• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think it just coincides with the time ski area profit would go in the red without pass sales, and they get a quick cash infusion to help fund improvements over the summer.

Reactions: RJS

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm not sure I get it - the price of an Ikon base or full pass to anyone who can afford to travel to any of the premium resorts that are the draw surely isn't a major financial commitment. Isn't the point that they are after the well heeled skier?

More so for locals on seasonal jobs looking to buy for next year I guess.

I'm still interested in what effect the roadtripping bum will have on the resorts signed up - my guess is not much. I'm certainly pointing people over this side of the pond at it - "We were considering Winter Park/Steamboat" "Make sure you get an Ikon then you get Aspen for free too"

Reactions: RJS

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The same reason people would prefer the installment option.

It's more of an annoyance, like having to repalce the transmission in your car, but for a family of four with other expenses a few thousand isn't chump change either. Probably similar for some retirees on a fixed income.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not sure I get it - the price of an Ikon base or full pass to anyone who can afford to travel to any of the premium resorts that are the draw surely isn't a major financial commitment. Isn't the point that they are after the well heeled skier?"

Very good point. I did a decent amount of traveling to go skiing this year, and passes ended up being a small portion of the overall cost. Lodging, equipment, transportation, food, vacation time (if your company pays you out for vacation days, and you make, say, 50K a year, each vacation day you take costs you about $192), other opportunity costs. Even if you are only planning on using the Ikon Pass for day trips, the gas and wear/tear on your vehicle add up more than you would think.

I still agree that it would make sense to have the pay monthly or put a bit of money down now option if the goal is to sell more passes. I think they have bigger goals than pass sales, though their pass pricing is surprisingly similar to Vail's.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think, maybe, this was a business decision to prioritize free skiing the remainder of this year over the down payment option.
I've already seen it at both Mammoth & Squalpine. People who normally wouldn't ski this late in the season are giving it a try & realizing how hassle free it can be. They are also allowed to enjoy all the other late day activities that aren't available during the dark winter. Shrewd tactic by Ikon, Epic completely misses the boat when it comes to Springtime.

Last week
Mammoth 4-24 18.JPG

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like Ikon also has the major Masters races sewn up...

2019 Eastern Regional Championships
Stratton, VT
January 24-27, 2019

2019 FIS Masters Cup/Western Regional Championships
Aspen Highlands, CO
February 8-10, 2019
(followed by DH February 11-12, 2019)

2019 Masters Nationals
Mammoth, CA
DH, SG, GS, SL March 17-23, 2019

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Epic completely misses the boat when it comes to Springtime.
Except in Colorado where A-basin is on Epic.

It's nice to see Winter Park staying open a bit later. I'm hoping Copper will do the same.

A-basin gives the Epic Pass at least a month of additional skiing in the spring. That could change in coming years, though, as next year is the last year A-basin is committed to Epic. We'll see.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
And the world cup moguls at Tremblant in January 2019!

And World Championship moguls & aerials in Deer Valley in Feb 2019. (Although, other events will be at Solitude and PCMR.)

Although I want to go to World Champs, I cannot commit with too many "what ifs" going on in my life.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sorry for the thread bump/drift but has anyone heard rumors regarding Mountain Collective for 19/20 now that Ikon is here? Is it likely to be continued? Will Steamboat/Winter Park/Copper/Deer Valley be added?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Sorry for the thread bump/drift but has anyone heard rumors regarding Mountain Collective for 19/20 now that Ikon is here? Is it likely to be continued? Will Steamboat/Winter Park/Copper/Deer Valley be added?

I have no insider knowledge, but I would bet the MC continues though it may get modified a bit. I would be very surprised if those resorts got added though. The MCP is likely to be the last bastion of semi-independent big-time resorts.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So far, MCP is adding Big Sky for the 2018-19 season, no news about adding any other resorts this season. I suppose they could add a few others. Over the last few years I haven’t noticed any reliable source of gossip about future plans beyond the upcoming season; it’s anyone’s guess about what the MCP will offer for 2019-2020. It will probably depend on how many MCP’s are sold, and how much MCP pass holders spend on other purchases at the resorts they visit. If it makes money for the resorts, they’ll continue to participate, unless the Ikon pass participation makes them even more money.

There are only a few resorts that are on MCP but not Ikon: Snowbasin, Sun Valley and Taos (unless I missed one).

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I already picked up my MCP passes for @ChunderBlunder and myself for 18-19. Bonus day at Big Sky. The Gathering will offset the pass cost, now I just need to figure out where else we are going to go.....

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're thinking we might make the Wyoming swing on either our way into, our out of, Big Sky..... Personally, I'd like to hit Jackson and Targhee prior to the Gathering to get good and acclimated. The other side of that is, how much can my knee take?? My knee was blown out pretty good in Utah after the 4th day. Some of that had to do with hitting a rock buried under the snow at Basin. It worked, but it was swollen up good every night. Advil, prednisone, and the hot tub kept me in the game but I was certainly slowed down. I was usually done by 1. I got my wind and lost my knee. At some point I am just going to have to get this thing replaced. Trying to hold out a couple more years until I retire. @ChunderBlunder is absolutely chomping at the bit already for the season to start. He just took his mid terms with the ski patrol. Yesterday I booked our room for Killington and the World Cup over Thanksgiving weekend. Going to start looking at Big Sky lodging soon........

Sponsor

Staff online