• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I'm kind of a big deal around here

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Okay, so here is a topic that I hope turns into a funny/entertaining thread.

I have a friend that is one of those types that everything he does is pretty much the best. That includes regaling me with a variety of ski stories from time to time. The skiing interaction is limited to stories as he lives a considerable distance from me so we never actually go skiing together.

Anyway, it's always like, we just the skied the s*** out of this resort, or telling me about five times about "jumping" in this "steep, steep chute". He finally proudly sent me a pic over a very tiny cornice where best I can tell from the photo maybe he got an inch or two as he's dropping in sideways over the small cornice.

That's cool, he's proud and all of having skied reasonably steep terrain, but he always exaggerates to the nth degree. To preserve the friendship I just patiently say uh huh, yeah that's cool.

But it is getting to the point that next time I hear that "jumping" story, I am going to be really tempted to say, yeah, you did go huge there, looks like you got a couple of inches.

I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with a friend/acquaintance like this. What would you do/have done in similar circumstances? And bring on any funny related stories that you might have!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its funny you should start a thread like this.
While I was working at Northstar I did a pretty good job of networking with employees from other departments, such as events and ski school, so I had a lot of referrals walk in the shop and ask for me.
A short time after a new assistant manager for soft goods started working at the store, a customer walked in and asked for me, and I overheard the asst mgr say, "People keep coming in to ask for Tricia. She must be kind of a big deal."
That quickly became our thing between each other, and we often joked around, "Have you met my friend? She's kind of a big deal."
When we were at Aspen for the HOF events two years ago I found some cocktail napkins that I bought for her.
Maybe you can buy these for your friend. :D
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 10.34.09 AM.png

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Meet a guy through a friend that "used" to be a racer. Bigger man (250#) on 185cm gs skis. With an aggressive nature. So we all went skiing and he took off bombing the upper flat part of a run. When we hit a steeper section on come the brakes(snow flying off the skis). So a smaller guy on 172cm went around him. Got to the lift and big guy said he hadn't been passed in 10 yrs like that. Smaller skier said 2 words.....Vertical separation.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just tune them out when they get into it.

I have a friend who claims to have become pretty good at skiing while living in Utah but the years have caught up with him. Meanwhile I'm in good shape and have had a season pass for the last few years but he hasn't been able to get on the same mountain as me (we hang out frequently locally). He skis weekdays with an older crowd on easy hills where they barely touch black diamonds, let alone anything in the woods. Yet he's still an expert on technique and can criticize other ski hills.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski stories, like sea stories, golf or fishing don't have to be completely true just entertaining at the bar. Think of your buddies "drop in air" as "credit card air", that was what 20-25 credit cards high? A pitcher of IPA and a shot and I am fascinated.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Years ago I belonged to a traveling ski club. We were doing a weekend in Sutton Quebec, staying at the Horizon. So as usual a group get together happens on Friday night in usually one of the ski instructors room. Bar is open with what ever you bring.

New guy, never seen before regales us with his trip to France, bought new skis in France...France....The 4 instructors in the room pass "the look" around. We'll see. The guys took him first thing. One of the other lady instructors and myself are in glades off chair 5. We see the guys out on the run. So Lyn and I pop out of the glades and do some turns above the guys. 2 gals, matching suits, ski up.....full of himself left right after that. DH said that was one of the best shows he'd seen a while.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is why I prefer to race, there is nothing subjective about it.

Until the excuses come out: "bad set, wrong wax, wrong skis.............etc.etc.etc.................." ogsmile

The skiing interaction is limited to stories as he lives a considerable distance from me so we never actually go skiing together.

Sounds like you need to make a point of skiing with him................

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
yeah, we all have friends that are blowhards...and it is entertaining for a while, ain't it?......but bla bla bla and enough is enough sometimes. Though, if he is a decent guy and does well by others...then I guess we put up with it, right?

that pitcher of beer though, is an awfully good idea!

JP