• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Inside / outside ski

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
Ride ski, Guide ski. You ride on the outside ski to go where you want to go, activities of the inside ski guide us where we want to go.

uke

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Now we need to define rider and decider, because my thought processes were running off in a whole different direction. I was thinking of decider as the one doing the heavy lifting and controlling the situation, and rider as just tagging along like, "just holler if you need me." I was thinking of something like a Javelin turn, where the outside ski has full responsibility for everything that happens, and the inside ski is just riding along, checking out the scenery.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
None of this works if you're skiing switch... :nono:

umm skiing switch is no different than forward skiing, you would have inside and outside ski, you still balance on the outside ski, and you still tip into the turn.

Do you have an example of you skiing switch to show us how there is no inside and outside ski?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
umm skiing switch is no different than forward skiing, you would have inside and outside ski, you still balance on the outside ski, and you still tip into the turn.

Do you have an example of you skiing switch to show us how there is no inside and outside ski?
Ummmm, @Jim McDonald was playing along with the jokes. ;)

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I did ski switch once, by accident, for about 10 seconds. :eek:
It ended with a hyperextension of my right calf, closing out my 2011 season a little earlier than planned. :crutches:
Haven't been tempted to try it a second time. :doh:

James

Out There
Instructor
Now we need to define rider and decider,
It's defined in the original statement. "The inside ski is the guide ski and the outside ski is the ride ski." You ride it, stand on it, balance on it. No need to press on it, push it etc. If "guide" is problematic, just default to the outside ski is the ride ski -balance on it. Thus we are back to "left footer" for a turn to the right, and "right footer" for left turn.

Or...we get to "left tip left to go left, right tip right to go right."
That's about as simple as skiing gets. Note that speaks only of the inside ski, and you're guiding it. Take care of the inside ski and you'll do the outside.

This whole "decider" usage may or may not be used by Jf Beaulieu. He does speak in the French tongue.

ted-web.jpg

Left footer. Riding the left ski/balancing on the left ski.

It ended with a hyperextension of my right calf, closing out my 2011 season a little earlier than planned. :crutches:
I guess you weren't joking. You should have someone show you at least basic switch in a V. At some point you're going to go backwards and it's best to be prepared so you don't panic.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Brains and brawn... Big toe side is the brawn, little toe, the brains...

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I use the terms, Smart ski, Dumb ski. The guide ski activity determines how hard the working ski has to work. The inside ski decides what the outside does.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

My similar accidental "switch" event happened the third day of the season and resulted in months of wearing a cast after the surgical repair of my Achilles tendon.

Art of Skiing

Booting up
Pass Pulled
It's still not clear to me what the inside ski decides according to JF, or anyone else using this terminology.
The outside ski is the platform ski, okay I get that.
But what does the inside ski decide? Who can enlighten me?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
My similar accidental "switch" event happened the third day of the season and resulted in months of wearing a cast after the surgical repair of my Achilles tendon.

OUCH! I got away easy.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Josh is right. Instructors run into this dilemma all the time.

--Using "left and right" is riddled with problems. Lots of people get left and right mixed up in daily life. Lots of people. "Weight the right ski to go left" is totally confusing to some folks; they can't think of both at the same time. Of course some people can keep that straight. I never use it in teaching though, because I keep having to say "the other right."

--Using "uphill and downhill" works if you are only talking about the bottom half of a turn. Most skiers can keep straight which way is downhill because it can be seen - you can point to it (although I have encountered beginner adults who have difficulty with this concept). Since many people cut off the tops of their turns, and since most people understand "uphill and downhill" so easily, those terms get a ton of use. But when you are talking about skiing with round turns that have a top that is shaped by the skier, using "uphill and downhill" becomes a problem. Here's why. The left ski is uphill at start of a right turn and the right ski is uphill at end of that same right turn. Now that's really really confusing; which foot is uphill switches at the fall line right smack in the middle of the turn.

--Using "outside and inside" works when talking about round turns that have a top half - in C-shaped turns. Describing what "outside and inside" refer to makes the most sense when someone is standing there on snow walking through a round turn. The outside foot or ski is the one that takes the outside path when you walk through the turn, or when you draw on snow the two lines your feet follow. With some practice, a skier new to these terms can tap the outside boot through a series of low-pitch turns at a slow pace, tap tap tap. Doing this pinpoints when the new turn starts. because it's when the skier switches to tapping the other boot. After doing this, that skier can tap the inside boot, then move on to tapping the inside boot through a series of linked turns. This little exercise is particularly helpful when introducing people to the role of the inside ski/foot/leg in shaping turns.

Let me give you the perspective of someone who 2.5 years ago didn't know how to put a ski on, so this is all really fresh for me. Left/Right was never used by an instructor, thankfully.

I either got uphill/downhill, which has been confusing as hell to me, and led to full blown conversations with the instructor. "No No, it was uphill at the beginning, yes, now it is downhill but I meant at the beginning".

Or I got Outside/Inside, which was always clear and intuitive. I simply visualize a circular trajectory consistent with my current turn, and what's outside or inside is trivial.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just summarizing...

Inside/outside ski
Uphill/downhill ski
Left/right ski
Right/other right ski
Right/wrong ski
Mountain/valley ski
Right/left footer
Stance/free foot
Rider/decider ski
Big toe/little toe side
Smart/dumb ski

I think we need a thesaurus for ski terms.

... all phrases tailored for particular clients. If we wanted universal, we'd drone on in the language of the manuals, and different national ones at that, which is exactly what people reading tech threads who aren't teaching or coaching (and may be absolutely fine skiers!) generally rail against. Use what resonates, keep the other stuff on file. ogsmile

The uphill/downhill - valley/mountain - imho are more of historical interest and part of the thread conversation. I don't use them.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online