on my deck, so I guess it’s time to start paying attention.
View attachment 51945

I have had the slide out tire and crash issue with the stock tires that came on my last two bikes bikes but since I can’t remember the model I will leave the brand nameless. Mostly I’ve been running 2.3 then 2.4 Maxis highroller II’s on both ends simply cuz I can just rotate the front to the rear & put the fresh rubber up front. The Maxis tires have always been grippy and durable, so no complaints. They are a bit sluggish compared to the stock tires of the other brand but they have always worked well for me over the past 10 or so years. About a month ago I was going to switch to a Minion in front but my local shop owner convinced me to try a 2.6 Tioga (anyone ever heard of them?). So far they have been bomber in our very sandy decomposed granite (DG) conditions. Only time will tell if they equal the durability of the Maxxis.

While I am here, a few recent photos.

New to me trail section
View attachment 51944

Tuesday (mostly) old guy ride
View attachment 51953

Tired bikes
View attachment 51952

We have been lucky in South Lake Tahoe with only a few bad days of smoke a couple of weeks ago. Even though I often see big banks of smoke just to the north & just to the south, my area seems to be escaping it for the most part.
View attachment 51950

View attachment 51951

I am returning to Utah next week to take care of some business. Hoping the recent rain storm has improved conditions along with some lower temperatures & an end to the smoke... @AmyPJ ?

So, conditions are a bit better for sure, but unless it rains again...that being said, it is finally cooling off and the smoke is coming and going depending on the winds.
Let's ride when you get here! PowMow has some fun new trails.

And I'd expose it all to get rid of a yellow jacket, too! LOL!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rode a 2019 Stumpjumper Comp yesterday, and now I want that bike. I can't get it right now, but comparing that bike to my Hawk Hill makes me think I'm going to end up with a new mountain bike when my daughter's done with college.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Swollen throat? Time to get an epi pen.

Nah, I'm not allergic to them. It's only because of where I was stung that the glands swelled. My throat itself and airway weren't affected. Basically localized swelling which is typical with a yellow jacket sting. Benadryl managed it pretty well.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Nah, I'm not allergic to them. It's only because of where I was stung that the glands swelled. My throat itself and airway weren't affected. Basically localized swelling which is typical with a yellow jacket sting. Benadryl managed it pretty well.

Got it.

I had an anaphylactic reaction to a shot. Not recommended.

AWilde

Booting up
Skier
I ran away from Nevada's smoke problem a few weeks ago to ride in Utah. Anyone who gets out to the Park City area really should drive a bit further and check out the High Star Ranch trail network in Kamas. The trails were a blast, dedicated downhill trails, big banked turns, lots of fun rock features, and bypasses for the bigger stuff.
HighStar Berm.jpg HighStar Rocks.jpg HighStar Map.jpg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Thinking about some new brakes for the 'ol vessel. Currently on M980 XTR w180s F/R, wavering between Hope E4s, Saints, and (outside contender) the new 4-pot XTs.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thinking about some new brakes for the 'ol vessel. Currently on M980 XTR w180s F/R, wavering between Hope E4s, Saints, and (outside contender) the new 4-pot XTs.
My Norco Optic came with Sram Guide Ultimate 4-pot brakes and they are excellent. My previous bike had XT 2-pot and I like the Sram a lot better.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I rode a 2019 Stumpjumper Comp yesterday, and now I want that bike. I can't get it right now, but comparing that bike to my Hawk Hill makes me think I'm going to end up with a new mountain bike when my daughter's done with college.
I didn't think I needed a new bike when I got back into riding this year, but I (and Phil) ended up getting new bikes after demoing some and getting excited about biking again.

I just wish the allergies weren't making it so hard to breathe.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ran away from Nevada's smoke problem a few weeks ago to ride in Utah. Anyone who gets out to the Park City area really should drive a bit further and check out the High Star Ranch trail network in Kamas. The trails were a blast, dedicated downhill trails, big banked turns, lots of fun rock features, and bypasses for the bigger stuff.
View attachment 52067 View attachment 52068 View attachment 52069
We should get together for a rid some time.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 52067 View attachment 52068 View attachment 52069
I plan to hit those trails on the fall.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
didn't think I needed a new bike when I got back into riding this year, but I (and Phil) ended up getting new bikes after demoing some and getting excited about biking again.
That's great that you both were able to demo and find bikes you liked. I am curious about the Triggers.

I just got my Hawk Hill last year. I didn't get to demo it. It's an entry-level bike that got good reviews. I couldn't (can't) afford a better bike when I bought it. Plus I wasn't sure how much I would actually ride it.

I've always felt like the Hawk Hill is somehow hard to handle, but I wasn't sure how much was the bike and how much was me. I just felt so comfortable riding the Stumpjumper. It's balanced, it's nimble, and I could trust it. I want it!

I just wish the allergies weren't making it so hard to breathe.
The air quality has been bad for a long-time now. I hope it clears up soon and that your allergies get better. I still want to ride with you one of these days.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will be up at N Lake this coming Labor Day weekend. Will likely do a family MTB ride at either North Tahoe Regional XC Park or Tahoe Donner Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. Will likely only hitting green trails.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will be up at N Lake this coming Labor Day weekend. Will likely do a family MTB ride at either North Tahoe Regional XC Park or Tahoe Donner Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. Will likely only hitting green trails.
There are lots of green trails at Tahoe XC. Is that the same as North Tahoe Regional XC Park? Off Fabian? Have fun!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've always felt like the Hawk Hill is somehow hard to handle, but I wasn't sure how much was the bike and how much was me. I just felt so comfortable riding the Stumpjumper. It's balanced, it's nimble, and I could trust it. I want it!
Isn't it crazy when you demo something and something clicks?
The air quality has been bad for a long-time now. I hope it clears up soon and that your allergies get better. I still want to ride with you one of these days.
I do too, its just been odd how our schedules haven't synced.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't it crazy when you demo something and something clicks?
And then you don't know if you should keep demoing or just buy? Actually, I can't buy now. I'll try to demo a few more so that when I can buy I'm even more sure (or as sure as you can be when you're spending that much on a bike).

I do too, its just been odd how our schedules have been off.
My foot surgery has thrown my whole summer off. It's nice not working, but I've only been able to start riding a little the past few weeks. How do September and October look for you?

Sponsor

Staff online