• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skis are cheap. Boots are cheap. Bindings are cheap. Poles are Goode. Lift tickets are not so cheap. The world is complicated.

Rent or better still, buy some cool new equipment and enjoy the thrill of skiing. It's all about the thrill of skiing.

Eric

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When cruising straight at high speed, it felt like I was going to catch an edge at any moment.
Just buy a cheap used, 188cm/30meter gs ski. Nothing unstable about that once you learn to get on edge.
There's the problem. It is true that modern skis do not track straight when completely flat, and that is initially disconcerting. It is also true that you get used to it surprisingly quickly. The usual fix is to always be on edge, at least a tiny bit. You can also ride a flat ski (for example for maximum glide on a flat run out) and get used to the way they feel. Tell yourself they feel "loose" instead of "squirrelly". If you have good edge awareness you will be fine. "Catching an edge" has largely disappeared as a fall cause.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Can't sell the poles, they're my only set.

Not saying there's only 2 types but it's the 2 I have experience with. The flat tracking issue seems to be a common concern when switching from what I have seen.
Don't remember the brand I rented. Just told them adv interm and took what they had. That was 10+ years ago.

I have a ski trip coming up soon. I'll be renting equip so I'll most likely be trying them again if I like or not. From what I gathered, when switching from straights, you want the longest/stiffest skis they offer. (I'm 6'3" 225)

Do the resorts still do demo's?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Starting to get the bug again. Dug out all my old ski stuff and took inventory. Found my old trusty pair of Head 205's.
Will this hardware work with modern boots?
(Old Azzuro racing boots split down the side and were tossed ~10 years ago)

Noticed 2 dark lines running across the bottoms of both skis right under my heels. What's up with that?? Doesn't look like it will buff out but is it a problem?

The day my boot broke I wound up renting some of the newer style short skis. Didn't care for them much. Too twitchy. I'm thinking I'll fell a lot better on my old ones if possible.

Btw, anyone seen a set of poles like those?

View attachment 91543 View attachment 91544 View attachment 91545 View attachment 91546 View attachment 91548 View attachment 91549
Those skis will work just as well now as they did 20 (30?) years ago.
I have an old pair of straight speed skis (First Generation Kastle Super Giant Slalom with three layers of STEEL) that I play with every now and then. Only I neglected the bases and they have become slow, so it's hardly worth it.

I don't know about those bindings though. I would not trust plastic that old, nor metal that I had not personally taken care of, at least not at speed. I have all-metal Tyrolia 490s on my old straight skis.

The thing is new "shaped" skis work better, if you get the right one. They typically come with a sidecut radius (best fit circle to the side of the ski) between 35 m and 11 m. The shorter the sidecut the more they want to interact with the snow and start turning. When you run them flat they interact with every little random undulation and randomly hunt for turns right and left. Choose a side and put them both on edge, on left or right edge, but not flat, and they will behave.

Modern skis don't have to be long to be stable at speed; they just have to be the right model. For example a Fischer RC4 WC SC at 165 cm will be more stable than your old skis at 65 mph. For the type of skiing you describe (high speed cruising on groomed runs), I would say go with the longer radius Fischer RC4 WC RC or similar. On the other hand if you like to ski off the trail in the deep snow try a Volkl 100-Eight.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This forum's full of members who Rip Van Winkled the shaped ski revolution, dropping out sometime in the early to mid 90s then picking back up this century after the massive gear technology shift.

I'm one of them. I bought several skis from the period I missed and learned to carve them new style. Took me about 3 years before fully adopting the new gear. I get it. Just keep an open mind. Your bindings are dangerous. As others mentioned, the Y2K compatible GS skis are the closest thing to what you are comfortable on, but also modern enough to bridge the gap. Once you get used to them you'll find they take WAY less physical effort to ride and your ski days will be longer as a result.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Short answer- You will die! The biggest concern is the age of the binding. We keep an old binding in the shop that has broken while being skied to talk people out of this. A prerelease at speed is the most dangerous thing in skiing. At least buy new bindings. Our shop mounted new bindings on a orange black 70s pair of Rossi STs this year, so it wouldn't be the first time for new bindings on old skis.

But-
Just buy a cheap used, 188cm/30meter gs ski. Nothing unstable about that once you learn to get on edge.

This is the best advice, they are dirt cheap, try sideline swap.
I have a pair and they will give you what you are looking for.

Then next year, buy a modern ski. Not a carver, something like a Brahma 82, it won't feel twitchy but you can skid it around like a straight ski.

