• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My mom has those skis in 1988.
tenor.gif

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
You are only welcome here! Where in the country are you?

Many years ago I lived in the Bay Area (Calif) where I could hit Tahoe almost every weekend. Had flight benefits at the time so Snowbird / Alta was a quick flight away. Skied there a at least a couple of times a yr. Been in Texas for the last 20 years. Nearest ski area now is a 10-12 hr drive under good conditions. :-((

crabjoe

Booting up
Skier
Sorry, I gotta laugh.... Mostly because I have the same equipment. Here's mine!!

I went skiing 2 weeks ago and below was when I was in. It's gear from like 1990. My original skis were white, but I blew the camber out of them the 1st season I had them. When Head sent me my warranty replacement, the showed up pink and were an exact match to my boots.

As for how they skied.. Well, they skied just fine when I was out. Got some funny looks and some comments, but I was fine with them. Still, just the other day, I went and ordered a new set of parabolic skis because the one thing I noticed.. probably because I'm out of shape, is that these old skis were heavy. And based on what I've read and and your post, I need some new boots. Man I don't want to give up these boots.. they still fit like a glove!

skis_head.jpg

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
They do look very similar. Wonder if there's any difference between the "Radial" and the "Racing" models? Mine say racing on the bottom but not on top. One thing for sure, they'll be easy to find on the clubhouse ski rack!

I'll be back on the 205's next year for sure. May get a set of shaped skis too. Boots first though.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was in the same position you are, but 20 years ago. The first time I tried a pair of GOOD shaped skis, I was like "woo hoo"...and started doing things I shouldn't have at that point LOL. My guess is you didn't like you first try at newer skis is that fact they were crappy rentals. Get on a good pair of demos, I would be very surprised if you don;t like them after a run or two. One thing I have found is that today's skis have more individual personalities than older straight skis. If you don't like the first pair you try, try something else.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Just back from our ski trip. Resort didn't have demos so went with their 174cm Dynastar rentals. First day, the skis seem to stick like crazy. Something I've never experienced before to that degree. Bases looked fine but I had to do a lot of walking/pole'ing. Lifty said it was the man-made snow. Ski patrol said it was the wrong wax for the conditions. Whatever it was, it sucked. Second day, skis (different set) glided very well and I kinda like them. Any ideas on why the first set were so sticky?

Rossignol boots had a hot spot on the front of my right leg abt 2" above the ankle. Left leg was great. Wearing Smartwool medium's. Messed around with tongue position and different upper buckle settings, but no help. Tongue looked and felt ok. Didn't have any extra material in there (i.e. jeans). Any ideas what was causing that?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Just back from our ski trip. Resort didn't have demos so went with their 174cm Dynastar rentals. First day, the skis seem to stick like crazy. Something I've never experienced before to that degree. Bases looked fine but I had to do a lot of walking/pole'ing. Lifty said it was the man-made snow. Ski patrol said it was the wrong wax for the conditions. Whatever it was, it sucked. Second day, skis (different set) glided very well and I kinda like them. Any ideas on why the first set were so sticky?

Rossignol boots had a hot spot on the front of my right leg abt 2" above the ankle. Left leg was great. Wearing Smartwool medium's. Messed around with tongue position and different upper buckle settings, but no help. Tongue looked and felt ok. Didn't have any extra material in there (i.e. jeans). Any ideas what was causing that?

Improvement in ski design and materials over the years means that today's standard rental is most likely a better ride than your 30+ year old former top of the line skis.

Rental ski boots while better than they once were are still not great AND they have been on the feet of X many skiers with a different shaped foot than yours before you got to use them, so don't expect much from them.

Buy boots before you buy skis.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your old skis and bindings will work fine, though newer skis will be better.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, you were in Wisconsin with some warmer temps. Rentals have universal wax, when they get waxed. I hope you enjoyed the trip back to Wisconsin. Areas did get new snow over a week ago, which did help all the hills.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Your old skis and bindings will work fine, though newer skis will be better.

My old bindings were low budget in their day and no longer supported. I'll keep the skis but the bindings will be replaced when I get new boots. Planning on getting new type skis at some point but need to demo some first.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
There's the problem. It is true that modern skis do not track straight when completely flat, and that is initially disconcerting. It is also true that you get used to it surprisingly quickly. The usual fix is to always be on edge, at least a tiny bit. You can also ride a flat ski (for example for maximum glide on a flat run out) and get used to the way they feel. Tell yourself they feel "loose" instead of "squirrelly". If you have good edge awareness you will be fine. "Catching an edge" has largely disappeared as a fall cause.

^ very true!

also I thought my Atomic Beta Carv from 2003 were old...

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, you were in Wisconsin with some warmer temps. Rentals have universal wax, when they get waxed. I hope you enjoyed the trip back to Wisconsin. Areas did get new snow over a week ago, which did help all the hills.

Yep, feeling really lucky to have ~36 degs. full sun and no wind on Sunday. Sat was a bit colder/windier but still not bad. Everyone enjoyed the visit. Our VRBO house still had abt 5-6" of snow on the deck.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This one passed visual inspection..
Exploding Salomon bindings, unfortunately I have had too many of those. People wonder why I like Tyrolia and Look that video is a perfect example.

Sponsor

Staff online