• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2018

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The mountains look a little hazy from Longmont. I wonder if that's smoke from the SW.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My young friend and I rode this trail near Wenatchee, WA yesterday. Very rowdy, rocky downhill, especially for the first two miles of the eleven mile descent. I'll be back, for sure!

View attachment 47465
My sister lives in Cashmere. Never thought to bring my bike that way (although I rarely drive there, usually fly into Seattle.) Sounds like it was fun!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A few from the past week...
3F6E86A0-5838-4418-B85D-E9FDDEED3C0F.jpeg

8CECDDEC-3407-4CFE-A6FD-1B3A9E5FBF32.jpeg

3F96397D-1043-46EC-8B0B-AE5BD693862A.jpeg

E5A19F96-DE45-400B-A32B-EFABD4967C83.jpeg

69CE8A66-C346-4DA5-85E0-B58CD3AB13E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My sister lives in Cashmere. Never thought to bring my bike that way (although I rarely drive there, usually fly into Seattle.) Sounds like it was fun!

I probed around on the lower trails today and had a fun ride. If you ever end up wanting to ride there, PM me, and I'll give you a ride recommendation (Red Devil to Red Hill, then reverse course -- high quality trail, no tech, and three bitchin climbs).

Just seven miles south of Cashmere on Mission Creek Boulevard.

Unrelated: @4ster, your action shots are always great to see. Thanks! I'm always too lazy/selfish for much other than static "here's where we were today" kind of shots.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if it's the new bike with the 1X or what, but I'm kind of smashing a lot of my old downhill PRs. Yet, I don't feel like I'm going that much faster! Climbing has always been my strength, and my climbs are on par with the past (with a few PRs here and there, but nothing earth shattering.) Anyway, the more I bike, the more I really love it. :D

@4ster, when will you be out here to join us?!

l_hJMt_phxhG1jy4MwxIqaKqgZMlrrN4LpQKLBeZucJac37rKqZWQuhtxe9lUdbZZ7fPt4Cj3gsIgt926QDbaj0tf78j3GOmE6lAfxYiB2QI3-3FrcgYQ7X2xBi_fpzcX39yIw4NgTAGsQ0YhYMJAW2w-flx0W5o_XJ78KvpZ6kCdcNPyjlX-N7vjWQ-KzMsrrZFAcXKKQ1J7WdLD9URdTWwVok-E1tasdMBIw3p6RI3gOLear2HMrn7YPcxM0Nk4fqUPoMQyuiZt6i7LS0-eToMYZtLiILenr72U3JdLaxgiOorQvWhD4nhSRc5np3SUBeGuRlKPexWanTzSwWAwVE1XMLvF0RX8nqdUX02_ogSr9bZqgHoCb-Dxyq2hfNPL5NxaZbOAVsUR3QiTo8qBTlfi7-Tgx5ZPLIWeiv1UkcyYeQEYImre0xFankOX1fcrZnblauahCCTlDo7Z5U20dR3_g9rR9Xc2H1DuQk4pSxRNUaMaKT5IjnOGYwkleRgyHP-o74ps_nMxW7KdYDr4l0SMdeMUggPHurcIcLwE6M5cPmz8PLHL0YaJ1yv7uFbPMUSItLI4ZZPY1WAi0gMtNTXB_9jlW-CfJPilSQ=w605-h631-no

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today we rode the Falls Creek Loop outside Carson WA, and added on an out and back of the infamous Terminator Trail. Climbing this trail involves approximately zero flow. You must gain the ~1,000 feet of vertical one root and rock at a time. Descending it is a bit like spinning the karmic wheel of pedal strike death, because about every other tuft of grass hides a stump or rock behind it -- about six inches off the six inch wide single track.

A damn good day of brown, velcro-like dirt!

Terminator 2018.jpeg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Holy crap! I just did a lower leg service on my fork for the first time. What a difference in the initial 10-15mm of travel. Way smoother on small hits.

A bit pissed i let it go so long. Service for a Rockshox was all detailed online, only required buying a bit of grease, oil, and a syringe. Can't wait to get out on the trails this weekend.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Holy crap! I just did a lower leg service on my fork for the first time. What a difference in the initial 10-15mm of travel. Way smoother on small hits.

A bit pissed i let it go so long. Service for a Rockshox was all detailed online, only required buying a bit of grease, oil, and a syringe. Can't wait to get out on the trails this weekend.

Where do you ride?

I feel my suspension feels a bit smoother after "break-in" got the bike recently and the fork was a touch stiff (I mean, it was still smooth) but I feel its even smoother now. How many miles between service? I have been riding rocky AF trails. Well, most of the trails around here have plenty of rocky sections (chunk!). Its one of the reasons I got a beefier bike than I would normally get and so far it has been the right choice.

