• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Whomever is responsible for helping Mikela grow into a media personality hit it out of the park. Somehow she hits the perfect mix of polished/never misspeaking, and coming across as perfectly genuine and relatable.

I'm sure this is just a reflection of her being her. But getting that to come across as a public persona is tough.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Whomever is responsible for helping Mikela grow into a media personality hit it out of the park. Somehow she hits the perfect mix of polished/never misspeaking, and coming across as perfectly genuine and relatable.

I'm sure this is just a reflection of her being her. But getting that to come across as a public persona is tough.

Fantastic genes accompanied by equally fantastic parenting. Nature and Nurture knocking it out of the park.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
This photo by matslinphotography caught my attention. Love the juxtaposition of still life and movement. How was that done? Or, this is just photoshopped?

12E77BDE-B662-4E81-BA78-371914F68130.png

Posted in a Mikaela Shiffrin Instagram story

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This photo by matslinphotography caught my attention. Love the juxtaposition of still life and movement. How was that done? Or, this is just photoshopped?

View attachment 65672

You follow the subject (Mikaela) with the camera and snap. That's why she's sharp(ish) and the background gets blurry. Could be enhanced in PS, but I doubt it is in this case.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Long exposure and following skier while shutter open. Normally you shoot skiing with 1/1000sec exposures or faster (depending on direction), for such photos you can go down to 1/10sec, but with this one it wasn't that far down... maybe around 1/50 or 1/60sec at best, so pretty easy shoot :) The lower down you go (longer exposure) harder it is to get good photo, but when you get it, they look much better then those with a bit shorter exposures. For example good shoots at 1/10sec look way better then those at 1/100sec, but those at 1/100sec are really really easy to do.
Photoshop.... no way. In editorial photography photoshop is out of question. Sure, you crop, and correct levels but that's it. Nothing else. Or that was your last job you ever had.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier

View attachment 65672

It is basically very simple: you move your camera along with the fast skier.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Long exposure and following skier while shutter open. Normally you shoot skiing with 1/1000sec exposures or faster (depending on direction), for such photos you can go down to 1/10sec, but with this one it wasn't that far down... maybe around 1/50 or 1/60sec at best, so pretty easy shoot :) The lower down you go (longer exposure) harder it is to get good photo, but when you get it, they look much better then those with a bit shorter exposures. For example good shoots at 1/10sec look way better then those at 1/100sec, but those at 1/100sec are really really easy to do.
Photoshop.... no way. In editorial photography photoshop is out of question. Sure, you crop, and correct levels but that's it. Nothing else. Or that was your last job you ever had.
No way this a long exposure. White snow, bright sunlight. You can pull this off by moving your camera along with the skier. Less movement on the skier, more on the surroundings.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
No way this a long exposure. White snow, bright sunlight. You can pull this off by moving your camera along with the skier. Less movement on the skier, more on the surroundings.

I love some of the posts on PS.

@dj61, I just guessing that you don’t realize that @Primoz is a professional photographer....on THE WORLD CUP...who also has a very extensive background on the circuit.

He is one of the few with real WC insight and knowledge who will still post and share it.

And yes, he knows just a bit about this subject.

“No way this is a long exposure....” Still chuckling over that.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice to see it back on regular tv even if it's not always live. Did the other ladies give her the cold shoulder when she got the bronze?

James

Out There
Instructor
No way this is a long exposure....” Still chuckling over that.
Possibly he focused on the word "long". One tenth to 1/60 being long compared to 1/1000, but not what some people think of as long. So there's a reading comprehension issue too as all that was stated by... a professional photographer.

I was in a shop last week getting a Booster strap put on a Head boot. (Head's strap has stretch to it, and they actually pay Booster for the rights. There's even a little tag on it that says Booster. I still didn't like it. )
Anyway, the owner told me how the inventer/owner of Booster had been in there one day. He told someone getting boot work done that the Booster goes underneath the plastic. Well one of the race kids there jumped in and said no, it goes over. This went on for a bit, and then even after identifying himself as the inventor of the product, the kid kept arguing non stop.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Or took it himself :D
Not this one we were talking about, as I'm not in Are, but had my share of this sort of stuff done... Below is latest one from my last WC race some 14 days ago in Garmisch. Actually that was training run, and it was just fun, as my primary camera was actually remote cam under Seilbansprung doing something like this:

spo_skiing_20190201nwm_009667.jpg

spo_skiing_20190201nw_009554.jpg

And as these are my photos, I actually have data for it... ISO 100, f16, time 1/25, at 300mm.
The one with remote was at ISO2000, f8, time 1/4000sec at 19mm.

dj61 said:
No photographer would call a 1/10 of 1/30 of a second a ‘long exposure.’
Pretty much every sports photographers would ;) Landscape... well different thing, but we are not talking about landscape here or do we? ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
The awkwardness when you don't know your comments will be translated:
That small video for an Italian audience on American skiers has 7k views, while this well written, produced, and edited video on the retirement of an American skier for an American audience hasn't managed more than 4.5 k.

Sponsor