• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I'm kind of a big deal around here

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
If you have a "friend" who gets away with that without a beat-down, you're not really friends!! Real friends call BS and kick you in the nuts.. :eek::D
This made me chuckle ;) ;)

Until the excuses come out: "bad set, wrong wax, wrong skis.............etc.etc.etc.................." ogsmile
Who set this F¥(£ing course!!!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Love this thread!

My fav is the story I heard at a ski shop from this guy - an amateur racer - his team always won. When he switched teams the next year, that team won.

I imagine the stories he tells at the bar make him out to be "kind of a big deal" in newer, bigger ways! He's a bit overweight so I think the best days are over!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I always start my ski stories with "Now, I'm a crap skier..." because I noticed that's what genuinely good skiers say :D

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"As do us honest crap skiers!"

You're telling me it doesn't work...:doh:

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
Love this thread!

My fav is the story I heard at a ski shop from this guy - an amateur racer - his team always won. When he switched teams the next year, that team won.

I played on the 9th grade football team. Every game that I played in, we won. The one game I didn't play in, we lost. True fact.

(The coach would only put me in the game after we were assured of winning.)

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Until the excuses come out: "bad set, wrong wax, wrong skis.............etc.etc.etc.................." ogsmile

We all skied the same course, and we all had to make the best call on wax. I don't accept excuses from anyone and I don't use them for myself. I always give props to the guys that beat me, they put in the time in gates and on the bench.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you think there are certain mountains where you don't talk about what a big deal you are?

Examples: Squaw, Jackson Hole, Snowbird

I mean, if you're sitting at a restaurant at Squaw talking about how awesome you were when you ripped Chute 75, there is a good chance Jonny Moseley is at the next table.
If you're at Jackson hole talking about how your massive huck, there is a good chance Griffin Post is a couple seats over at the bar.

I find it humbling to ski these places.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you think there are certain mountains where you don't talk about what a big deal you are?

I find it humbling to ski these places.

Normal people will be humble in their ski talk at places that have big lines. There are braggarts every where that haven't learned when to shut their pie holes.

Watching some of the pro-patrollers at Big Sky skiing patrol "Zs" in the high angle chutes that require a huck or a climb out with a 60# pack keeps me humble and my pie hole silent.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We all skied the same course, and we all had to make the best call on wax. I don't accept excuses from anyone and I don't use them for myself. I always give props to the guys that beat me, they put in the time in gates and on the bench.

Cmon! you're destroying the ethos of masters racing where the first rule is "how can I buy an advantage" rather than training/working out...:roflmao:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Examples: Squaw, Jackson Hole, Snowbird

Crystal Mtn... let yer skis, not yer yap do the talk'in. Best compliment on the mountain... "She/he's a good skier."
Funny thing is very few people recognize our "good skiers" in the lift line. ogsmile

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I played on the 9th grade football team. Every game that I played in, we won. The one game I didn't play in, we lost. True fact. (The coach would only put me in the game after we were assured of winning.)

lol....no really....

I get it, Im a coach...and uh....we do that from time to time.....glad to hear though that your play/win ratio was really high! ;)

So I guess its time to say that every game I coach we win or tie...the one or two games I have other commitments, we loose or someone gets hurt..... now I would never exaggerate, of course.......

Let's Play: You might just be a blowhard:

• if you know for certain and make sure that everybody within earshot knows that the only reason you lost/failed/fell was that your equipment was at fault.......
You might just be a blowhard

• if you know for certain and make sure that everybody within earshot knows that you coulda gone higher/faster/farther/longer if it had not been for your overly concerned spouse/friends/colleagues.......

• if you know for certain and make sure that everybody within earshot knows that you can prove you can build it stronger/better/quicker/more energy efficient than the guy who just finished it despite your audience showing it off proudly.......

• if you know for certain and make sure that everybody within earshot knows that you would march into court/the office/the police station/airport security and give them advice on how to really run things properly.......

;) ;) ;)

JP

Sponsor