• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Inside / outside ski

James

Out There
Instructor
Way too much made over non parallel shins in general. That was the obsession like 10 years ago. Are Mikaela's shins always paralllel? No. Does it matter?
Close enough.
We're talking recreational skiers here, and large a frames not subtle.
I disagree. Imo when you are edging due to inside leg flexion it means there is too much weight on the inside ski. If your weight is on the outside ski however and you shorten the inside leg, but do not tip the outside leg all you will do is lift the inside leg from the ground...
Well of course one can contort themselves in all sorts of ridiculous positions. That's not what we're talking about. It's basically a triangle. if you shorten the inside, it lowers the hypoteneuse- the outside leg. Since the ski is attached to the boot, it increases edge angle. You could fight it by actively rolling your ankle to flatten the outside ski somewhat, but...why?
How do we explain the picture I added?
I see an a-frame, yet the inside leg is bent more than 90 degrees. If I look at JF however, he can ski with much bigger edge angle than Hirscher is showcasing in this picture, yet JF his inside leg never bends as much as Hirscher is showing here. How come?
Seriously?
Hirscher is on the flats here, note the picture title. He's doing a turn in a tuck by rolling the outside ski on edge. That's all. There's not much relation to anything else.
I mean it's like talking about an F-16 from a photo of taxiing on the tarmac.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just summarizing...

Inside/outside ski
Uphill/downhill ski
Left/right ski
Right/other right ski
Right/wrong ski
Mountain/valley ski
Right/left footer
Stance/free foot
Rider/decider ski
Big toe/little toe side
Smart/dumb ski

I think we need a thesaurus for ski terms.

Do we have a term for thesaurus???:)

And look! :crash:That is not a light you are seeing at the end of the tunnel, that is most definitely the oncoming train......now, is it on the inside or the outside track.....:rolleyes:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Fukit, dudes, let's go bowling...

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
This is only true if one is balanced on the outside ski. For those who lean in and weight the inside ski, shortening the inside leg will be problematic at best and terrifying at worst.
Absolutely. Shortening the inside leg is not about putting weight on it and it does not necessarily imply leaning , it is about getting to a higher outside edge.

James

Out There
Instructor
When do we get to the higher level?
Which would be the bikini girls.

Zentune

Getting on the lift
Instructor
You guys are still talking about this?? :D

zenny

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When do we get to the higher level?
Which would be the bikini girls.
All the smart stuff has already been said. Thanks for being a part of that.
The hokey pokey is just a part of the somewhat useful fun of understanding the left from the right.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ Now that I've said that, someone will come up with some more smart stuff to say about it. :duck:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
inside/outside...:roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online