• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
It was an Instagram, but I couldn't post the photo with it for some reason. Steadman probably has a wing named after Vonn by now, and she (Vonn) seems healthy enough again with another win today in the GS. Hopefully, this is no big deal and Shiffrin has plenty of years left. If injured, there is always next year.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am flying home tomorrow for a complete evaluation. I have at least MCL injury and bone bruising, hopefully no additional injury. Full diagnosis and recovery predictions after I'll see a doctor at home. (Facebook)

Prognosis of a MCL tear
With appropriate management, most patients with a minor to moderate MCL injury (grades 1 and 2) can return to sport or normal activity within 2 – 8 weeks. Patients with a complete rupture of the MCL will require a longer period of rehabilitation to gain optimum function. Patients with a MCL tear who also have damage to other structures of the knee such as the meniscus or collateral ligaments are likely to have an extended rehabilitation period.

Surgical Intervention
The consensus is that isolated MCL tears rarely require operative repair, while treatment of severe combined ruptures of the MCL and ACL or PCL would require reconstruction. A study found that nonoperative and operative treatments of medial collateral ligament injuries lead to equally good results

James

Out There
Instructor
Bleh. Terrible.
Oh well there's the season.

I thought Lindsey's doctor left Steadman's in a dispute?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
You're right. Her last surgery was done by Dr. Andrews. The first one was done by Bill Sterett, who's the USST women's doc. He's a knee doc, and had been the managing partner at the Steadman Clinic, before he left and established his own group practice in Vail. Richard Steadman retired from performing surgery a couple of years ago. Hard not to trip over orthopedic surgeons in Vail! So many docs in the valley! We'll know soon enough who she's seeing, and hopefully that it's a tear, with no surgery needed.

Muleski

Inactive
Well, MS is out for the season. Tear of the MCL is confirmed, but there's been no mention of it's severity. Prognosis is that she will not need surgery. She also has severe bruising of her tibial plateau. No mention of any fracture. That's a painful deal, and one that some athletes have tried to rush back from. At age 20, no need for her to rush back from this, particularly this year. Take the time to heal and rehab, and come back stronger and even hungrier next season. I'm curious as how the USST will manage this, though. Her coach holds the title of Head Women's Technical Coach of the USST, but he's clearly her coach. He and his assistant have a couple of other athletes, but we know where the focus is. Could be that things will work so that he's available to manage her initial return to snow, which may be at about the end of the WC season. My hunch is that she'll put 200% effort into her rehab.

Too bad, for sure, but it's part of the sport. If Ms Vonn stays healthy, she should win the overall by a wide margin. It had looked like a two horse race before this.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the updates - definitely disappointing.

Muleski

Inactive
Shows how much I know, or "people" that I know, know! Less than three months ago, friends who are pretty close to this told me that she was very likely finished for the WC season, and that they would "hold her back" as there was no reason for her to compete if she couldn't win the SL globe. She's 305 points behind in the SL, with three races and the city event left. She's not going to win. So there's been a complete reversal of that thinking....or what's more likely, I had bad info. Apologize for passing that along. She's obviously anxious to get back to it, and ready. Bring it on!

My own conclusion is that the tear was nowhere near as severe as first reported, and the bruise has healed much quicker and faster than anticipated. When we saw the video of her triple jumping, it was pretty strong evidence that the bruise had healed. I'm also assuming that she has a high tolerance of pain. Or, so I'm told....and I believe it.

Either way, great to see the video, great to see her not just "on snow", but training, and ready to be competing. Tough young lady.
I'm discounting anything else that I've heard, as the last time around it evidently wasn't so accurate! Putting myself in the time out box for this one!

Wow, and great stuff!

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not thrilled, as a coach, to see her rushing to get back into the World Cup. Sure, her injury might be less severe than initially reported, and she's very, very strong in both mind and body.

But...

We've seen another racer who exhibits similar characteristics rush back into the fray and pay the price: Lindsey Vonn, who deep-sixed her Sochi chances by rushing back before she was fully healed.

I can see the motivations for Shiffrin to get back into the game. She can still win the slalom cup if she bats 1.000 for the rest of the season. With a second SG finish, she'll be in a decent spot on the WCSL in said event for the 2016-17 season. And she misses being on the circuit.

But she's young, and brash, and I can't help but think she's a bit myopic in rushing back onto the tour. What she's training on in Loveland is a very different surface than she'll see overseas. She'll obviously go full gas once back into the mix, and that can change the good feeling she has right now in training.

Back to the youth part, though. Shiffrin has years of time ahead of her if she remains healthy, fit, and motivated. Is trying to eke out a few more races this season on a knee of unproven strength worth the short-term gain? If I were her coach, I'd err on the side of getting back to 100 percent for next season, looking at the long-term picture. But that's just me.

Muleski

Inactive
Good points, Rudi. I've felt the same way, and was actually REAL surprised to see this unfold. The most "powerful" and influential person on Team Shiffrin is her mother Eileen. Her manager, Kilian Albrecht is also heavily involved in everything. They reached out to broker the deal, as I understand it, to have Brandon Dysksterhouse move from SSCV to coach her. Her skiing has been on a very high trajectory since that move, last January. She was poised to have a monster GS year, and to open a lot of eyes in SG.

