• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon Pass Extends Dates with Offering Double Renewal Discounts and Adventure Assurance

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just a note... If you ride the Gondola at Crystal during the week in the off season , they just look your pass up and don't scan it. They do scan it if you ride on the weekends or holidays.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just a note... If you ride the Gondola at Crystal during the week in the off season , they just look your pass up and don't scan it. They do scan it if you ride on the weekends or holidays.

That may have been true last season. This season is likely to be different.

Andrew Pitts

Booting up
Skier
Yes, I believe early on there was some other date. I not sure what that date was but I know Copper changed in a similar way.

Here is the gotcha now for Ikon.

An Adventure Assurance deferral to the 21/22 winter season is only available for 20/21 Ikon Passes and Friends & Family vouchers that have not been scanned or used for any kind of access to any Ikon Pass destination after June 4, 2020. Any use of the pass during Northern Hemisphere summer 2020 or Southern Hemisphere winter 2020 will be considered used and will not be eligible for an Adventure Assurance deferral.

Does this mean if you used your pass for a summer scenic lift ride or to go hiking it is considered "used"? Sounds like it.

We went up to Winter Park a couple weeks ago, and they had signs up saying basically "be careful to not scan your 20/21 Ikon Pass as it will make it count as used for the season for Adventure Assurance." However, they pointed you to the ticket window where they would just look you up in the system then print you a day pass (for free) to take the scenic gondola up.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will say, the most impressive number with the demographic is that we have 22.5% female readership, that number is more than three times the average for a multigender sports/lifestyle site.
It helps to have a Velvet Hammer. Note TGR does not have one.

Thanks to this thread, I'm slightly clearer on which option I'm going to choose (Single Destination, Mammoth). Am not 100% sure, I might be swayed. Am trying not to overthink it. I appreciate the links some have posted (@Tricia , @raytseng ), which helped me organize info.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And here I am, just about to select "one destination, Mammoth" as well, but wanting to check out everyone's thoughts since my decision cannot be changed.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think i gave my advice earlier. dont overthink it. if you truly are a nomad then click allresorts. if you have a home mtn then protect the 1 resort/trip then protect the one resort.
Psychologist say loss is felt harder then gains, so you will feel better getting money back from a blown home resort then any slim profits via gamesmanship in attempting to pick a winner.
Likely it won't matter, what hits 1 resort will lilely ripple through the industry and both programs will come out the same. It would be very weird (but possible) scenarios where your choice would've made a significant difference.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You could try to game the system by playing "outbreak lottery" - pick a resort that you think is most likely to have the biggest visits/ spreads by imprudent visitors. E.g. if you believe Texan visitors might be numerous and not good at keeping to protocols you might pick a resort likely to have a lot of them over NY, MLK, Pres, Spring break etc.

But basically @ raytseng is right. You'd feel stupid doing that and losing while your actual home resort is shutdown by e.g. a statewide measure that has nothing to do with objective risk there.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm trying to decide too. Some of the Canadian provinces are on the uptick right now. I think it's just Covid fatigue and not paying attention to details. But.....My thinking is the same as @raytseng. Choose the mountain I go to and leave it at that. Now do I pay the money for the seasonal rental....that I would not get back if they close in January. Or maybe my landlord would let me go month to month instead of all up front....

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What happens if someone in the USA chooses a Canadian mountain and Canada's border remains closed to us ... built-in exit strategy? Are those in the USA even allowed to pick a Canadian mountain?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I chose my local Ikon Mt, Crystal for myself. I’m tempted to select Steamboat for Shamora, just because if I do indeed take my planned Aspen Gathering road trip, she would want to go with me to Steamboat for a week first, then fly home (direct flight from Hayden to SEA). That may be most of the skiing she does this season.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What happens if someone in the USA chooses a Canadian mountain and Canada's border remains closed to us ... built-in exit strategy? Are those in the USA even allowed to pick a Canadian mountain?
There’s a difference between “eligible” resorts for the purpose of the Assurance program, and resorts that have access with the Ikon passes.

There are only two Canadian “eligible” resorts to select for “single resort“ credit for Covid closures, Tremblant and Blue Mt. I’m not sure how many people in the USA will pick either of those for their single resort selection.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There’s a difference between “eligible” resorts for the purpose of the Assurance program, and resorts that have access with the Ikon passes.

There are only two Canadian “eligible” resorts to select for “single resort“ credit for Covid closures, Tremblant and Blue Mt. I’m not sure how many people in the USA will pick either of those for their single resort selection.
lol, i think the wording for ikon is the resort is closed, not you can"t get there. So yea this could potentially be the scenario of being overly clever and screwing yourself over trying to be game the system especially if canada remained open but your home mtn shutdown

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
lol, i think the wording for ikon is the resort is closed, not you can"t get there. So yea this could potentially be the scenario of being overly clever and screwing yourself over trying to be game the system especially if canada remained open but your home mtn shutdown

And I think that scenario is more likely to happen....I'm choosing Tremblant. Quebec closed before Ontario did fully.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds about right. Was only wondering about it.

Mid-Atlantic, no home mountain. Sugarbush VT would be my pick and I'm not going to drive for 8 hours to ski ice, therefore if the East has another season like the last two, doubt I'd even go there once of the course of the season. Tremblant actually would be a better choice because it's still assessable via automobile road trip (just), and more likely to get snow from the all to common of late rain/ice/mixed precip storm in VT ... but there's that border thing.

I like the plan @David Chaus has in mind for Shamora. That sort of thing could work for me if I could bring myself around to picking a place to search for refundable lodging and booking a flight. A lot of unknowns there, and little idea as of today which western states will get the goods this winter.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of unknowns there, and little idea as of today which western states will get the goods this winter.
Oh, they all will, you know....during the one year (or the first year) in which many people choose not to fly.

I have heard it's likely to be a "strong" La Niña year, whatever that tells you. I don't particularly think it's indicative of a lot of snow this coming season, but people go bat#&@t with the slightest statistical correlation.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Oh, they all will, you know....during the one year (or the first year) in which many people choose not to fly.

I have heard it's likely to be a "strong" La Niña year, whatever that tells you. I don't particularly think it's indicative of a lot of snow this coming season, but people go bat#&@t with the slightest statistical correlation.
A friend was telling me recently that La Nina years means expect some cold snaps which might mean good or even very good conditions on the coast but frigid with less snow in the interior.

Anyone picking a Canadian Ikon resort needs to keep in mind that it is unlikely that Canada will open the border with the US without there first being a vaccine available. International travelers will face 14 day quarantine.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am still torn but ... I would guess that if anything closes in CA, it will be a statewide order so it doesn't really matter whether I pick Big Bear or Mammoth. Of course, there is always ,,, NV. That's what makes it more complicated. I'm inclined to just not worry about it. Once I activate my pass, anything goes. The biggest issue for me is the 7 consecutive day caveat. It could closed for 6 and open for 1 and then close for 3 .... until it finally reached 21?

ETA: that 21 day threshold makes it more sensible to choose Mammoth with the longer season. Hmmm.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got an Ikon VIP discount offer of $200 off, at $949

Wonder if this reflects low sales? :huh:

Sponsor