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 9.15.31 PM.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you ride?

I feel my suspension feels a bit smoother after "break-in" got the bike recently and the fork was a touch stiff (I mean, it was still smooth) but I feel its even smoother now. How many miles between service? I have been riding rocky AF trails. Well, most of the trails around here have plenty of rocky sections (chunk!). Its one of the reasons I got a beefier bike than I would normally get and so far it has been the right choice.

View attachment 47738

Hours between services vary, but honestly, annually works for most people. If you aren't racing enduros every weekend, the Fox DPX2 shock and 36 Fork will probably go 200 hours with minimal attention (see @jmeb comment above on lower leg service, which any competent shop can do if you're uncomfortable with it).

That DPX2 shock is the shizzle! Make sure and swap out internal volume reducers and experience how much that affects various aspects of the ride. Super simple to do. Like shock still on bike 10 minutes easy.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Where do you ride?

View attachment 47738

Ride around Denver front range mostly: Golden, Lyons, Morrison, etc. This weekend (assuming weather cooperates) I'm trying to sneak in rides around Summit, Leadville, and/or Eagle. I like both buff flowy trails (Buffalo creek, Lair, 3 sisters) and chunkier stuff like Deer Canyon etc.

Mine was way overdue for lower leg service. I don't track my miles so I can't say exactly. There is definitely a break-in for seals etc. But I'm pretty sure my fork shipped with not enough oil in the lowers, which is pretty common for RockShocks.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ride around Denver front range mostly: Golden, Lyons, Morrison, etc. This weekend (assuming weather cooperates) I'm trying to sneak in rides around Summit, Leadville, and/or Eagle. I like both buff flowy trails (Buffalo creek, Lair, 3 sisters) and chunkier stuff like Deer Canyon etc.

Mine was way overdue for lower leg service. I don't track my miles so I can't say exactly. There is definitely a break-in for seals etc. But I'm pretty sure my fork shipped with not enough oil in the lowers, which is pretty common for RockShocks.

Rode the Deer Creek trails for the first time ever yesterday and man the climb up was tough! had to walk quite a few parts. Loved it on the downhill, well except the wall. I am not that brave yet! The upper loops were really nice and flowy for the most part. loved the whole area.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Nice little ride down at Perry Hill in Waterbury, VT today. We were there specifically for a Kona demo so we did a one hour lap up to the top then down Burning Spear to Campfire, so a pretty abbreviated loop. 40 minutes up and about 30 down. Ouch that place has some steep and relentless climbing. The kid (reluctantly) demoed a Kona Process 153 carbon. It may be time to replace her Intense Tracer2 which she loves, but things are starting to rattle a bit, and replacements can be hard to come by (Bos fork parts anyone?). She was pretty skeptical of an "endure" bike's ability to climb, but was pleasantly surprised by it's willingness to scoot. One the downs she said it was great "I'm like oh I missed my line, and it's like no problem, this line is fine too". She liked it a lot, only real gripe was boost spacing had her calfs rubbing on the seat stays or rocker link.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice little ride down at Perry Hill in Waterbury, VT today. We were there specifically for a Kona demo so we did a one hour lap up to the top then down Burning Spear to Campfire, so a pretty abbreviated loop. 40 minutes up and about 30 down. Ouch that place has some steep and relentless climbing. The kid (reluctantly) demoed a Kona Process 153 carbon. It may be time to replace her Intense Tracer2 which she loves, but things are starting to rattle a bit, and replacements can be hard to come by (Bos fork parts anyone?). She was pretty skeptical of an "endure" bike's ability to climb, but was pleasantly surprised by it's willingness to scoot. One the downs she said it was great "I'm like oh I missed my line, and it's like no problem, this line is fine too". She liked it a lot, only real gripe was boost spacing had her calfs rubbing on the seat stays or rocker link.

I've been trying to remember where I went in Waterbury with some friends a long time ago. Is Perry Hill the place where you park near a river, ride through a field, and then up a big hill? Pretty bad description since it describes most of Vermont, but I know we were in Waterbury and I think it was right off route 100, which looks like Perry Hill.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You can't just post that without a story!

Story amounts to don’t be an idiot.

I was climbing the CT on segment 6 outside of Breck, wasn’t paying attention (ie trying to find a breath on that desperate climb) front tire slipped off a root, and voila.

Going to ride this tomorrow am based on the bar tenders rec: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5585216

Umm...3 out of 4 pictures agree with this statement.

A little blood is just a sign you were trying to ride at your limit :).

Sponsor

Staff online