• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Only thing living in Omaha - Breckenridge and Lutsen are about the exact same drive for me (and I have a season pass in Breck, and since we own a timeshare on Peak 7 I get free parking and a locker there).

Still I like exploring smaller areas...

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Welch closing seems like a biz decision. They've definitely got snow. I don't pretend to understand the economics of running a ski hill so I won't be too harsh on them.

I ski Welch with my kids and I have to concur that this feels like a business decision that was set in stone weeks ago. Last weekend, Saturday, the conditions were horrible (ice) and most of the lifts were closed. There was no one there, MAYBE 75-50 cars and that included the staff, patrol, and guests.

Welch seemed to have a tough year. Between the weather at Christmas, MLK and Presidents weekend that kept guests at bay the weekend lines were never really that large which seems to indicate a lack of consistent revenue flow. Was a tough winter this year for MN skiing.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Hopefully Welch picks up some cash this summer with their mountain bike trails. Really rooting for them to succeed.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski Welch with my kids and I have to concur that this feels like a business decision that was set in stone weeks ago. Last weekend, Saturday, the conditions were horrible (ice) and most of the lifts were closed. There was no one there, MAYBE 75-50 cars and that included the staff, patrol, and guests.

Welch seemed to have a tough year. Between the weather at Christmas, MLK and Presidents weekend that kept guests at bay the weekend lines were never really that large which seems to indicate a lack of consistent revenue flow. Was a tough winter this year for MN skiing.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a point where the cost to be open isn't worth it if they feel they won't get the number of guests to turn a profit.

I will say I've been to Welch on some spring days when Madd Jaxx must have made a small fortune in alcohol sales. Hundreds of people inside and outside having a great time while amazing corn skiing was happening on runs like Dan's and Pete's. If conditions are right the people will usually show up.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Really tempted to go check out Trollhaugen on Saturday. $20 for a lift ticket hard to ignore.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks. Well I guess it won’t be this year.

That was not their last weekend open. That's just what they call that late season weekend music fest they have. It was the last days they had all 4 hills open however.

This weekend coming they will have Moose and Eagle open and then just Eagle will be open until at least the weekend of April 22nd, but likely much longer.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Big Snow potential this weekend?!? Forecasts show potential for up to 12" of snow??

Wild Mountain just hinted that they may be open into MAY??

Doug C

Booting up
Skier
Skied Troll Sat afternoon. Snow was in great shape.not sure why they did not open Sun.
There was a fair crowd there but I know a group of there staff heads to Colorado this time of year.They too have to get some real ski time in.they too are hinting to be open Sat.
But if we get rain my guess is they will call it a year.In 2014 there last day was April 20.
That is the latest I have diversified in the Midwest.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Granite Peak remains open till the 27th I believe ... but a lot of mixed whether in the forcast.

Being in a larger town I'm sure helps keep them profitable or .. not to much loss

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Granite Peak remains open till the 27th I believe ... but a lot of mixed whether in the forcast.

Being in a larger town I'm sure helps keep them profitable or .. not to much loss

Wild is hinting they'll be open more weekends as well, but I think this Sunday may be it for Troll.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
10-12" on the ground for sure and more falling. Now the worry is actually getting out to the ski hill tomorrow morning! Dang.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what the snow tires are for! @focker , you're not too far from resorts? I'd hope given location the plows will have done their jobs?

man ... keep wishing I drove up to Wausau yesterday, had 8 and around the same tonight ... but other obligations.

Next weekend a maybe ... I hope .. but that too with hopes the weather predictions edge down in temps. currently some rain at weeks end but snow wed ... they're open Fri/Sat/Sun .. so ..

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Strong 12" and more coming all day. Skiing in this wouldn't be that fun. High winds. This is concrete snow!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strong 12" and more coming all day. Skiing in this wouldn't be that fun. High winds. This is concrete snow!

while missing the snowfall, least I feel a wee better with your noting "concrete"

Sponsor

Staff online