• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Starting to get the bug again. Dug out all my old ski stuff and took inventory. Found my old trusty pair of Head 205's.
Will this hardware work with modern boots?
(Old Azzuro racing boots split down the side and were tossed ~10 years ago)

Noticed 2 dark lines running across the bottoms of both skis right under my heels. What's up with that?? Doesn't look like it will buff out but is it a problem?

The day my boot broke I wound up renting some of the newer style short skis. Didn't care for them much. Too twitchy. I'm thinking I'll fell a lot better on my old ones if possible.

Btw, anyone seen a set of poles like those?

Skis.jpg
205.jpg
tails.jpg
bottom.jpg
Bindings.jpg
poles.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The bindings on the skis are not indemnified any more which mean most shops will not adjust them due to the fact that Salomon does not support the binding any more. The skis are about 35 years old, the bindings are about 15 and think about 15 year old tires on a car, would you have 100% confidence in them?

As far as black stripes on the base, that is from using a SkiTote and the skis being stored for years in it. It is cosmetic and nothing really to be concerned with. This was a fine ski in it's day but honestly you would be better off on even an average tuned modern rental ski than this higher performance ski from a third of a century ago.

The poles? Never saw them. Maybe some others have and might chime in.

James

Out There
Instructor
I wound up renting some of the newer style short skis. Didn't care for them much. Too twitchy.
You get used to it, then forget all about it. They like to turn. They’re a lot more fun.
Honestly, the only thing those old skis are better at is going straight. At some point you have to turn. Even downhillers aren’t using skis with such little sidecut.

The good news is the 30+ years of body degradation is ameliorated by the new skis. You’ll be able to do things you never could on those despite the age. There’s also a vast array of types of skis these days. Such things didn’t exist back then.

Don’t be insulted when no one wants those skis. Even for $20. Maybe someone would give you ten if they’re nostalgic and owned them before. Otherwise it’s fence or furniture.

The poles might have some interest to a collector. Not that they’re worth much. They have some sort of spring in them?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Komperdell have been doing anti-shock poles for very many years; the problem is the swing weight. And so they made the spring smaller and smaller and started hiding it in the grip where the moment of inertia is smaller.

Then "light touch" and "no touch" skiing became the norm and Komperdell shifted the springs and spring grips over to their hiking/walking/trekking pole lineup. Except even there it was heavy and they started working more with cork handles and cushioned tips.

Their modern 18 mm 7xxx Alu pole is like a third of ^that weight or lighter - and waaaay more durable.

Scott, Swix, LEKI all make similar 18mm 7xxx poles and they are the best kept secret ever - everyone knows about them and everyone thinks they need either softer, cheaper and heavier or they need fancier carbon/bamboo/recycled diaper 'sustainable' poles.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Um...is someone having fun?
No.
Just no to the question.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Haven't you guys heard?, straight skis are coming back..:ogcool: Well, maybe not for beginners, but for high speed stability, they're waay better, IMHO.

I don't tree ski (anymore) and I rarely ski in deep power.

Nowadays, I prefer high-speed cruising on groomed runs with the tunes cranking. Turning isn't a problem for me on straight skis. Besides, this dog is too old to be learning new tricks.

The poles do have a stiff spring inside and compress abt 2 inches. They are a little heavier I suppose but I've never really noticed it. They help if you gotta pole-it to the next run. Gives you a little extra push at the end of each stroke. I picked them up at a ski show in N. Cal in the mid 80's. Never seen another set on the slopes.

Question remains, will modern boots attach to my old skis/bindings or not? I can adj the bindings.

Oh yeah, my SkiTote.. Humm, wonder where that thing went... They still sell those?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Nowadays, I prefer high-speed cruising on groomed runs with the tunes cranking. Turning isn't a problem for me on straight skis. Besides, this dog is too old to be learning new tricks.

Modern front side skis are made for groomers and you will find them more stable at speed AND more maneuverable than your 30 year old equipment. No major new tricks to learn, but you do have to adjust to the greater confidence new equipment will offer.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Yes they will work fine, boot sole standards have not changed. If the boot sole length of your new boots is correct for the binding placement (and adjustability), new boots will clip in and function with these old bindings.

But as stated by Phil, no shop with set the release for you. You are on your own there. I might dial them back to 4 or 5 and kick out while standing in some softish snow. just to make sure dust and rust have not turned the bindings to stone. Then set them up to the low side of the chart for your skier profile.

I get out my K2 710s with Marker "explode-o-mats" every season just to remind myself how skiing is skiing regardless of equipment.
Heck, people ski in AT set ups, people ski in Tele set ups, people ski in old stuff and new. I can't see much difference in their smiles on a good snow day!

James

Out There
Instructor
Question remains, will modern boots attach to my old skis/bindings or not? I can adj the bindings.
If you do it yourself. No shop will touch them as they’re not legally covered.

Knock yourself out. It’s like playing tennis with a 40 yr old wood racket. You can do it, it’s like it used to be, but...One minute with a new one and you’ve never hit the ball so hard. Everything is better.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Haven't you guys heard?, straight skis are coming back..:ogcool: Well, maybe not for beginners, but for high speed stability, they're waay better, IMHO.

I don't tree ski (anymore) and I rarely ski in deep power.

The poles do have a stiff spring inside and compress abt 2 inches. They are a little heavier I suppose but I've never really noticed it. They help if you gotta pole-it to the next run. Gives you a little extra push at the end of each stroke. I picked them up at a ski show in N. Cal in the mid 80's. Never seen another set on the slopes.

Oh yeah, my SkiTote.. Humm, wonder where that thing went... They still sell those?
Yes, new boots will fit the bindings. The bindings may not have a long life but they will fit.

The new tricks aren't so hard to learn and they can definitely make going fast funnerer.

Some shops will adjust and test bindings like that, but they won't sign off on them. I know if I were on duty I would test and fail them.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You want to freshen those bases up with a sanding block. Then cork in a goodly amount of klister and let em sit by the wood stove overnight. If you look in your basement you might find some old norweigan sealer but that crap dries up so you would have to thin it out so some fresh 30 yr old klister is the way to go. They wont glide for a damn but the goal is to saturate the base so that you can scrape it all off and start all over again.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Modern front side skis are made for groomers and you will find them more stable at speed AND more maneuverable than your 30 year old equipment. No major new tricks to learn, but you do have to adjust to the greater confidence new equipment will offer.

I've only used the short skis for 1 day, but what I felt was the extreme opposite of confidence. When cruising straight at high speed, it felt like I was going to catch an edge at any moment. Couldn't relax and enjoy. They also seem to turn too aggressively. I could probably adapt to the "power steering" but not so sure abt loosing stability.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just buy a cheap used, 188cm/30meter gs ski. Nothing unstable about that once you learn to get on edge.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've only used the short skis for 1 day, but what I felt was the extreme opposite of confidence. When cruising straight at high speed, it felt like I was going to catch an edge at any moment. Couldn't relax and enjoy. They also seem to turn too aggressively. I could probably adapt to the "power steering" but not so sure abt loosing stability.
So you are saying there are only 2 skis in the whole universe: old school straight skis and short skis?

Why don't you mention what ski you rented. Maybe they gave you a child's beginner's ski or a slalom ski, if you have no idea what to ask for they will assume you are a beginner and rent you beginners skis.

If you are openminded you should get a recommendation for the general parameters so you know what to ask for that will fit your style.

Sponsor