• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Can't sell the poles, they're my only set.

Not saying there's only 2 types but it's the 2 I have experience with. The flat tracking issue seems to be a common concern when switching from what I have seen.
Don't remember the brand I rented. Just told them adv interm and took what they had. That was 10+ years ago.

I have a ski trip coming up soon. I'll be renting equip so I'll most likely be trying them again if I like or not. From what I gathered, when switching from straights, you want the longest/stiffest skis they offer. (I'm 6'3" 225)

Do the resorts still do demo's?

Find a 184 Head Monster to demo, then a 188 Kastle MX 89. A little mellower, a 186 Liberty Evolve 90... one of those should feel more familiar.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you skied the 205’s well, switch over to a cheater ski or a masters GS. I did the several years ago. At the beginning you ski the GS like you used to, now learn how to ski modern style, you have the strength and skill to use them. You’ll find the difference are amazing. The difference is you move up a level or 2 in ability as the new shapes make it that much easier (plus you gave skills that new skiers learn much later).

One warning, on shaped skis sitting back is a sure route to an ACL injury, don’t do this you’ve been warned.

Keep the skis they are good for a blast of what you can do on straight boards, and for way to show up young hotshots, let them try them, its funny.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
This one passed visual inspection..

Funny. That's the same exact binding I had on my first set of skis.
I'm not in love with my current bindings. It was simply what was available at the time. Anyone want to buy those? ogsmile

What are all these tricks I can do with short skis that I couldn't with my long skis??
When I was skiing regularly, there was no internet and very few videos. We would just watch from the lift what others were doing and if something looked cool, I'd practice it until I could look good doing it. The helicopter was the only trick I knew of that I couldn't do. Never even tried.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Is this what you're driving as well?

All joking aside, if you need new boots you're basically starting over, but if those old skis make you happy go for it, but you'll have to spend to retrofit them.

Actually, I still have my 82 Z28 (it relates to my screen name, but it's a long story) that I bought in 84. My 84 Yamaha dirt bike I bought new, My 84 Yamaha Street bike, my 1990 Fountain power boat, my Yamaha home stereo sys is from the mid-80's. Are you starting to see a trend? Some of it is for nostalgia and some stuff I still have is because I feel it's better than what's available today. I've been fixing various things for a living all my life. Keeping things going has become a hobby that I enjoy and take pride in. What more can I say?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't you guys heard?, straight skis are coming back..:ogcool: Well, maybe not for beginners, but for high speed stability, they're waay better, IMHO.

Yeah, but like that guy, you will have to dress in flannel and a puffy vest. That or a onesie. :cool:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You won't die with this binding but it is/was a low level binding from the turn of the century ( I still love saying that). Either way, abandon these and you could spend a couple of hunnard bucks and go from your 26" Sony Triniton to at least a 720i Plasma and have a ton more fun once you adopt even a semi modern skiing style.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I couldn't agree with James and Andy more. Once you adapt to the new stuff, going back to the old is a novelty and borderline scary. The new skis do everything better aside from going in a straight line.

The tech department manager at my home hill has a collection of pristine old school classics from the 80's and early 90's with modern bindings that we take out now and then for retro fun, it makes me appreciate the new stuff so much more, even after learning and growing on the straight stuff back in the day.

It's worth taking a lesson from an instructor who has made the transition.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What are all these tricks I can do with short skis that I couldn't with my long skis??

Just take a look at what all the world cup skiers are using now. The main trick is a far more tortionally sound ski that carves arcs on glass. Edges that are beveled for sharper bite too.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm another one of the "rip van winkle" contingent. Until last season I was skiing on a pair of 180 Salomon mogul skis from ~2002. They were great skis for the time and still a favorite amongst amateur bumpers but I never realized what I was missing. When I got on a good pair of modern "fat" skis(90-100mm) it didn't take long to adjust to the fact they wanted to be on edge and put a big smile on my face. I ended up getting a good deal on a pair of Kore 93s from a member here. I was honestly skeptical that something that wide and light could be as stable as it is on firm eastern groomers and the difference in 3d snow is astonishing. Last season I spent 6 days of aggressive skiing in UT with 3 powder days with no lower back pain a the end of the trip. With my old skis I would have felt completely flogged after 1 day in the powder. The only issue I have is I'm chewing up the sides of the bindings and boots in moguls worse than I did on my bump skis.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
I went and looked at a few of the suggested models (like GS) and in the pics they look similar to mine. Now I'm a bit confused. My old skis had some parabolic shape to them but seem to be classified as straight skis. However, the change in width does appear to be pretty linear from the binding to the widest part near the tip. Is there a cut-off on how much change in width there is before it's called a parabolic or does it have more to do with variation in width change over a certain distance (i.e. non-linear)?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@zz28zz You are so over thinking this. Lots of engineering and testing has gone into new skis, bindings and boots. They flat out perform better. And they aren't that expensive.

Demo some options to see what fits your style best. But put the effort into getting modern. The new stuff is great. Couple year old stuff can also be OK and a good deal. Old skis had better fill a specific niche - enjoying resort snow is not particularly unique.

Keep your old skis for comparison. And keep us posted on how things work out.

Eric

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
I know, I may appear to be a bit OCD abt it but I'm just trying to understand the physics involved. That's my nature. I really don't want to appear unessarily argumentative or ungrateful for everybody's time. I have abt 20 years lot of catching up to do. I've learned a lot from this site in a short amount of time and I am grateful.

I'll be demo'ing something in 2 weeks and report back for sure.

I'll be keeping the old skis. Too many good memories associated with those.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll be keeping the old skis. Too many good memories associated with those.
I kept mine..
These I have skied in the past 5 years and might ski again

1580473909159.png

These I have retired but still like to look at sometimes..
1580473804421.png

The retro stuff only comes out when I've already skied plenty of days on my modern gear, usually a nice soft spring day.

Attachments

• 1580473805976.png
    1580473805976.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Biggest difference is the bite into ice if tune correctly. The new skis are torsionally stiffer which mean on edge that bite, in addition modern tunes are more aggressive. Remember here base bevel is the detune of yester-year.

Big differences skiing, don’t get back this is a knee injury in the making, wt both skis equally, initially your timing will suck as there is slight difference in motion through the turn. Skied old school, you’ll love them because their shorter and float a little better but it doesn’t end there, ski them the way they should be skied and you go from a Chevette to a Porsche.

Took me an honest 16hrs focused hours to adjust (over the course of 3-4 days hill time). If you can find an old instructor to show you the differences might save you some time and frustration.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Funny. That's the same exact binding I had on my first set of skis.
I'm not in love with my current bindings. It was simply what was available at the time. Anyone want to buy those? ogsmile

When I was skiing regularly, there was no internet and very few videos. We would just watch from the lift what others were doing and if something looked cool, I'd practice it until I could look good doing it. The helicopter was the only trick I knew of that I couldn't do. Never even tried.
I will leave the length question to others.
What the short side-cut radius skis will do that your old "straight" skis won't do is carve high-g pure arc-2-arc turns on hard snow with a radius between 6 m and 15 m.
What old long side-cut radius skis (radius between 40 m and 70 m) skis are still better at is carving high-speed, high-g pure arc-2-arc turns on hard snow that have a radius between 20 m and 35 m.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I need some of those pure g arc to arc skis too. Maybe my boots are holding me back

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Really? Someone joins the site to gain knowledge and they're a troll?
I'll use whatever info is at my disposal to learn. Why even bother responding to my thread if you have nothing to share?

You are only welcome here! Where in the country are you?

Reactions: Ogg

Sponsor

Staff online