• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon/Alterra 20/21 COVID Operations Plan?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is where the problems could arise (from the Ikon FAQ):

If the destination is open, but I did not gain access due to capacity limitations, will I earn credit toward my 21/22 Ikon Pass?
No. If the destination is open, it is considered accessible. Unlock the best experience by familiarizing yourself with each destination's access policy.
VIEW ALL FAQS

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier

If the destination is open, but I did not gain access due to capacity limitations, will I earn credit toward my 21/22 Ikon Pass?
No. If the destination is open, it is considered accessible. Unlock the best experience by familiarizing yourself with each destination's access policy.
VIEW ALL FAQS

Yes, this could start a riot outside a mountain on a big powder day.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

VIEW ALL FAQS

Yeah....going to be real interesting. There are rumors floating around that I've heard from two different types of players in this that capacity restrictions are going to be much tighter than is being let on by resorts at this time. Ski areas are being very careful with their language to not say how many they are dialing back to. Certainly this is partially because those are still under negotiation. Potentially partially because they could scare off pass sales with a number like 50%.

Last edited:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
It seems to me that peak reservation time at Ikon Pass resorts like Jackson (not where Ikon IS the season pass) will only matter for holiday season/weekends. Most people plan their vacations somewhat in advance so if you have an Ikon Pass and want to book a trip to Jackson you will make an advance reservation for skiing and then get lodging and airline tickets. I think it will mostly be a non issue.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still have yet to see anything related to mountain owned lodging and "stay and ski" packages for Mammoth. SV/AM had an email a few weeks ago touting slopeside lodging deals with tickets for corresponding nights. Any others out there?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is just a guess, but I think that popular (ie: busy) weekend destinations will be completely closed out this season for non pass holders. I don't see how priority can be given to pass holders, allow proper social distancing, and still sell weekend day tickets, advance or otherwise. The resorts have no possible way of knowing how many pass holders will show up on any given day without a reservation system. It's going to be a cluster, but I don't think non pass holders are going to get to ski. I suspect most pass holders won't be able to get a weekend reservation most weekends. Long term this could be a giant boon for the big boys. After this season, anyone who wants to ski will buy a pass.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
It seems to me that peak reservation time at Ikon Pass resorts like Jackson (not where Ikon IS the season pass) will only matter for holiday season/weekends. Most people plan their vacations somewhat in advance so if you have an Ikon Pass and want to book a trip to Jackson you will make an advance reservation for skiing and then get lodging and airline tickets. I think it will mostly be a non issue.
There is one caveat with Ikon lift tickets reservations for JH. The general public advance lift ticket sales open on October 5th and Ikon reservation system opens on November 8th. So Ikon pass holders will only be able to reserve their lift tickets a month later after general lift ticket reservations open.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, what does lunch look like in any of the lodges?
According to Squaw's verbiage, they are going to concentrate on restaurants, locker rooms, and other indoor spaces to address social distancing.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I talked to the Copper pass salespeople three times in the last few days, they were using/referring to their own Copper season pass and the Ikon season pass interchangeably, "for now," as both assuring unlimited skiing; also for those booking lodge reservations of various sorts. (The "for now" part only was said when I probed about the future.)

The same goes for Winter Park, for now. Both passes equal, up to now.
But it seems they will be trying to make it without parking reservations or skiing reservations, for as long as that is still possible, stopping only daily walk up ticket sales.

Also, it at least appears that there is no problem with booking a holiday ski vacation in advance, right now, at Copper (including everything needed, ski passes, lodging, parking reservations included, in spite of the pandemic and potential limits on tickets elsewhere. Am I missing something? Please advise.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll probably by wearing my backpack with the hydration reservoir a lot this season and carry food with me, so I don’t have to go into a lodge or make the trek to my vehicle.

Maybe this is the year fanny packs make a comeback.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the best lunch anyway ... avoids crowds, saves money, and you know what's in it!
I have to admit that I have not usually been organized enough to pack a lunch. But on day trips I will often get a breakfast sandwich on the way up to ski, and then ski through lunch.
We're lucky that we have plenty of days where it's pleasant to sit outside to eat.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I talked to the Copper pass salespeople three times in the last few days, they were using/referring to their own Copper season pass and the Ikon season pass interchangeably, "for now," as both assuring unlimited skiing; also for those booking lodge reservations of various sorts. (The "for now" part only was said when I probed about the future.)

But it seems they will be trying to make it without parking reservations or skiing reservations, for as long as that is still possible, stopping only daily walk up ticket sales.

Also, it at least appears that there is no problem with booking a holiday ski vacation in advance, right now, at Copper (including everything needed, ski passes, lodging, parking reservations included, in spite of the pandemic and potential limits on tickets elsewhere. Am I missing something? Please advise.
Yes, that's my understanding regarding Copper based on everything I've read and the state of the resort address Labor Day weekend. I posted a replay of the address somewhere in the Colorado thread. Not sure if it's still active.

The Pres & GM of the resort said that if you are staying at the resort or can get to the resort, you'll be able to ski. They will limit visitors by limiting day parking as necessary. Most properties have a parking space, so if you book lodging, you'll be able to ski. You don't need to book through the resort, could be vrbo or any of the many management companies. Confirm, of course.

This seems like one of the better bets for access to skiing this season. I checked the master plan and the lodging capacity at the relatively small village at Copper is only a third of the lift capacity, and that was before the recent lift upgrades and addition. So, they should be able to scale back enormously, if necessary, by shutting down parking completely, short of a complete shutdown.

At least that's what I'm counting on. I've pulled our place out of the rental pool to keep it available for the parking and to keep the virus out, and to use for a change of scenery for COVID school. I bet other owners are doing the same.

Summit County is also recommending that properties sit empty for a night between guests. Copper is doing that with the properties they manage. Not sure about the other management companies. It seems like between reduced supply and increased demand, it will be worth getting reservations sooner than later.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for WP, I just don't see how they'll be able to pull it off without reservations on weekends and peak times. They'll just blame it on the governor when the public health order enviably comes out covering skiing.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As for WP, I just don't see how they'll be able to pull it off without reservations on weekends and peak times. They'll just blame it on the governor when the public health order enviably comes out covering skiing.

What about Eldora and their well known parking issues? Boulder County is certainly thinking about it and they seem to be giving the appearance that they are encouraging car pooling.

As part of a multi-part solution to tackle traffic congestion, Boulder County has required Eldora to institute a $10 parking fee for single-occupancy vehicles (SOVs) arriving at Eldora on weekends and holidays, as well as weekdays that see 10 or more inches of new snow.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online