• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I'm kind of a big deal around here

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
There was a middle-aged fellow at my home mountain for whom the CSIA Level 3 was a really tough slog. Kudos to him though: even though he kept failing the exam, he persevered, diligently training and retaking the exam year after year. One day I overheard a conversation between him and a new instructor:

Old guy: Hey, haven't met you before, are you new?
New guy: Yeah, but I have many years of experience at [other mountain]
Old guy: Well welcome to the team, awesome to meet you.
...[small talk, eventually turns to exam talk]...
New guy: So you gonna do the Level 3?
Old guy: Sure, I'll keep trying, though I already failed it seven times! It's not an easy one for an old guy like me.
New guy: Wow, seven times, eh? I'm not into that, I'm like a sniper: One shot, one kill.
Old guy: Uh ... okay, good luck!

A few weeks later, the old guy finally passed it on his 8th try. The not-so-new-anymore guy has since failed it a couple of times and just given up altogether.
Never under estimate us old guys:golfclap:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
To get back to the original question - to me, it depends on the spirit of the comments. If people are just being enthusiastic about how steep the skiing was or how tight the chute or whatever - well to them, it *was* steep, tight, etc. I try to match their enthusiasm. And I'm sure people have done the same with me, because I skied something that was steep, etc *to me.* Good ski instructors do this - they reflect your enthusiasm back at you.

If, on the other hand, they're bragging .... I probably won't match their enthusiasm, but again, why piss in their Cheerios? Let it go. And I've learned that sometimes, I totally misread the situation - the person I thought was a gaper is actually a ripper. So, good thing I kept my yap shut, right? You don't really know which of you is the gaper till you ski together.

Let he who was never an intermediate skier with delusions of expertise cast the first stone.

As long as everyone's having fun, it really doesn't matter. (Grouping up for cat/heli skiing or BC travel being exceptions.)

NB - I'm sure I've violated these principles plenty, and I've definitely been the gaper in the scenario. But the above reflects the attitude and behavior I aspire to exhibit.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I kinda like being a (self imagined) big deal when I'm skiing on my own, otherwise what's the point? When not though I'm usually desperately trying to keep up or thinking "gawd I hope no one is filming this hideous A frame/backseat"

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I have a friend - nicest guy you'll ever meet - who claims to be a, "Solid Level 8," but he's really a 6 - he looks like he's sitting in a chair and reaching up to grab a bar when he skis. He's hoping to do instructor training next season - should be interesting!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a friend - nicest guy you'll ever meet - who claims to be a, "Solid Level 8," but he's really a 6 - he looks like he's sitting in a chair and reaching up to grab a bar when he skis. He's hoping to do instructor training next season - should be interesting!
His skills will change a lot when he gets into instructor training.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This needs to be made into a refrigerator magnet:
Let he who was never an intermediate skier with delusions of expertise cast the first stone.

I was like, Hey, that's a pretty great quote!

Then I was like ...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A few years back I went to an event that was focused on Kayaking and S.U.P's and they let people demo S.U.P's, I over heard one of the people working the event say to a co-worker "it makes me sick to see some of these people try to use the S.U.P.". The first thing that entered my mind was I know a mountain that I would be happy to take you to the top of and watch as you try to get to the bottom.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you think there are certain mountains where you don't talk about what a big deal you are?

Examples: Squaw, Jackson Hole, Snowbird

I mean, if you're sitting at a restaurant at Squaw talking about how awesome you were when you ripped Chute 75, there is a good chance Jonny Moseley is at the next table.
If you're at Jackson hole talking about how your massive huck, there is a good chance Griffin Post is a couple seats over at the bar.

I find it humbling to ski these places.
Funny. The one mountain where I heard more bragging, more posturing and such was having an après coffee at Squaw. (and no these were not ski film stars)

If you area truly a star, you don't talk about it. Most really accomplished and successful people in their craft (except the insecure or damaged ones) are humble and quiet about it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last weekend I skied by myself for the first time this season. It was definitely easier to feel like a big deal when not surrounded by reality checks!
And no one sees your awesomeness! Best runs, best recoveries, and best stories always happen when you're skiing alone.

jseeski

Skiing a little BC powder
Skier
Last weekend I skied by myself for the first time this season. It was definitely easier to feel like a big deal when not surrounded by reality checks!
Anyone here who has ever worked in a ski school that included current or former members of the national Demo Team could probably comment on reality checks! Skiing with any of those people always tends to be a humbling experience.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Brilliant.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend - nicest guy you'll ever meet - who claims to be a, "Solid Level 8," but he's really a 6

Yeah, funny how this doesn't matter and you let it slide like water off a duck's back. Until he's coaching some innocent, or some innocent is innocently using him as a model, and then suddenly it matters. :)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Oops. It was YOUR line. Still brilliant! (Except ... shouldn't it be "him"?) Anyway, point well taken.

Sponsor