• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any luck hearing back from Kastle on sizes below 172?
Yes...and no. I talked to the Global Product Manager and he said that the numbers were just not there for it. I did suggest that he take a look at this thread and and that there were a few guys who actually have owned a FX94 and or FX95 in a mid 160 length and would like to see a shorter length along with the fact that they already have the mold from the women's collection and it would be a simple addition to the line.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes...and no. I talked to the Global Product Manager and he said that the numbers were just not there for it. I did suggest that he take a look at this thread and and that there were a few guys who actually have owned a FX94 and or FX95 in a mid 160 length and would like to see a shorter length along with the fact that they already have the mold from the women's collection and it would be a simple addition to the line.

First off, thanks for checking. Disappointing news, though. Maybe they will add it to this year's run.

Dear Global Product Manager for Kastle,

If you happen to see this, please know that people really do want the FX96 HP in a mid-160 length. I have three pairs of Kastle and planned to pick up the FX96 HP this year and make it four. With 172 being the shortest offering I won't be doing that. I've demo'd the FX95 HP in 173 and it was too long.

What I don't understand is why having a 16x offering in an established and well-received model line was deemed a financial risk when at the same time you're rolling out a bunch of new models which may or may not sell well. Was the potential lost revenue from a bunch of 16x FX96's really that risky?

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ See, if they make more sizes they make less models.

Is Kastle still doing a freestyle/park line? The Colby West etc. or is that dead like 5 years ago?

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied the new FX96 HP and FX 106 HP today. yeh, they are the real deal.

Waiting patiently for your review of the FX 106 HP that ski has me soooo interested. However I love my Stockli SR 105 now that I have detuned the tail. But looking for something maybe just a tad more nimble. You can never have enought skis.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the new FX96 HP and FX 106 HP today. yeh, they are the real deal.
Do tell us more!

I know you haven't been on this one, but is the FX86 similar in construction and feel to the previous FX85s? When they went from red to yellow, they changed the wood if I remember correctly but I remember reading they skied the same. Are they still very similar apart from the new hollowtech?

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
They only have short skis.
I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and I have yet to find the limits of adhesion. I've hit 40 mph without a hiccup. What's your level and how fast do you ski?

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm 5'9", 170 lbs and I have yet to find the limits of adhesion. I've hit 40 mph without a hiccup. What's your level and how fast do you ski?

I am not sure what you mean by "limits of adhesion". I don't like short skis no matter how fast I ski. I consider myself an expert skier and was a competition bump skier in the early '90's.

Reactions: rj2

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are the price points on the new FX models similar to past Kastle skis (i.e. is there any discount to the consumer for the change in venue of the manufacturing)?

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
I am not sure what you mean by "limits of adhesion". I don't like short skis no matter how fast I ski. I consider myself an expert skier and was a competition bump skier in the early '90's.
Fair enough. I'm using a tire metaphor. What I mean is that I've yet to find myself with not enough ski and edge in any condition, terrain, or speed. Now I have something to work with and improve.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can anyone tell me what the protocols are for revealing info or demo reviews of 19/20 skis, including from SIA? And who exactly issues these protocols or timetables?
I notice many ski brand websites are just now showing these next year's ski lines, but so far not in complete spec detail, seems like. And also, I've noticed in my dim way that there seems to be a timetable of info and reviews release - so as to not jump the gun? I was at SIA and demoed two day's worth of skis. But I don't want to jump the gun, so to speak. (Saw several pugski reviewers, I believe.) PLEASE, some advice.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can anyone tell me what the protocols are for revealing info or demo reviews of 19/20 skis, including from SIA? And who exactly issues these protocols or timetables?
I notice many ski brand websites are just now showing these next year's ski lines, but so far not in complete spec detail, seems like. And also, I've noticed in my dim way that there seems to be a timetable of info and reviews release - so as to not jump the gun? I was at SIA and demoed two day's worth of skis. But I don't want to jump the gun, so to speak. (Saw several pugski reviewers, I believe.) PLEASE, some advice.
We will start posting ours soon.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are the price points on the new FX models similar to past Kastle skis (i.e. is there any discount to the consumer for the change in venue of the manufacturing)?

I would imagine that the owner of Kastle didn't move the manufacturing to another location to reduce the price to the consumer but maybe I'm wrong. What I would imagine is that they moved it to make it more efficient and less expensive to manufacture and keep the same MSRP, thereby maximizing profits for the company. If the ski already is a great seller at its current price point then why reduce it?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It's NOT a great seller in most markets. world wide. It's a GREAT SELLER in the USA, actually in high end markets{some more than others}, and to those who have come to feel that it's a very special ski. Plenty of BIG fans, plenty who are not totally sold. But for an "Austrian ski", their biggest opportunities for growth right be right at home in Western Europe. The new owners aren't fools. I would assume they are evaluating a number of alternative plans and scenarios. That plant has a lot of capacity.

I agree though, if they can maintain their price points in these "premium markets", and I were their CMO, I'd be working to sneak UP the prices year over year, and increase margins. And of course they have to consider the currency exchange rates at any point in time. And other expenses.

I seriously doubt that the plan is to cut manufacturing costs to reduce the street prices for current skis, that have been marketed as top quality, worth a premium price, since they were launched. And in places where we all see a ton of them!

Heck we seem to have people on PS with a full quiver of them, and incredible brand loyalty. Which is a good thing for Kastle!

As usual, I could be all wrong, though!

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should know better than speculate on the ski industry! ogsmile At least I was right about the USA market.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The new owners aren't fools. I would assume they are evaluating a number of alternative plans and scenarios. That plant has a lot of capacity.

I agree though, if they can maintain their price points in these "premium markets", and I were their CMO, I'd be working to sneak UP the prices year over year, and increase margins. And of course they have to consider the currency exchange rates at any point in time. And other expenses.

I seriously doubt that the plan is to cut manufacturing costs to reduce the street prices for current skis, that have been marketed as top quality, worth a premium price, since they were launched. And in places where we all see a ton of them!

I think most of the objections in this thread show strong USAian confirmation bias.

The factory in Austria and the factory in Cz can have the same mix of engineers and the same mix of Polish/Bulgarian/Greek workers. Same eco laws and regulations. Because that's how the EU works.

USAians don't really get that; Canadians are a bit better because so many move to the US for jobs.

There is absolutely nothing a priori generalisations about country of origin can tell us that isn't completely superseded by internal company structure and policies.

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
I think most of the objections in this thread show strong USAian confirmation bias.

The factory in Austria and the factory in Cz can have the same mix of engineers and the same mix of Polish/Bulgarian/Greek workers. Same eco laws and regulations. Because that's how the EU works.

USAians don't really get that; Canadians are a bit better because so many move to the US for jobs.

There is absolutely nothing a priori generalisations about country of origin can tell us that isn't completely superseded by internal company structure and policies.

Certainly country of origin doesn’t tell you the quality. However, we all have seen plenty of companies in various industries outsource manufacturing and see a reduction in quality. So it’s not completely unfounded to be concerned. However, the reviews and pricing will be the true measure of what actually happened and the impact of the change.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

I agree in broad terms that cheaper labor is not necessarily worse labor if you get it by moving countries. I am not sure how far that logic goes - I think there are advantages to controlling your own production process and that control can be easier with geographic proximity. There is also a question of how much the people managing the factory care about product quality.

Maybe I’m agreeing with your last point but with a different emphasis? The more a brand shops for cheap labor, the more I assume the brand has a corporate structure where manufacturing is not regarded as important. That is what is worrying. Processes are not necessarily easy to replicate in new places.

Sponsor

Staff online