• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Limited space, but need a tuning bench

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Please explain why a rotobrush is aboslutely the last thing you want?

Airborne dust. The roto puts significantly more energy into the dust than hand brushing does.

The premise of the clause was that the OP had less space. High energy and small space means higher concentration of dust than in larger spaces.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Airborne dust. The roto puts significantly more energy into the dust than hand brushing does.

The premise of the clause was that the OP had less space. High energy and small space means higher concentration of dust than in larger spaces.
This reminds me of something I heard of a long time ago, but haven't seen anyone do: wetting the ski (with water) before rotobrushing. Does anyone do that?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dayum. I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't think of trying that. Thanks, that made my morning.

I'll probably look like I train duck dogs afterwards, but worth trying.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Dayum. I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't think of trying that. Thanks, that made my morning.

I'll probably look like I train duck dogs afterwards, but worth trying.
I've never tried it but let us know if you do. It might be tricky putting water on a such a hydrophobic surface. Also probably not good for natural-fiber brushed.

PS My Holy Grail of ski equipment if I had the space/etc is the Swix rotobrush attachment connected to a vacuum.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've never tried it but let us know if you do. It might be tricky putting water on a such a hydrophobic surface. Also probably not good for natural-fiber brushed.

PS My Holy Grail of ski equipment if I had the space/etc is the Swix rotobrush attachment connected to a vacuum.

I've been doing 6x9 sheets of white nylon Fibertex chucked into a sheet sander.

Polisher and a mechanical dust trap.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A couple of sprays of water with a spray bottle stops all that. Still much less of a mess than dealing with wax scrapings

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
I noticed newer version of World Cup tuning benches are made of aluminum instead of stainless steel, which makes them 20 pounds lighter, which makes them less stable.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was going to scrape off into a box or garbage can actually. That will be tonight. I still have a p-tex repair to do and am missing a critical tool.
Part of my bench kit is a plastic tarp I lay on the floor. I do all my work, fold up the tarp and use it like a funnel to put the debris into the garbage can. The trick is to not wear your shoes off the tarp LOL

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
That's a old shower curtain under the table.

Last night I was fixing a rock mark on the base and realized that I'm no where near a plug....Need power for the iron! The spot that I'm using has the best light. So I'll have to look around tonight to get things moved.

Setting this up at the condo at Tremblant will be so much easier.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
just don't drip the ptex on the plastic :).

HDPE has much higher melting point and latent heat than LDPE and this is a fast way to find out exactly what that means in practice.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well the p-tex only went on the ski. I've watch our local shop do it for years. Wax shaving are going to be interesting. My friend in MSA had a good set up. Maybe when I move to a place with a garage....or basement....or.....

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well the p-tex only went on the ski. I've watch our local shop do it for years. Wax shaving are going to be interesting. My friend in MSA had a good set up. Maybe when I move to a place with a garage....or basement....or.....

LOL it's a completely different sport down here I guess. Wax shavings come off in nice collectable curls - even the PS5 is tidy if warm scraped before it's cold scraped - and the proof is I now have *two* Crockpots of old ski wax to dip bike chains and steel hand tools in.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
That's too much and not enough at the same time. It's bulky and hard to store, and scraping is still gonna make a mess or at least require cleaning the box every time. Paste wax is clean enough to do on my kitchen counter, and hot wax with an IR lamp is cleaner still. Skip the scraping and brushing and finish with a cork or a SkiMD wax wizard.

And just in case you're curious, I did not dominate NorAm championships waxing that way.

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I like the Pro-Glide as the last step. I start by melting wax with an IR lamp, then finish with the Pro-Glide when the wax cools. I like that better than a cork, and it doesn't generate dust like brushing. The whole process is so clean that I can do it in the kitchen without a drop cloth. I think it's cleaner than liquid wax, which sometimes drips. Spray was is out of the question indoors.
I don't often skip waxing after sharpening, but sometimes I don't bother with the wax wizard or just use a liquid wax. After the first 100 yards on the snow I can't tell the difference.
That works well enough for me. I only use universal wax, and carry a warm liquid wax in my pocket for warm days. Sometimes it's a little slow but sometimes it's perfect. Trying to match the wax for today's temperature on a mountain with 1000 feet of vertical and several sun exposures and a couple of hours of weather changes is a fool's mission.
FWIW never buy tools in ski shops if you can find equivalents elsewhere. THat especially applies to IR lamps and wax wizards.

dm

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I noticed the Pro-Glide once (previously the Wax Whizard) when dropping my skis off at SkiMD. You think it does a good job? I might need to pick one up.

If you're going to do hard waxes on the cheap without ironing, it's much easier than corking with a flat cork. Otherwise, overkill.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the Pro-Glide as the last step. I start by melting wax with an IR lamp, then finish with the Pro-Glide when the wax cools. I like that better than a cork, and it doesn't generate dust like brushing. The whole process is so clean that I can do it in the kitchen without a drop cloth. I think it's cleaner than liquid wax, which sometimes drips. Spray was is out of the question indoors.
I don't often skip waxing after sharpening, but sometimes I don't bother with the wax wizard or just use a liquid wax. After the first 100 yards on the snow I can't tell the difference.
That works well enough for me. I only use universal wax, and carry a warm liquid wax in my pocket for warm days. Sometimes it's a little slow but sometimes it's perfect. Trying to match the wax for today's temperature on a mountain with 1000 feet of vertical and several sun exposures and a couple of hours of weather changes is a fool's mission.
FWIW never buy tools in ski shops if you can find equivalents elsewhere. THat especially applies to IR lamps and wax wizards.

dm

Dave,
What IR lamp are you using?

Thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online