• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
With all due respect, how would a Ikon pass benefit a “local” at DV?

Oh, yeah, it does not do one single positive thing for us.

As I stated in post #755, keyboard commando

Sorry, but a good deal is only a good deal with it is a positive outcome for all involved. Ikon is good for some, not so much for others.

I know you "left this thread", but I'm gonna reply anyway. Ikon (and Alterra) is good for you, as a Deer Valley local, if it improves the financial health of Deer Valley resort. I'd be hard pressed to believe any counter argument to that. You may not like the additional people on the mountain, but if Deer Valley is now financially stronger and better positioned in the industry, that's a good thing for you. Now, is this true, that this is currently the case? I have no idea; I don't have access to the data that'd be needed to evaluate that. But that's not what you asked.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Please state where I hated on anyone? I have CLEARLY stated several times on this thread that Ikon is here to stay, it will find it’s level. My beef is with people who are not here all the time telling us that Ikon is not having a big effect on the traffic. I have given first hand accounts of my daily observations. I have recounted conversations with DV employees that directly refutes a lot of drivel being posted about 3%-6% Ikon traffic.

So yeah, I do think a lot of people are full of crap without the time on the snow at Ikon locations to make reliable judgements. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

The problem ,as has been identified is that without further segmentation the "data" from resort employees as passed to others, just doesn't tell us much beyond a "it's busier and quite a few people are using Ikon". To use it to deny what Alterra or Ikon related resorts are saying publicly seems a stretch. And being a private corporation they may never publish the hard data needed to fully understand it. Think about it you are basically calling the owners of DV liars on the public internet when you say the 6% is wrong. I'm pretty sure there is something in the small print that might allow them to refuse to sell you a pass next year (not that I think they'd be stupid enough to blunder into that PR nightmare).

DV mgt have the tool to restrict Ikon passholders at will - I had to preregister my days. They obviously are choosing not to exercise it because the consequences of pissing off vactioners by preventing them skiing is worth more to them than keeping some grouchy locals onside. You're already committed so they need to work far less hard to keep that season pass money rolling in from you (though it wouldn't be hard for you to switch to PC if it weren't for your hatred of snowboarders). Sell up and move to the Yellowstone Club would be my advice to anyone seriously miffed by Ikon.

With the greatest respect because I do appreciate your contributions (and the grouchiness) you are not a veteran skier and perhaps you lack the same perspective that many of us who have skied far more places, states, countries and continents have*. I've never really been anywhere that I haven't got on with the locals and been discriminated against. It seems odd that the grey mafia at DV, which has always been shorthand for a pleasant ski experience (even if it's also shorthand for moneyed reactionary holdouts against snowboards) would be the surf punks of the entire ski world , venonously protecting their breaks from outsiders.

* I suspect this is also the reason you don't see any personal benefits from Ikon - how great to be able to ski with friends at other SLC resorts, how great to be able to be able to take a spring trip to Mammoth, how great when you become a better skier to have JH only a few hours up the road, how great to be able to take a short swing down to the SE Utah national parks and hit up Aspen for a coupla days (think the Roaring Fok also has pretty good fishing). When you really breakthrough as a skier having all that on your plate will make concerns about a few more people on the groomers at DV seem small beer.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I’ve determined from this thread that if get to UT next year, I won’t be bring the family to DV. We will stick to Snowbasin & Powder. It appears it’s much more self righteous than it was back in the 90’s or early 2000’s.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Renewal data would be interesting. For those of us whose home mountain is on Ikon (full pass), it's a no-brainer, but as some have mentioned, others were perhaps trying it out in order to do a trip or two, and it happened to be a great snow season almost everywhere. Will they renew? Will new purchases more than make up for any who don't?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Renewal data would be interesting. For those of us whose home mountain is on Ikon (full pass), it's a no-brainer, but as some have mentioned, others were perhaps trying it out in order to do a trip or two, and it happened to be a great snow season almost everywhere. Will they renew? Will new purchases more than make up for any who don't?
Will the snow next season be as good and deep as this?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Will the snow next season be as good and deep as this?

IIRC, big seasons are always followed by a robust vacation rental business. People book months in advance, so they trend toward logical fallacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online