• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon Pass Extends Dates with Offering Double Renewal Discounts and Adventure Assurance

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IKON PASS ANNOUNCES
20/21 SPRING PROMOTION EXTENSION TO JUNE 16, 2020

Offering Double Renewal Discounts and Adventure Assurance

DENVER, CO, May 20, 2020 – Ikon Pass announces an extension of the spring promotion for the 20/21 Ikon Pass through June 16, 2020 (previously May 26, 2020), allowing Ikon Pass holders more time to take advantage of the lowest prices ever. Prices will go up on June 17, 2020.

Early purchase benefits made available to 20/21 Ikon Pass holders as a show of community gratitude include:

• Double renewal savings - due to the shortened 19/20 winter season and to provide some value back to Ikon Pass holders, renewal discounts have been doubled, resulting in up to $200 off an Ikon Pass
  • Adventure Assurance - 20/21 Ikon Pass holders have the choice to defer adventure to the following season for any reason with no fee
  • Zero-Interest Payment Plan - Four easy payments with only $199 down, now available through July 31, 2020
  • Child Pass Promotion - Purchase up to two discounted Child Ikon Passes or Child Ikon Base Passes for children ages 5-12 with the purchase of an Adult Ikon Pass or Adult Ikon Base Pass. New renewal discounts apply.
  • Two New Destinations: Mt. Bachelor in Oregon and Windham Mountain in New York
  • Extended deadlines to get the lowest price available - until June 16, 2020
Please enjoy the 20/21 Ikon Pass video.

The Ikon Pass unlocks adventure with access to 43 iconic winter destinations across the Americas, Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand and is a collaboration of industry leaders - Alterra Mountain Company, Aspen Skiing Company, Boyne Resorts, POWDR, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird, SkiBig3, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Taos Ski Valley, Windham Mountain, Thredbo, Mt Buller, Niseko United, Valle Nevado, and NZ Ski. Each demonstrates integrity, character and independence that is reflected in their mountains and guests.

Click below for all Ikon Pass product details - pricing, access, and benefits.

Ikon Pass
Ikon Base Pass
Ikon Base Pass with Jackson Hole Mountain Resort & Aspen Snowmass Access
Ikon Session Pass 4-Day

For more information please visit www.ikonpass.com.

About Ikon Pass
The Ikon Pass welcomes skiers and riders to a community of inspiring mountain destinations and the people who live and play among them across the Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. Brought to you by Alterra Mountain Company, the Ikon Pass unlocks adventure at iconic and unique destinations including Aspen Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper Mountain Resort, Arapahoe Basin Ski Area, and Eldora Mountain Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Jackson Hole Mountain Resort in Wyoming; Big Sky Resort in Montana; Stratton, Sugarbush Resort, and Killington in Vermont; Windham Mountain in New York; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain in Michigan; Crystal Mountain and The Summit at Snoqualmie in Washington; Mt. Bachelor in Oregon; Tremblant in Quebec and Blue Mountain in Ontario, Canada; SkiBig3 in Alberta, Canada; Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Cypress Mountain in British Columbia, Canada; Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Maine; Loon Mountain in New Hampshire; Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico; Deer Valley Resort, Solitude Mountain Resort, Brighton Resort, Alta Ski Area, and Snowbird in Utah; Zermatt in Switzerland; Thredbo and Mt Buller in Australia; Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Mt Hutt in New Zealand; Niseko United in Japan, and Valle Nevado in Chile. Special offers are available at CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures, the world’s largest heli-skiing and heli-accessed hiking operation. For more information, please visit www.ikonpass.com.

About Alterra Mountain Company
Alterra Mountain Company is a family of 15 iconic year-round mountain destinations, including the world’s largest heli-ski operation, offering the Ikon Pass, the globe’s newest season pass that invites skiers and riders to seek the unique of each mountain. The company owns and operates a range of recreation, hospitality, real estate development, food and beverage, retail and service businesses. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with destinations across the continent, Alterra Mountain Company is rooted in the spirit of the mountains and united by a passion for outdoor adventure. Alterra Mountain Company’s family of diverse playgrounds spans six U.S. states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton and Sugarbush Resort in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. Also included in the portfolio is Alpine Aerotech, a worldwide helicopter support and maintenance service center in British Columbia, Canada. Alterra Mountain Company honors each destination’s unique character and authenticity and celebrates the legendary adventures and enduring memories they bring to everyone. For more information, please visit www.alterramtnco.com.

###​

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I must've opted out from their email list. Thanks for the info. Have it noted on my calendar now.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a smart move by Alterra. I'm a potential Ikon pass buyer but in my own case I have not bought season passes for the family for next year. Seeing the premature openings happening around the country in states with rising cases makes me think next season is going to be heavily impacted by the pandemic. Since I also have no faith in our federal leadership I expect we're not going to be rid of coronavirus until a vaccine comes along. To buy a set of passes in the face of that is something I will not do. To pay 40% or 50% more later once the threat has reduced but prices have risen will also be a hard pill to swallow.

