• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It appears the Lindsey Vonnnis again trying for the Men's DH at Lake Louise.

Personally, I have no issue it with provided she races all DH's on the men's circuit for the season and can not race the women's.

You either commit or you don't, can't pick and choose the easier races just to see if you like it, or use it as an advantage (training run) for the women's DH.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm sure there are all sorts of arguments for or against.

I really love seeing female athletes being able to compete with men, so it would definitely get me more interested in the races than I normally am (ie, normally I don't watch unless it happens to be on or someone mentions it ...)

James

Out There
Instructor
That'll never happen. She's requesting Lake Louise only afaik. They'd have to change the whole show in allowing her to ski all themen's dh's. She's already trained with the men.

It would be cool to see Lindsey ski Wengen or Kitzbuhel. It could also end very badly.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She has to stay healthy and in one piece to stay on the race course, never mind if its the men's or women's

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Is this round three or four of LV floating this balloon to shine the spotlight on herself?

This is beyond old. Will never happen. A joke.

Very big, very fragile ego at play. Sometimes her agents and handlers seem genius. Other times, really dumb. This one drives me nuts....every time it comes up.

Including the BS about training.

FIS will never agree to this. The balloon has been floated and shot down before. And sit down with Riml....on this?? PR has a lot on his plate, and a lot of significant things to fix. More than ever. If he spent five minutes on this, that's too much. I assume he wants to keep his job.

Make this one go away. LV, let's read about the comeback and Garmisch, etc. How about your training runs? Serious ski stuff. I can even deal with Lucie. Guess that just does not generate enough interest.

This is going to be a tedius two years of LV in the media. At least for some of us.

For those who think she is all that and more, it will be just great!

Muleski

Inactive
By the way, when she first brought this up, when she was younger, healthier and just dominant, the guys who work on the WC, both with women and men were confused. As I heard some bar talk, the consensus was that even if they had her start with a great bib {even let her pick her bib!} she would struggle to be in the top 40, maybe top 50. Chances were good that she might be in the bottom 15.
No way could she ski with the guys. And the only place might be LL. Flip this to Birds of Prey, let alone one of the long rugged classics.

The whole thing is just insane. I'll stop as I know many, even on here, have formed very strong positive opinions about her....and others. So for you, this might look exciting and realistic. She is still a big asset to the USST. I just wish they would deploy her a bit differently.

I can't believe this is in the press this week. Not shocked. She needs to reach about a million people a day, and they use every tool to do it.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've made my opinion known before, but in brief, this does nothing for women in sports. The only possible entity that can benefit from this is LV herself. As @Monique says, people who don't normally watch might tune in, but so what? If you aren't already familiar with "all this stuff," this won't help because it isn't real. It's not a stepping stone to anything.

Muleski

Inactive
I've made my opinion known before, but in brief, this does nothing for women in sports. The only possible entity that can benefit from this is LV herself. As @Monique says, people who don't normally watch might tune in, but so what? If you aren't already familiar with "all this stuff," this won't help because it isn't real. It's not a stepping stone to anything.

The women in my family agree. 100%. I agree as well. When people talk about LV in glowing terms, some of us who have been around her chuckle a bit. If there is something in it for LV, I assume she is all over it, and very gracious.

This side show is a non starter. And it must be an aggravation to everybody within the USST. Come to think off it, she might be a bit high maintenance, haha.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's a thought. Let a lady ski the men's course at LL or maybe all of the venues... as a fore runner... and have all the qualifiers vote to select the lady who gets that honor from a list of interested athletes. As long as the lady doesn't crash and get hurt it's a win for everyone isn't it?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a thought. Let a lady ski the men's course at LL or maybe all of the venues... as a fore runner... and have all the qualifiers vote to select the lady who gets that honor from a list of interested athletes. As long as the lady doesn't crash and get hurt it's a win for everyone isn't it?

If I remember right, they did offer her the chance to forerun and she turned it down.

Muleski

Inactive
Forerunning is not what LV is interested in. Not one bit. And I have not met a top woman racer who cared one bit about forerunning a men's event. Why? For what purpose?

Most women are dead serious about their own careers,their own schedules, travel and rest. Why do this? For a fat cash payment, you might get a few. None of the best.

I don't see it. None of these women have a thing to prove by skiing one of these hills. They all could. And none could compete with the men.

It was a big deal for my 16 year old to forerun US Nationals, and race in it a year later. World class professionals? Don't think so.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, I know, LV and Bode can get together and see if their combined efforts create a more synergistic attention-seeking sideshow distraction that either can accomplish individually.

Funny how both their stated desires to skis men's WC downhills is occurring at the about the same time, when it seems unlikely for either.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Muleski

Inactive
I agree. Edited my comment.

I am looking forward to her comeback. Hope she has a great weekend, and continues to make progress.

As far as the original race against men topic, to me it is stale and I don't grasp why she and her agent/manager/marketing/media team keep at it.

Takes away from her pursuit of Stenmark's WC win record, and possibly two great seasons to cap off an unprecedented career.

When retired, we'll see a lot of her. No doubt.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hey, I know, LV and Bode can get together and see if their combined efforts create a more synergistic attention-seeking sideshow distraction that either can accomplish individually.

Funny how both their stated desires to skis men's WC downhills is occurring at the about the same time, when it seems unlikely for either.

I'd tune in to watch a Bobby Riggs/Billy Jean King style Battle of the Sexes between LV and BM, but only after they both officially retire. LV's got two more years in her knock wood..

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Brilliant idea!
She can't stay in one piece on the women's circuit, so she's going to amp it up.
Sounds like she is really going to struggle when she is no longer in the limelight.
It's all about Lindsey.

Sponsor

Staff online