You get used to it, then forget all about it. They like to turn. They’re a lot more fun.
Honestly, the only thing those old skis are better at is going straight. At some point you have to turn. Even downhillers aren’t using skis with such little sidecut.

The good news is the 30+ years of body degradation is ameliorated by the new skis. You’ll be able to do things you never could on those despite the age. There’s also a vast array of types of skis these days. Such things didn’t exist back then.

Don’t be insulted when no one wants those skis. Even for $20. Maybe someone would give you ten if they’re nostalgic and owned them before. Otherwise it’s fence or furniture.

The poles might have some interest to a collector. Not that they’re worth much. They have some sort of spring in them?

Quoted for truth-

The good news is the 30+ years of body degradation is ameliorated by the new skis. You’ll be able to do things you never could on those despite the age. There’s also a vast array of types of skis these days. Such things didn’t exist back then.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Not saying there's only 2 types but it's the 2 I have experience with. The flat tracking issue seems to be a common concern when switching from what I have seen.
Don't remember the brand I rented. Just told them adv interm and took what they had. That was 10+ years ago.

I have a ski trip coming up soon. I'll be renting equip so I'll most likely be trying them again if I like or not. From what I gathered, when switching from straights, you want the longest/stiffest skis they offer. (I'm 6'3" 225)

At those stats, anything in the standard rental fleet is going to perform like a noodle to you, IMO. You need to get a demo ski, and a fairly stiff one at that.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wisconsin hills(where OP is going) don't usually have expansive demo shops. Some do have normal vs performance rentals though.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You want to freshen those bases up with a sanding block. Then cork in a goodly amount of klister and let em sit by the wood stove overnight. If you look in your basement you might find some old norweigan sealer but that crap dries up so you would have to thin it out so some fresh 30 yr old klister is the way to go. They wont glide for a damn but the goal is to saturate the base so that you can scrape it all off and start all over again.

lolz

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Wait, you're comparing what you remember skiing 10+ years ago and these old skis and basing your decision on those memories? Your body is 10 years older than the last time you skied, things will feel different. Skis have changed in the last 10 years. Get on a ski that is meant for what you want to do and then do an evaluation. If you don't like those skis, try something different. If you tell us where you're headed someone here likely can make a suggestion of a rental shop to work with.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is this what you're driving as well?

All joking aside, if you need new boots you're basically starting over, but if those old skis make you happy go for it, but you'll have to spend to retrofit them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

There are some vintage gear collectors here who would probably happily send you a modern pair in a box with return postage if you were interested in a trade.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I have a pair of Rossi 23M 183CM GS Skis from the 2013-14ish era, they would make an excellent transition ski with a little more side cut than the 30/35M. Nice and damp at speed, and a lot less wobble on flat than the typical rockered ski. They don't even start to carve a turn till 20-25 MPH and really need 35+ to wake up. Skiing them old school may be different.

Edges are a little thin, but they are in great shape overall wish a nice grind and flat bases. If you have any interest, send me a PM.

James

Out There
Instructor
There's the problem. It is true that modern skis do not track straight when completely flat, and that is initially disconcerting. It is also true that you get used to it surprisingly quickly. The usual fix is to always be on edge, at least a tiny bit. You can also ride a flat ski (for example for maximum glide on a flat run out) and get used to the way they feel. Tell yourself they feel "loose" instead of "squirrelly". If you have good edge awareness you will be fine. "Catching an edge" has largely disappeared as a fall cause.
Yeah we’ve definitely changed the way we ski in our relationship to a flat ski.
Definitely having to straight tuck on a 165cm/12m is pretty hairy. I’ve had to do it a few times for a long stretch, say 400m in Switzerland. A spot where you want to get a lot of speed to make the runout. It’s pretty damn squirrelly. You’ve got to just be real quiet and try not to move much, yet be supple. Of course I could just make big radius turns, but not as much fear/challenge involved,
The same run on the 180/21m would be no problem. Go longer and straighter and it’s nothing, a joke, everything's calm and easy and you just want more speed.

But straight runs can be pretty rare. Unless you really want them, then just get appropriate skis. On slalom skis I’m not looking for long cruisers to tuck. I think years ago on straight skis I was always looking for stuff to tuck.

OP, i can relate. Basically 20yrs ago, the year I bought my first shaped ski, I must of demoed a dozen pair. Everytime, at the end of the day I’d go to this one trail where you can see the whole run, and tuck it straight down the side near the woods. I didn’t want any damn shape ski that couldn’t go straight.
Towards what became the end of the demoing period, i rented the Volkl P30. The last generation. Wow, I really liked that ski. I tried it in the 193, then 198, then 193 again. (God, my body hurts just thinking of the longer one. It was work. Still, I was considering that length because you know, it’s still “short”, and skiing involves effort.)

