• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Limited space, but need a tuning bench

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Dave's setup because you have presumably a very sturdy deck to work off of. The ultimate is a narrow workbench mounted to a wall for stability. I get that seems to take up a lot of space but keep in mind you only need 12" of width.
If the said wall is could be donated to the fixed tuning bench, one could make an attached bench that folds up flat against the wall when not in use.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have someone make you a custom version of this wall mounted ironing board. Make it 72 inches and with an outrigger leg that drops for support. Keep your tuning tools and supplies in the small shelves. A nod to a murphy bed.

1707739381784.png

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I didn't buy the rotobrush. At the moment I only have my skis to do. So just the brush that comes in the intro wax kit. I have an idea I found on the net. Need to find my work mate. It might be too big for the area I'm thinking of.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was previous thread similar to this one. I posted a picture of my "tuning bench". Kobalt brand purchsed at Lowes home improvement stores. I have a 1 x 6 bolted through the top.

Unfortunately it seems they no longer sell this item, but they have similar items available.
Edit: The Home Depot stores carry something very similar: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...with-1300-lbs-Capacity-1-Each-90822/324234823

Attachments

• 20221220_151035_resized.jpg
    20221220_151035_resized.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
My saw house with a top attached. Folds up. Sort of an inadequate top for many, but the peg board on the wall means everything is handy anyway. I think I got it from Racewerks.
View attachment 224938

View attachment 224940
(I may have introduced many to the folding StableMate/Saw horse idea with a 16" x 48" top almost 20 years ago, BTW.) I like the routered edge on yours Sibhusky.

For portable and foldable tuning bench solutions there's generally a trade off between light/easy and not sturdy vs beefy, heavy and sturdy. Foldable sawhorses can be OK, but when you bolt on a top, they can get tippy, too. Especially when you extend their lengths. Something like a B&D workmate can allow you to clamp in a longer 2x for your clamps.

These kind of solutions also over you a portable work surface year round, including home projects, bike stands and even camping/tailgating/traveling. Storage of the tools and supplies is also part of the mix. Tool box or cubbies are options.
E80BA81C-8ACA-437A-A0E9-EDE741935B55_1_105_c.jpeg

C19C2F15-31DD-4282-8D08-1E3A57855A6A_1_105_c.jpeg

0958EC83-1D34-4F64-8793-EB533A5EA648_1_105_c.jpeg

If you have wall space, a hinged or solid tuning shelf is an option.

For portability, sturdiness, versatility & lightweight, I think it's hard to beat the Tools4Boards Lightning Tuning Stand:

lightningstandski2000x2000_1.jpg

With the extruded rails, you can slide vises to any position needed.

T4B.Vise.Stand.AlpineSki.90.Black_web.jpg

T4B.Vise.Stand.AlpineSki.Pair.Flat.Black_web.jpg

And you could add a shelf to the legs for a shelf, much like bolting to the top of a saw horse.

I can't remember which event, but these were all around at the top of the run at the last Olympics. Rick of T4B supplies the Canadian team, along with others.

Last edited:
TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
There was previous thread similar to this one. I posted a picture of my "tuning bench". Kobalt brand purchsed at Lowes home improvement stores. I have a 1 x 6 bolted through the top.

Unfortunately it seems they no longer sell this item, but they have similar items available.
Edit: The Home Depot stores carry something very similar: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...with-1300-lbs-Capacity-1-Each-90822/324234823
This looks like the one the gal had for her XC set up. Since I have a workmate I think I'll try it first. It might be too wide to fit in the space and still work around.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter

Seems like with the Husky option you could clamp, bolt or screw in a 12-16" 2x4 in the end notches. You'd have additional anchor options to add a longer and wider top that could be fairly secure and not so tippy. If the top was screwed to the 2x4s, it could be quickly removable too.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1000002995.jpg

This is my set up that I use on the front porch. its a bem I made the clamps into a workmate. The beam is steel tube so it gives the set up some heft and stability. This year I fashioned a trough to catch the wax drippings and scrapings. That goes a long way in maintaing marital harmony

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Repetitive with the hotel thread, but a 2x4 with the ends propped on almost anything sturdy works reasonably well.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you have limited space indoors, especially space needed for other things, the absolutely last thing you want is a rotobrush.
Please explain why a rotobrush is aboslutely the last thing you want?

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Patience grasshopper.....I'll get there. But it will make a mess in my condo -living room at home or the loft at the ski resort. And I'm only doing 1 pair. And I'll have to check the Dewalt chest....do I own a cordless drill??

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Patience grasshopper.....I'll get there. But it will make a mess in my condo -living room at home or the loft at the ski resort. And I'm only doing 1 pair. And I'll have to check the Dewalt chest....do I own a cordless drill??
I use a corded drill. That way it's not suddenly bugging out in the middle of things.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've used anything from the floor, propped up at one end, bench and so on.

Unfortunately while I have a shop now space is at an extreme premium, so I back to simple concepts as to whatever works.

Don't get caught up in too complicated, just secure and easy access to all parts of the ski. The second item is something to hold the brakes out of the way.

Sponsor