• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I'm kind of a big deal around here

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Crystal Mtn... let yer skis, not yer yap do the talk'in. Best compliment on the mountain... "She/he's a good skier."
Funny thing is very few people recognize our "good skiers" in the lift line. ogsmile
I was called out by one of your "good skiers" in the ladies room at Squaw on spring afternoon.
;)

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Cmon! you're destroying the ethos of masters racing where the first rule is "how can I buy an advantage" rather than training/working out...:roflmao:

I never said I don't pay attention to details like strapping down the Velcro on my gloves tight, finding any aero advantage possible and use enough fluoro to coat a non-stick pan in a grudge match race. :D

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
downloadfile.jpeg

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Yeah, she's pretty good. ogsmile

Not that squaw still dosent have some of the raddest skiers in the world but the mid 2000s the depth of talent was unreal. You don't really see the "pros" out in full force quite as much anymore besides Aime, Cody, Johnny, JT ,and last season Connery. Although when we have a good season with a big spring park build the "park pros" show up in full force. Definitely been on the Gold Coast lift for a few "pro call outs" having no idea who the kid was until looking it up and finding out they were Xgamers. Not quite the same as the Ingrid and Shane days with the MSP crew rolling in and out of town.

Had the biggest crush on Ingrid! Tough as nails, and boy could she throw down!! Her seven sunny days segment is one of my all time favorites..

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
While no one will ever mistake me for the best skier on the mountain, my skill set lies in another direction: I have a talent for over stepping my authority and having spent over 40 seasons as a ski bum averaging 80 days/season, making me the skier with the most runs skied, lifetime, on Tod Mountain/Sun Peaks and as such, I am a self appointed expert consultant on skiing and ski resorts in western Canada and specifically Sun Peaks.

A few years after Nippon Cable bought Tod Mountain and started to turn it into Sun Peaks they were getting ground fault false readings on the old Burfield Chair control board. A light would come on indicating a chair derailment when it wasn't. That summer they spent thousands completely rewiring the chair only to have the problem reoccur the following winter. So at the end of the season I sent a letter to the operations manager telling him that:" this is the second time that I have seen the Burfield Chair rewired (1st time was done by previous owners) both times with the same unsuccessful results, so it is time to stop spending good money after bad. It is time to replace the Burfield Chair". And that is exactly what they did that summer.

The fact that Sun Peaks management would have probably gone ahead and replaced the chair without needing my input is irrelevant. I TAKE CREDIT FOR THE TIMING OF THE NEW CHAIR INSTALLATION.

I have given advise (some of it was actually followed) on signage and run names.

One time in early December i ran into the Operations Manager while going in for lunch. He said with a smile: "Dano. the ski patrol is thinking of opening the Chute (2nd steepest run on the mountain), what do you think?" I laughed and said: "As a matter of fact I was skiing the Chute this morning and was thinking that it is in better shape than some of the runs that are open, so yeah go ahead and tell the patrol to open the Chute."

I have a part time job at a ski shop/demo centre, owned by the mountain. I get a staff pass, better pro deals than most ski instructors, work hardly any hours so it is more like a sponsorship than a job.

So, yeah I am kind of a big deal around here, even if it is just in my own mind.:D

Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Next round on you? Wow, so seldom to meet such a fantastic skier who is so handsome. I think that woman at the end of the bar just winked at you.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The last shop that I worked had only three full time employees and all the rest were part time people. Two of the three full timers were "Managers" that did more of the business issues and less of the hardware customer service issues. So when ever a customer came back with equipment that needed customer service I always got the call. The part timers may have been reasonable skilled but sooner or later things come back for adjustment and it was usually boots. One evening a woman came in with the boots that a part time guy sold her, they of course were too big for her and she needed to be fitted with the correct size. But not only did she need a better fit she also need an education on what is a good fit. I provided both, proper fitted boots and the knowledge of how they were supposed to fit. The following week she shows up at the shop with a big smile on her face and bragging how she had the best weekend skiing of her life. She love her new boots even though they still needed to break in and she could appreciate the new skis as well because of the best fitting boots she ever owned. My boss was pleased to hear all the praise as she carried on about my boot fitting skills. At that time as well as a several others HE THOUGHT "I was a big deal around there" maybe because I saved his butt more often then he would cade to admit.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm a big deal wherever I ski...

until someone 6'7" or taller shows up!:D

I like to tell all of my tall friends that people with short legs get to ski more knee deep powder.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hmmm, maybe not as much as you think.
I seem to recall that the length range of the tibia is proportionally smaller than that of the femur.
A substantial height variance would be needed to make a significant difference in "knee-high" powder enjoyment.
Low tree branches, now....:duck:

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I enjoy being "that guy" in my own mind.

I used to surf with a guy who basically made every session sound like the climactic scene from "Point Break." It got to the point where we'd nicknamed him "Epic."

Finally I realized that I needed to cut him loose. Egoists can be mentally exhausting.

Sponsor

Staff online