• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Not this one we were talking about, as I'm not in Are, but had my share of this sort of stuff done... Below is latest one from my last WC race some 14 days ago in Garmisch. Actually that was training run, and it was just fun, as my primary camera was actually remote cam under Seilbansprung doing something like this:

spo_skiing_20190201nwm_009667.jpg

View attachment 65698

And as these are my photos, I actually have data for it... ISO 100, f16, time 1/25, at 300mm.
The one with remote was at ISO2000, f8, time 1/4000sec at 19mm.

Pretty much every sports photographers would ;) Landscape... well different thing, but we are not talking about landscape here or do we? ;)

Wow! Nice! How do you follow the subject with such accuracy? What, is it like tracking a moving target with a rifle? Do you a tripod? Do you lock into a spot and the camera’s stabilization technology helps stay on the spot?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
For following you get practice through the years. It's harder to do this with longer lenses then it's with shorter, but in general it's not all that hard. No tripods are allowed on race course, so only thing that's allowed for support is monopod, but for this sort of shots I never use it, even when doing this sort of stuff with 500 or 600mm lens, as normally you don't have skier going absolutely horizontal to your position, and with lens on monopod it's hard, at least for me, to follow and tilt mopod at same time. And as every pass of skier lasts maybe 3 or 4sec, and then you have lens and camera resting on ground, it's not too bad even for heavier lenses.
For stabilization I never have it on. It takes extra split of a second to kick in, at least the way Canon has stabilization done in lenses, and on top of that it feels like everything is a bit weirdly moving, which makes it harder for me to follow racer. But otherwise yeah stabilization would help making sharper photos.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Not this one we were talking about, as I'm not in Are, but had my share of this sort of stuff done... Below is latest one from my last WC race some 14 days ago in Garmisch. Actually that was training run, and it was just fun, as my primary camera was actually remote cam under Seilbansprung doing something like this:

View attachment 65698

And as these are my photos, I actually have data for it... ISO 100, f16, time 1/25, at 300mm.

Pretty much every sports photographers would ;) Landscape... well different thing, but we are not talking about landscape here or do we? ;)
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
I love some of the posts on PS.

@dj61, I just guessing that you don’t realize that @Primoz is a professional photographer....on THE WORLD CUP...who also has a very extensive background on the circuit.

He is one of the few with real WC insight and knowledge who will still post and share it.

And yes, he knows just a bit about this subject.

“No way this is a long exposure....” Still chuckling over that.
No I did not know that. I do know many photographers that use ‘long exposures’. Michael Kenna being one of the finest. If you want to read up on long exposure photography https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-exposure_photography

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier

View attachment 65698

Well I am a landscape photographer so that settles that. I like both pictures. About your second shot, clearly different light situation than the one we discussed. Overcast versus bright sunlight. My educated guess is: two stops difference. So somewhere around 1/125 in Mikaela’s shot?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
She made a few good decisions this season. Not going to Sotchi was one ogsmile

There was a lot of talk, when that first appeared on the calendar that it could become a complete S***show, with weather and the inability to deal with it....even if it had been a touch less severe. I am hearing that it was just exhausting to hang around there for those days, in that weather.

Very wise of her team to have blown that one off. Not that there was every ANY doubt that they would.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Seriously? With all the powder they were skiing there instead of racing, I'm feeling sorry for myself I didn't go there to shoot those races. So not going to Sotchi is definitely bad decision:roflmao:

Always depends on perspective! I think there was some serious powder skiing going on. As you know, some of these women hate that fluffy stuff! Can a healthy LV of old? She hated skiing in 6" of fresh snow!

Sorry you missed it.......HaHa!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, the best skiing I’ve done was a cement hard piste 70 on monte spinale/Madonna. Fluff is for softies ogwink

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had to look that up. Always wondered how they did that.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry. That was completely unintentional and a casualty of linguistic ignorance.

Sponsor