• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Maybe the PF I go to is different, but there are more than a few body builder types in there. They do go elsewhere for real heavy stuff, but I have watched them and a lot of the time they are doing fairly light work. It is working for me. There is enough varity in the equipment that I can work the triceps with a different thing every day I go. Mon machine, Wed pull downs, Fri dumbbells. I am not the most fit old guy there, but I am not the one in worst shape.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
After a couple of months of exclusively single-leg squat/lunge variations, I'm back to bilateral squats (okay, front squats one day; box lunges and Bulgarians the other). And incidentally, after squats with very light weight yesterday, I couldn't sleep because every tiny movement last night reminded me of how sooooooore I was. Apparently the single leg stuff is not a perfect analog.

Anyway, had my trainer review my squat form today. Glad I asked. It was - not great. Not "you have bad habits" per se - more "you have mobility and compensation issues that are interfering with your technique." Also "Yeah, you can get to full depth, but you have to do weird things because you're not actually flexible enough. You're not ready to go to depth yet." But I have a laundry list of things to work on - I have high hopes! It took me a solid year, I think, maybe a little more, to get my deadlift technique to the place it is right now - several rounds of resetting to lower weights, also having to do with mobility and compensation. If it takes another year for squats, it will be worth it. Listening to my trainer has made my body a lot functional outside of the gym, not just in it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe the PF I go to is different, but there are more than a few body builder types in there. They do go elsewhere for real heavy stuff, but I have watched them and a lot of the time they are doing fairly light work. It is working for me. There is enough varity in the equipment that I can work the triceps with a different thing every day I go. Mon machine, Wed pull downs, Fri dumbbells. I am not the most fit old guy there, but I am not the one in worst shape.
Maybe it is a time of day thing. I have seen a lot more bodybuilder types in subsequent visits than I did at first.
All in all, I am liking Planet Fitness a lot more than I expected.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yesterday my rock climbing gym held a modified red point competition. I won first place in the beginner, male and female, category!

I am not quite ready to classify myself as an "intermediate". For reference: Beginner = V0-V2; Intermediate = V3-V5; Advanced = V6-V8. I can climb all the V2's and work through some of the V3's, but I have only finished two V4's that were very specific to my body strengths and climbing style. Oh well, its fun and challenging to climb anything!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yesterday my rock climbing gym held a modified red point competition. I won first place in the beginner, male and female, category!

I am not quite ready to classify myself as an "intermediate". For reference: Beginner = V0-V2; Intermediate = V3-V5; Advanced = V6-V8. I can climb all the V2's and work through some of the V3's, but I have only finished two V4's that were very specific to my body strengths and climbing style. Oh well, its fun and challenging to climb anything!

As someone who sucks at bouldering - I am super impressed!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
For a variety of reasons, skiing is both less compelling and more logistically complicated this season than it's ever been, so my attention has largely shifted to lifting. I'm loving the changes to my body. I can actually see muscles playing under my skin when I do kettlebell presses. My lats and traps are noticeably meatier. Various body parts look firmer than they have in years. And my self-image is so much better - partly because, due to the communities I've been encountering, I'm learning to appreciate strength and muscle (which I can develop while feeling like a badass) rather than being lean (which, if it requires caloric restriction, just feels demoralizing and impossible). I'm even wearing tank tops and leggings - partly because it's comfortable, but let's be honest - partly because I like the way I look in them. The "me" of a year ago would be horrified at the idea of wearing leggings in the gym unless I had something covering them at least to mid-thigh.

But, funny thing - I'm eating a lot, I'm building muscle, and I'm maintaining weight - which, yeah, means I'm losing fat. So far, anyway. I'm denser than ever :)

I've clarified my goals. Told my trainer that I wanted to focus on strength and visible muscle (not getting lean, because I hate calorie deficits - just more of what's already happening, where you can see my muscles bunch when I'm using them. If I'm the only one who notices, that's fine. I'm doing this for me). Pretty soon, we're embarking on some new programming. He only described it in broad strokes, but what I got out of it is that it will be three month cycles, with one month of each dedicated to <something>. I don't remember a lot of the details. One of the months is hypertrophy (no surprise). Something about a month of low reps. Something about doing very slow, controlled lifts. Something about planning to be very, very sore and needing to eat what frankly sounds like an impossible amount of protein.

In the meantime, there's one thing that bugs me, and it's very very silly. My trainer put biceps curls (concentration curls) on my list. I feel weird about doing them. Somehow it's in my head that there are only two types of people who do these curls: muscular men trying to show off, and other men who just think it's what you're supposed to do in the gym. It doesn't help that actually, it's kind of hard to do them correctly, so I have to watch myself in the mirror. So it must look very vain, even worse since the weights involved are not exactly impressive.

I'll get over this. I felt weird about bench press, but not anymore (possibly because I've crossed some arbitrary threshold to where the amount of weight "counts" - which is of course ridiculous). At some point in my life, I felt weird about barbell squats, and deadlifts, and boy did good mornings feel conspicuous when I started doing them.

I probably don't need to worry about looking like a fool - at this point, there are a lot of gym regulars, including some guys who move a lot of weight and definitely look like they belong, who say hi and make small talk when they see me. Oh ... hey ... I just realized ... I'm a regular, too!

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I cancelled my gym membership this month. I just wasn't making it there. I've mostly been swimming for exercise, and I started walking last week (recovering from foot surgery, still). Hopefully I'll be able to build up to running again. I do core work and stretching 3 times a week at home. I should do it every day but it's boring. I'm still thinking about joining the climbing gym when my foot is a little stronger.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I cancelled my gym membership this month. I just wasn't making it there. I've mostly been swimming for exercise, and I started walking last week (recovering from foot surgery, still). Hopefully I'll be able to build up to running again. I do core work and stretching 3 times a week at home. I should do it every day but it's boring. I'm still thinking about joining the climbing gym when my foot is a little stronger.

Yay for climbing gyms! Do they have a "regular" gym area, too? That might be a future possibility.

Swimming and walking are great all-purpose exercise. Despite my intent, I was a total slug after both of my lower body surgeries. There were a lot of upper body / core things I *could* have done, but I didn't. I think you're doing great!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll second the "yay climbing gyms!" My local is in the works to do some expansion and renovation, which should include a better fitness area. Here's to hoping!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yay for climbing gyms! Do they have a "regular" gym area, too? That might be a future possibility.

Swimming and walking are great all-purpose exercise. Despite my intent, I was a total slug after both of my lower body surgeries. There were a lot of upper body / core things I *could* have done, but I didn't. I think you're doing great!
Thanks @Monique! I was losing my mind after my foot surgery when I couldn't work out. I did the hand cycle (talk about boring),every day for 45 minutes for 4 weeks. Then I started swimming again. My surgeon told me I could "try" swimming after 4 weeks, but I went right back to my one hour Masters workouts. I think the hand cycle helped!

I seem to recall a small fitness area at the climbing gym (I was a member a while back). They also have some group fitness classes (yoga and pole). I don't know what the pole workout is about, but it sounds good for climbers.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't know what the pole workout is about, but it sounds good for climbers.

I .. hope it's not what it sounds like!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Pugs, do any of you have experience with evening out a super lopsided pair of legs? I do basically every sport besides skiing left-footed, and it's starting to catch up with me; my right leg just does not have the same strength or speed & it's driving me crazy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Pugs, do any of you have experience with evening out a super lopsided pair of legs? I do basically every sport besides skiing left-footed, and it's starting to catch up with me; my right leg just does not have the same strength or speed & it's driving me crazy.

Bulgarian squats.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Capstone project :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online