• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Would Mikaela have a better chance to win against Marcel in a SL race?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Maybe in Nastar.
Otherwise, no.

I wouldn't go even that far. None. If this were contested like LV has always suggested, on the easiest men's DH course on tour {Lake Louise}, the SL venue would probably be Are. Mens set, mens injection even there....nope. No chance.

You're talking about the strongest and best mens tech skier in history. Watch the majority of the mens' SL hills and they look a whole lot different that the ladies'. MS wouldn't look like the same skier.

I am sure that MS would torch all of the women, but where she'd end up against the men? Not at the top. Now if they raced on a women's set on a women's hill....might be closer. That being a relative term.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm at best an amateur ski race watcher... but, the course sets for men are very different vs. women for all those charts you posted @crgildart . So average speed means squat IMO. I remember some slalom sets for men that had sections that were *almost* uphill.
I'd love to see the "data" supporting that ^^^^^. Let's say, having been around a few "I'll call bullshit". Mens average speed, among other things, has always been faster for men in every event, every games. Think about course sets, and everything else. Actually, I don't want to see the "data."
Let's kill this topic. Foolish. Not "higher level" discussion.

The article does go on to factor in course length (Tl distance, not just vert I believe) but the conclusion at the end is that women would have NO chance of beating the men for medals. What it does also conclude is that the women are getting closer i.e. advancing more since 1950 than the men in the same metrics categories. They are closing the gap but still pretty far behind..
Just lime McEnroe said about Martina. The best woman has NO change against a top man.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
That was somehow already tried. Few years ago, Marlies Schild forerun Schladming SL race. We all know results of that. And in those seasons Schild was on sort of same level in women SL field as Schiffrin is nowadays, and personally I would say men level was not on level Hirscher is nowadays.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Muleski is right, maybe this thread has run its course. Lindsey is past the time when the race was relevant.

With the prejudice so strong that the race can't even happen, the debate is over. For now.

McEnroe as an old guy is still kicking younger guys in the Powershares circuit. Exceptional athlete who could beat men and women. Lindsey is pretty exceptional too. Too bad she didn't get a chance to break some barriers. Someday?

Junior women right now are better than junior men in waterskiing. Wonder where that will lead?

Eric

James

Out There
Instructor
McEnroe as an old guy is still kicking younger guys in the Powershares circuit.
He doesn't have a remote chance to qualify for a major now- at 59.

Although technically since he's won, he might automatically qualify.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
He doesn't have a remote chance to qualify for a major now- at 59.

Although technically since he's won, he might automatically qualify.
Not how tennis works...

He could be awarded a wild card if a tournament wanted to give him one. He's older now, but Wimbledon did give Navaratilova a wild card into the singles draw in 2004, at age 47. She won a round.

At the time, she was still a world-class doubles player (and continued to be until she retired [again] after the US Open in 2006, where she won the mixed doubles with Bob Bryan).

Sponsor

Staff online