• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Limited space, but need a tuning bench

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
So while I was in QC, I learned how to tune my own skis. My friend has a great set up in her basement. I don't have that kind of room. I need to be able to put it away for space. I've been looking through the "hotel" thread, but wondered it someone had anything else. The set up can live in a closet when not in use. But it needs to be moveable.

I see a video on line, where someone has used a collapsible sawhorse. But it was for XC skis.

I bought the whole she-bang from my friends partner, except the table (not spending $500 on that) and the roto brush (I'm only doing mine). I wasn't taught how power tools work, that's man work (cursing my Dad these days). So has anyone seen anything semi-permanent I can use at the condo.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, there is this, but it is debatable if it is sturdy enough for actual edge filing:

Maybe a set of vises attached to a sturdy piece of furniture with thin rubber protective layer to prevent marking?

Or do the tuning on a sturdy deck/porch/whatever railing?

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're doing only diamond stone touch ups and iron on waxing, you can get away with a Black and Decker workmate. It'll store away easily. I used it w/ plastic/rubber crib rail guards for several years.

1707663486967.png

1707663731721.png

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bought a pair of trestles and use one of them. The pair cost half the the price of a single one with a ski wax brand logo on it. Too narrow to hold tools but stable enough for doing edges.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Toko has thier "small" bench.

I recall seeing a XC type horse that was good for alpine skis. I forget what it was, let me see if I can find it.

@RaceWax.com maybe Ben has some ideas.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The tricky thing is, if you're doing serious edge sharpening by hand or scraping, you need a fairly sturdy platform. If the ski moves around while using an edge sharpener you may slip and make a mess of you or the ski. So saw horses kinda work but I'd be more inclined to mount vises to an existing table or bench attached to something to prevent it from moving. You only need a narrow work surface so you could get something 24" wide and just make sure it's mounted to something sturdy.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
This one works perfectly for everything:

ski bench.JPG

That one was too much trouble to set up all the time. This one works almost as well, and it's always ready:

skibench3.jpg

It works even better to hold the ski edge up for sharpening:
skibench2.jpg

You need to be really organized to work outside. You can't go searching around for different tools, but it's still better than working in a basement.

You could also try these:

They're spendy but better than vises in some ways.

I switched to using an IR lamp for hot waxing this year. That's clean enough to hot wax on the kitchen counter.

dm

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
adding weight to the bottom of a bench, near the feet, stabilizes it. I have an old sewing machine on mine.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I like Dave's setup because you have presumably a very sturdy deck to work off of. The ultimate is a narrow workbench mounted to a wall for stability. I get that seems to take up a lot of space but keep in mind you only need 12" of width.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will weigh in. If you are not doing the door jamb, stove, kitchen table or patio rail like we all have there are some sub $200.00 options on Amazon. One or two of these might do the trick.
IMG_5224.jpeg

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
This was another one. A little bigger but has a table top ( which I like). $170.00 or so shipped.
IMG_5225.jpeg

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have used the various smaller Swix and Toko waxing tables and they are “ok” for light duty use. Use a 4x8 plastic tent ground cover under them. (This was my wider version)
IMG_5227.jpeg

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know it’s way too big / heavy / expensive and non portable but if you have the room…….
IMG_5226.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
$40 folding table from Target or Wal-Mart. This is my travel setup -- left the table in the AirBnb garage last year and it was still here.
20240211_171557.jpg

Try to get one with a solid bottom, rather than honeycombed.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Well, there is this, but it is debatable if it is sturdy enough for actual edge filing:
I've had that table for about 15 years - I think Swix calls it the Consumer Waxing Table T0075W.

It's OK - very well made but so narrow that it can have a little side to side wobble if you push hard. But I don't push all that hard when I tune edges. Also, I'm mainly working on XC skis and kids alpine skis - if i needed to do big big GS skis or something maybe it's be less suitable. You can get a really nice travel bag for it, which is cool.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I bought the whole she-bang from my friends partner, except the table (not spending $500 on that) and the roto brush (I'm only doing mine). I wasn't taught how power tools work, that's man work (cursing my Dad these days). So has anyone seen anything semi-permanent I can use at the condo.

If you have limited space indoors, especially space needed for other things, the absolutely last thing you want is a rotobrush.

Sponsor

Staff online