The thing is, by the time I skied the P30 for the second time, I didn’t care about the straight run. Odd, but it was no longer important. I remember trying a couple others, and I’d make my mind up about the ski well before the end of the day. Going straight really wasn’t where the thrill was. Speed in a turn, the ability to actually carve a turn at normal speeds was where it’s at. Angular velocity and g forces are more fun with less risk.

Ultimately, if you want to really learn the technique, it’s best to get on a carving ski that’s narrow, <80mm, 165-170 cm It’s just easier to learn in a smaller space at normal speeds.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This forum's full of members who Rip Van Winkled the shaped ski revolution, dropping out sometime in the early to mid 90s then picking back up this century after the massive gear technology shift.
Me to a tee. The last skis I had were late 90s or early 2000s Volkl P50 Platinums. Granted, they had a bit more shape than the OP's Heads. They were an eye opener for me and way easier, and therefore more fun, to ski than my older Kneissl Whitestars that came in at 205 or 210 and 60 or 65 under foot. Then, many years out of the sport. Coming back three seasons ago I was faced with shorter, wider, lots wider, holy cow wider, rocker tail, rocker tip, full rocker, triple camber, flex indexes on boots, etc. I figured I'd never ski on anything over mid-80s because even those were fat. I found, rather quickly, that a ski at 105 or 108 is totally doable and, in some situations, is the right tool for the job at hand.

As a fellow returner, I'd humbly suggest put away any preconceived notions about what a ski can or can't do. Take the suggestions here to heart. Demo what and when you can. There will certainly be wrong skis for you, but there will also be more right skis than "back in the day". If nothing else, a new pair of bindings will go a long way to peace of mind.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I beg to differ !
I am one of those old retro kook : I have been skiing for 50 years and I ski 5 times a week . I have been skiing at that rate since 2001 .
I have been telemarking since 1985 on skinny skis ( 210 ) and I ski downhill on nothing shorter than 200cm ... from 200 to 220 cm !
I have a new pair of Atomic Magna 130 and a pair of Atomic Burner 120 ( Asolo for telemark ) . Plus 150 pairs of flat skis with original bindings . Maybe more : I stopped counting .

The thing is ... it is not that it is easier ... it is way more difficult to ski a Yamaha GS Custom 205 than a 165 whatever ... and that is the point !
I do not like easy things : if it is too easy , everyone can do it !!

These skis are good , the bindings can be checked visually and then skied for a day at low speed on an easy run . If they survive , they will survive a few more years !
But in doubt , do not do it ...
The bindings will accept new boots : I skied some Fisher President with original Bindings last year with my boots and no problems . Yours are not that old , for sure .

The objective is to have fun .
If you feel good then go for it !
If you doubt , go for the ski shop , rent , find a nice pair from last year's inventory and have a blast with those ....

James

Out There
Instructor
The thing is ... it is not that it is easier ... it is way more difficult to ski a Yamaha GS Custom 205 than a 165 whatever ... and that is the point !
I do not like easy things : if it is too easy , everyone can do it !!
Well the way to start saving powder eould be to ban skis over 90mm. That’s just not going to happen.

Easier/harder is not black and white. There are things you can do on a modern ski that just ste not possible on a straight ski. I’d say everyone who attempted to get better got a lot better on shape skis. A decent U14 on current gear could probably beat Stenmark. But he’s that much older now so it’s moot.

Do what makes you happy, but there’s plenty of territory to explore on modern gear that isn’t easy at all. You are running lower on time though. Holding out another 20 years might be too late.

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well ...
I think that Stenmark - in his prime - with his original Elan , would have blasted anyone on parabolic skis . Same with Tomba ...

I think you get better faster on parabolic skis ... that is a fact .... and then you reach a plateau and you stay there . The progression was longer with straight skis : you had to practice and practice and try to get better . A question of will ... and then remember that the slopes now are not the slopes of 1980 ! They are so much easier , these groomed slopes ... being an instant expert on them is ... easy ??

Considering powder , as multiple Warren Miller movies show , you can ski powder with grace and pleasure on straight 210 ... More difficult , yes , but it was done ... I did it ... and I am not Stenmark !

Anyway , I have enough skis to last another lifetime . And I intend to do as my mother did ... bury everyone who did her wrong before passing away ... my list is as long as hers : I will live until 100 easily !

Sponsor