• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Looks like Solitude is getting to the ikon pass. Not a big surprise

Any details or just the acqn announcement that they would be announcing Ikon access in due course? The real Q is whether they make it unlimited given outright ownership.

PhillyGuy

Booting up
Skier
Any details or just the acqn announcement that they would be announcing Ikon access in due course? The real Q is whether they make it unlimited given outright ownership.

It wasn't explicit that access would be included when they announced the acquisition, but now it's on their FAQ

HAS SOLITUDE MOUNTAIN RESORT JOINED THE IKON PASS?
Yes, however access details have not been announced yet, please stay tuned and sign up for announcements at ikonpass.com.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So for those here in CO or will be here during Christy Sports Powder Daze there will be a discounted Ikon Pass. And the days of the Copper/Winter Park 4+1 for $169/$179 during the event are history. Now $209/$219 for a 5 pack.

POWDER DAZE EXCLUSIVE OFFER $50 off the Ikon pass and Ikon base pass for adult/teen/child
  • $949/$649 - $50 off the online price
  • No Pass Printing on Site

https://christysports.com/powderdaze/stash.html

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like Solitude is getting to the ikon pass. Not a big surprise

Have we officially heard this yet (though I'm pretty sure you're correct)? The last I heard, Alterra closed on the Solitude acquisition a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to announce how/if Solitude will be incorporated into the Ikon Pass.

If the Ikon Base gets even 5 days at Solitude, I'll be very happy as a destination skier. Getting from Boston to the SLC resorts is about as easy and cheap as it gets in terms of flying out West to go skiing. Having 15 days of skiing in Utah would be a dream :). I got to ski almost a full day at Solitude at the end of March and had a blast. I'll be curious to see how Brighton handles SolBright pass upgrades for Ikon Pass holders using Solitude days :huh: because I would pay a little bit to ski at Milly for a morning.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dumb question but I assume that the current pricing for the Ikon base pass will remain in place for the rest of the season. Is that correct or is there a traditional bump in price beyond the early season pricing that already passed? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up the base pass at $699 but am planning to wait until closer to the start of the season. If it was expected to go up again I'd buy now

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dumb question but I assume that the current pricing for the Ikon base pass will remain in place for the rest of the season. Is that correct or is there a traditional bump in price beyond the early season pricing that already passed? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up the base pass at $699 but am planning to wait until closer to the start of the season. If it was expected to go up again I'd buy now
It actually started at $599 if I recall correctly, so it has already been bumped once......

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It actually started at $599 if I recall correctly, so it has already been bumped once......

Yes, that's correct about $599. I skipped that deadline as I wasn't sure I would want the pass this season. I'm just looking see if another bump is expected.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have we officially heard this yet (though I'm pretty sure you're correct)? The last I heard, Alterra closed on the Solitude acquisition a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to announce how/if Solitude will be incorporated into the Ikon Pass.

If the Ikon Base gets even 5 days at Solitude, I'll be very happy as a destination skier. Getting from Boston to the SLC resorts is about as easy and cheap as it gets in terms of flying out West to go skiing. Having 15 days of skiing in Utah would be a dream :). I got to ski almost a full day at Solitude at the end of March and had a blast. I'll be curious to see how Brighton handles SolBright pass upgrades for Ikon Pass holders using Solitude days :huh: because I would pay a little bit to ski at Milly for a morning.

Huge question. Boyne owns Brighton, Boyne already has a relationship with Alterra (Big Sky, Loon etc).

I wonder if controlling both Cottonwood's would cause legal issues for Ikon.

While I've never skied between them our MO has always been more BCC then LCC and I will miss Brighton this coming season. (One of a couple of bummers resulting from the formation of Ikon and the demise of Max Pass). Brighton is a great place to hang out during a good Utah dumping.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Huge question. Boyne owns Brighton, Boyne already has a relationship with Alterra (Big Sky, Loon etc).

I wonder if controlling both Cottonwood's would cause legal issues for Ikon.

While I've never skied between them our MO has always been more BCC then LCC and I will miss Brighton this coming season. (One of a couple of bummers resulting from the formation of Ikon and the demise of Max Pass). Brighton is a great place to hang out during a good Utah dumping.

Its been a few weeks since the Solitude deal closed. I'm hopeful and taking that as a sign Alterra is trying to work out details with Boyne. I (maybe foolishly) would assume any Solitude only specifics could have been worked out by now.

Might be seeing something where there's nothing though.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
What details are you thinking Alterra would be working out with Boyne? Solbright combo pass? I'd be very surprised if Brighton participates at all on the IKON pass. I think it is more wishful thinking on your part.

In fact, I doubt that AltaBird will participate on IKON going forward if Solitude is added as an unlimited option. Fact is, the reason why i think details on Solitude/IKON are being held up is due to AltaBird and potential competitve clauses they had.

If you are AltaBird, you're not a happy camper with the arrangement if suddenly IKON is unlimited Solitude. Now IKON is more of a direct competitor versus the point in time at which you agreed to be a partner. That may be why IKON wouldn't add Solitude as unlimited this year and why details are taking some time to be worked out.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What details are you thinking Alterra would be working out with Boyne? Solbright combo pass? I'd be very surprised if Brighton participates at all on the IKON pass. I think it is more wishful thinking on your part.

In fact, I doubt that AltaBird will participate on IKON going forward if Solitude is added as an unlimited option. Fact is, the reason why i think details on Solitude/IKON are being held up is due to AltaBird and potential competitve clauses they had.

If you are AltaBird, you're not a happy camper with the arrangement if suddenly IKON is unlimited Solitude. Now IKON is more of a direct competitor versus the point in time at which you agreed to be a partner. That may be why IKON wouldn't add Solitude as unlimited this year and why details are taking some time to be worked out.

Maybe, but with all three on IKON and the ease of getting to the canyons from SLC and affordable logding, it might increase skier visits to all three. Too bad for locals.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to say, the Ikon still doesn’t work for me, unless I’m planning multiple trips, as they don’t include any resorts in the PNW. I would need a local resort with unlimited (or with a few holiday blackout days) access, in addition to a nice selection of destinations. Then again, I’m probably not their target demographic.

For now, the MCP makes more sense. But I didn’t get an MCP for this coming year because I may not travel enough to make it worth my money. If I go to the Gathering, I’ll purchaser multi-day tickets, which if purchased far enough in advance would cost less than the MCP (including several additional 50% days).

So with Vail’s acquisition of Stevens, an Epic Local may make the most sense, especially since it includes the major destination resort that easiest for me to get to (Whistler). Alterra should seriously consider a PNW resort if they want some traction with the PNW population base.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have to say, the Ikon still doesn’t work for me, unless I’m planning multiple trips, as they don’t include any resorts in the PNW. I would need a local resort with unlimited (or with a few holiday blackout days) access, in addition to a nice selection of destinations. Then again, I’m probably not their target demographic.

For now, the MCP makes more sense. But I didn’t get an MCP for this coming year because I may not travel enough to make it worth my money. If I go to the Gathering, I’ll purchaser multi-day tickets, which if purchased far enough in advance would cost less than the MCP (including several additional 50% days).

So with Vail’s acquisition of Stevens, an Epic Local may make the most sense, especially since it includes the major destination resort that easiest for me to get to (Whistler). Alterra should seriously consider a PNW resort if they want some traction with the PNW population base.
If you do decide to get a MCP, click on the ad at the top of this forum. :D
Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 12.44.37 PM.png

Sponsor

Staff online