The one factor that makes me more likely to buy passes is that the state of Colorado, Summit County, and Arapahoe Basin do all seem to be on the same page with me as to how much lock down is needed. You can be sure I won't be traveling to any state that values business survival over human survival but Colorado seems to be striking the right balance. Hopefully that will lead to a tolerable situation next season where I won't feel as if I'm endangering my family by indulging a hobby. For now though I'm on the sidelines for the foreseeable future.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I'm not buying yet. Part of that is the added cost of Aspen and Jackson Hole this year, but mostly it's the uncertainty of air travel. If I lived in Denver or SLC it would be a different story, but I live in NY.

dm

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I suspect they are having quite a time to get people to commit to buying. So many uncertainties. I was thinking about committing again to the Base Pass and if things didn't look good, deferring it and picking up the Tonik pass instead for Tremblant.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was getting myself ready to renew my Base pass, actually upgrade to the full Ikon in the next week. I’m not sure this extension makes it any easier to make a decision, as I get to agonize about it for another 3 weeks. Still I‘m glad to have a little more time.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seems like adventure assurance would help with justification.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would rather a guarantee of some kind of carry over insurance or refund if they do close next season. What if December is good and everything shuts down in January? December 10 just seems to early to make a choice of to ski or not to ski. I will buy a pass for sure. I’m debating Ikon or just BBMR as I don’t see myself travelling next year.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think that it's going to matter even if they extend the deadline to September. Loads of folks aren't going to be making ANY travel/vacation/pass decisions until they see how everything shakes out over the summer. I asked my wife last night if she wanted to go ahead and book flights for Xmas (fares are really low right now) and she said, "What makes you think that we're going to be traveling anywhere to ski this winter?"
And that's coming from someone who has traveled multiple times per ski season in the past 15 years.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thing is, if they indeed operate a full season, it doesn’t matter that many or most people might be averse to the risks of travel to ski resorts. If you are OK with the risks, or are comfortable with the risk mitigation that you take as well as what the resorts do, then it could be an amazing ski experience. If the conditions are good and the crowds non-existent, isn’t that what we kind of dream about? In an ironic twist, the pandemic period, or “mitigated pandemic” period, or post-pandemic period could the best skiing many of us might have in a long time.

I think crowding will be minimal, once the hard-core among us are done overwhelming A Basin or other places that are first to open. I image much of the casual skiing public has already written off next season. So that might make me decide to jump on the pass, more so than if there had been no pandemic, than if I knew everything was fine and to expect serious crowds next season.

And it’s nonetheless saddening that it might took something this bad, this serious, this consequential, for the kind of uncrowded skiing experience we all say we want, at the resorts we want to visit.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I called to ask if I could add the extra $ for Aspen or JH at a later date, say in January. The rep I spoke to said that decision has not been made yet. ???

I don't want or need the full pass, however, I am likely to go to one or the other. Aspen for the Gathering if that happens next season, or JH with my pow chasing ski buddies. If I thought I would do both I would spring for the full Ikon.

Edit: My ski club was going to Aspen around the same time as the gathering. They just announced we are postponing the trip until 21/22 season.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would rather a guarantee of some kind of carry over insurance or refund if they do close next season. What if December is good and everything shuts down in January? December 10 just seems to early to make a choice of to ski or not to ski. I will buy a pass for sure. I’m debating Ikon or just BBMR as I don’t see myself travelling next year.
I do agree, if there was some sort of "opt out" or insurance, people would be more likely to commit now. Between Ikon and Epic...I think Vail is reading and reacting to the times much better. I have to say, if asked prior, I would have bet it would have been the other way around.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
The main reason I get IKON is for Taos. I don’t see myself flying next year, so IKON is out. I will get the Epic pass for local skiing. If Taos becomes doable, I can get the Costco special or pay the military rate.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
This extension is unlikely to make any difference to me. I would have already renewed our passes if I'd been happy with the "Adventure Assurance" option. But I don't like the open ended nature of the pricing of that option, so I'll probably hold on to my money for now. It's looking likely that international travel will be impractical next season, and I don't see the sense in putting a deposit on a 2021/22 pass now when the final price is unknown. If they changed the Adventure Assurance option such that I could defer my pass for no additional cost then I'd buy our passes right away.

I agree with what Phil said above. Feels like Ikon/Alterra is a bit slow to understand the full implications of what's happening in the world right now. Hopefully they figure it out soon.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Ikon full renewal is a great value, but if they need to go to a ticket limit/reservation system in order to cope with social distancing, that might mean limited use of the pass. There is no way for Alterra to address this presently, but it is one of the reasons holding me back from purchasing the pass. I will just have to see if I am feeling lucky at the deadline. ;)

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
I'll defer my pass until 21/22, if it looks like a majority of the included resorts will be operating at minimal capacity. Otherwise, I'm hoping to keep my ski trips to areas within driving distance. I know Alterra has enough finances to weather the storm. But I'm not as sure about the businesses that make up resort towns. I would like to see some 20/21 ski adventure money going their way.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So in order to invoke "Adventure Insurance" you have to decide by Sept 10th? Is that right? That's pretty early in the cycle to understand how things are going to be IMHO.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
So in order to invoke "Adventure Insurance" you have to decide by Sept 10th? Is that right? That's pretty early in the cycle to understand how things are going to be IMHO.
What I read was the deferral can start on September 10 up until December 10. Sadly, they will only credit the value of the pass. I wish they would give you a 21/22 pass not just credit today’s pass.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is the always possibility that the pass prices for 21/22 are the same as 20/21, in which case there is no loss if one uses the deferral option.
An issue I could see is that if I upgrade to full Ikon Pass for 20-21 with the intention of a trip to Jackson and/or Aspen, and then decide to defer to 21/22 and wanting to downgrade to the Base Pass.

Sponsor

Staff online