• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon Pass Extends Dates with Offering Double Renewal Discounts and Adventure Assurance

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the email as well and was wondering how people would react. Alterra extending the deferral decision to 4/11/21 loosens one constraint for me to buy. I just wish they'd extend the discount period.

I've gone back and forth on the decision a number of times but after this email I think I'm back to buying the base pass. The sticking point is whether to take the chance on the Aspen add-on.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I would buy one today if the Assurance gave you a PASS for the 21-22 season and not just a credit. The credit is nice but right now I do not have plans to go to an Ikon resort so I will just keep my money in my pocket.

I suspect they will extend the time for discount purchase next week when people still are not buying.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the base pass (5 day) this past season, if I buy the "full pass" for (7 day) next season will I get the full $200 renewal discount, or did I have to have the full pass this past season to g$200 discount?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had the base pass (5 day) this past season, if I buy the "full pass" for (7 day) next season will I get the full $200 renewal discount, or did I have to have the full pass this past season to g$200 discount?
I'm pretty sure based on the popup it says both 19-20 basepass holders or 19-20 full passholder qualifies you for "renewal" pricing on the 20-21 pass. Just try it on the website and see what the total is.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
You will get the full $200 discount

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yea easiest way i think is to login first rather than shop. if you go to your profile there will be a yellow notification saying Renew, with a button/link. Click that link will autoload your cart with your passes you had last year with your discounts. you can edit the cart after that
I had logged in, so I thought that would auto assign the discount. Not sure why it did it for the kids...

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The new Ikon program is sweet, but I'm still not sure I'll sign up. IT doesn't really pay for me unless I make at least one trip West. I'm thinking if I go west this year I'll just suck it up and pay whatever deal I can get.

OTOH it's tempting to buy it and choose someplace that has a high probability of not opening. I could use it all season at Killington and Utah and still get my money back. Windham or Crystal maybe?

dm

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I do like the COVID closure language. What's been holding me back is that we front load and backload a lot of our Ikon activity. Last year my daughters skied 15 days each at Ikon resorts between mid-November and mid-December (I skied 8), another 5 through the end of March then we had planned 10 or so after mid-March. My biggest worry was that we'd eliminate the possibility of a refund/credit by using the pass early and then resorts shutting down.

The only wild card right now is limited access days and how a lottery system or restrictions to state residents might play out.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I do like the COVID closure language.

Wanted to bring up the closure coverage period is to April 11 (1week after Easter).

Is this a signal that the battle for longest seasons maybe Off for now, and we're going back to early closures? If you do ski, be sure to get your fix in early and often.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think April 11 is just around the time when a lot of resorts close. The die-hards among us who want to ski all through the spring are not their focus for deferral and refund policies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been on the fence about renewing.

I'm thinking that if I upgrade to the full Ikon pass (I had the Base pass for 19/20), then I'm paying $799 rather than $599, and therefore if I defer to the following season I have a credit of $799 to work with for 21/22, whatever the pass prices turn out to be.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Wanted to bring up the closure coverage period is to April 11 (1week after Easter).

Is this a signal that the battle for longest seasons maybe Off for now, and we're going back to early closures? If you do ski, be sure to get your fix in early and often.
Tremblant would be closing that weekend. Alterra resort.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I've been on the fence about renewing.

I'm thinking that if I upgrade to the full Ikon pass (I had the Base pass for 19/20), then I'm paying $799 rather than $599, and therefore if I defer to the following season I have a credit of $799 to work with for 21/22, whatever the pass prices turn out to be.
I'm facing the same dilemma. If I want to go to Aspen Gathering, I may as well upgrade from Base to Full pass for $799 renewal price vs. $599 for base pass plus $150 to get 5 days at Aspen. But if we defer we will have $799 credit, and assuming all passes go up $50 next year, the full would be $1049 and base would be $749. Since following year's Gathering would be back to UT, we should be able to get by with Base pass and $50 of our deferred $ would most likely go to waste. Or to put it another way, for the price of next winters Full pass, if we defer, we would only get a Base pass the following season.

Tahoe Value version of Epic Pass is an easier decision at under $670 (after renewal discounts and Senior version for me) for both my wife and I to ski Heavenly (where family cabin is ~1 mile from CA base) 7 days a week and Kirkwood and Northstar Sun-Fri, excluding holidays at all three places.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

That is also around the date that they will start selling the passes for the 21/22 ski season. Usually, they include "the rest of this season and all of next season" as a carrot to attract new pass holders.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier

I'm not sure if that's the case. Crystal Mountain (Alterra owned) opened back up this week for skiing with modified operations (reservations by time slot were required, social distancing rules, sanitization of the gondola, etc.). But it's June, and they still gave it a shot knowing that most people who would come up are probably pass holders. They are probably losing money on it. That tells me that it may be the case that the goal is selling passes and then actually providing value to the passholder. Or at least the fact that good PR is worth spending some money on. So are early closures to be expected? Maybe, I don't know, but I wouldn't be so sure of that. I'm just gonna wait and see.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I posted this in the Tahoe Stoke thread but I'll post here too.
Did any of you get the survey from Squaw? (or any of the IKON resorts for that matter)
I got a survey but Phil didn't so I was wondering if it was a random draw on who got it and who didn't.
It was pretty much a survey asking how covid would impact travel plans througout the summer.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I posted this in the Tahoe Stoke thread but I'll post here too.
Did any of you get the survey from Squaw? (or any of the IKON resorts for that matter)
I got a survey but Phil didn't so I was wondering if it was a random draw on who got it and who didn't.
It was pretty much a survey asking how covid would impact travel plans througout the summer.
No survey for us.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any thoughts on "choosing" a home mountain vs keeping the all resorts default for the covid credit option if you only intend to ski an Alterra owned mountain?

Sponsor

Staff online