So, Frida Hansdotter now has a 305 point lead over MS in the SL standings. There are three SL's left, along with the "City Event" in Stockholm. MS isn't mathematically out of it, but all Frida needs to do is put together 96 points in four races, even if MS were to sweep all four. Barring injury, I think Hansdotter has this in the bag. And I am hoping that we don't see any more leaders go down with season ending injuries. It will take the perfect storm of MS running the table, and the other leaders falling flat for this to happen. So, I hope the motivation isn't to win the globe, as that is a long shot to say the least.

You're right on the money that training at Loveland is nothing like her next three starts. I am reasonable sure that Dykster has made that clear, and that there is universal agreement among all that she's ready. Doesn't mean it's smart, IMO, when looking at potentially a VERY long career ahead of her. Heck, she turns 21 in March. Maybe we're conservative.....

I'm still confused on a bunch of conflicting reports about the injury, and recovery. Rarely have I seen such divergent "reports" with an athlete like this. The bruise {if as severe as reported initially} is nothing to screw around with, regardless of her ability to tolerate the pain. I know two WC skiers whose careers ended because they tried to push through tibial plateau bruises too early. I had been 100% convinced, knowing some of the players in this, that the plan would be to hold her back, have her on snow, doing her drills, working with a rehab coach, and being ready to go full gas during her summer training blocks. Then hit Soelden on fire, and contend for the overall next year.

But like I said above, I had this all wrong. People who I felt had a handle on this either had it wrong, or the whole injury was underestimated. That later part, how bad was this injury, and what was this injury is still subject to a lot of speculation. She's coming back 3 months and 2 days after what sounded like a pretty severe tear, and sprain. That's pretty quick. Those on forums like this haven't spent any time hanging around the WC, or the EC...where the hills and surfaces are worse.

At any rate, I hope she's ready. I've heard she is. I also hope that there is zero thought of having her race SG in the three venues left, or combined, or for that matter even the two GS, this late in the season. Why?

As I said, I've had lousy info on this. I normally don't post unless I have some reasonable "intel." But interestingly, people who normally are in the know are telling me things like "this is really strange." I'll leave it at that.

Once in a generation talent, and driven. Surrounding by a great support team. Have to assume they're doing all the right things, and that she's ready. Anything else makes no sense to me.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
http://www.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiin...icle=shiffrin-makes-spectacular-comeback.html

She is back...and what a comeback is was!

OFFICIAL RESULTS (More details here »)
1 6 SHIFFRIN Mikaela 42.83 46.37 1:29.20 100
2 12 NOENS Nastasia 43.62 46.03 1:29.65 +0.45 80
3 10 GAGNON Marie-Michele 44.04 45.66 1:29.70 +0.50 60
4 22 SCHILD Bernadette 44.38 45.43 1:29.81 +0.61 50
5 19 SWENN-LARSSON Anna 44.10 45.76 1:29.86 +0.66 45
6 1 HANSDOTTER Frida 43.10 46.83 1:29.93 +0.73 40
7 2 STRACHOVA Sarka 43.26 46.92 1:30.18 +0.98 36
8 14 STIEGLER Resi 44.02 46.29 1:30.31 +1.11 32
9 5 HOLDENER Wendy 43.85 46.52 1:30.37 +1.17 29
10 7 VELEZ ZUZULOVA Veronika 43.16 47.36 1:30.52 +1.32 26

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She posted this on her Facebook wall.
She is a class act!
Comments with photo:
Did yesterday even happen? Or was that just a dream. Time is such a strange concept. It's been over two months since my last race, and those months felt so incredibly slow. But just like that, I was back in the start again, racing with the same fire as before, and I completely forgot about the 2 months I missed. But now I need to take the time to say thank you the huge team of people who helped me get back healthy and ready to win. Of course my parents and my brother , who are my greatest supporters. My coaches and physio, who have spent endless hours working with me on rehab, getting my strength and fitness back, and sorting through all of the logistics of my injury and coming back in Crans. The @usskiteam for providing me with the resources to do this sport as well as I can. My doctor, who gave me hope that I could return to 100% this season, and held me back when I needed to be. My best friend- it doesn't matter how far apart we are, she always finds time to listen to my craziness and cheer me on. All of my sponsors and fans who have sent me countless messages of support. To know that you all believe in me and enjoy watching our races puts the biggest smile on my face, and gave me the motivation to get back. Kilian my manager, for making sure I stayed on top of things while rehabbing. And for keeping my whole situation in order all of the time! And last but not least- my serviceman, Kim. He waited 8 weeks for my call to say I could ski, immediately flew all the way to Colorado for 6 days of training, and then back to Europe to prepare my skis for the race. He has had enough jet-lag for all of us combined in the last 2 weeks and somehow he didn't miss a beat. There's a moment at the start when I look at Kim, and he looks back as if to say- "we have all done our part. Your coaches, your mom, your physio, me, that's all we can do. It's up to you now." And it worked. Everyone put in the effort, and it all came together yesterday. If you call it a comeback- don't call it my comeback. Because it's their comeback too.

12744245_929379763778150_4026987542801380604_n.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester