• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon/Alterra 20/21 COVID Operations Plan?

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, I looked around and can’t seem to find anything about how Ikon resorts will adjust their operations for COVID this season...am I missing it?

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I actually emailed Ikon yesterday and asked. Got a response back quicker than what I thought. She basically said it's up to each resort to set their guidelines. My thought, okay well when will they.

That makes sense for IKON's partner resorts, but I would be fairly surprised if Alterra didn't come out with some sort of unified COVID operating plan for the resorts that they own and operate like Vail did.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
so I thought I would ask WP since we have done the holiday trip for 15 years.

Attachments

• IMG_1350.PNG
    IMG_1350.PNG
    496.7 KB · Views: 84

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems unlikely that any major resort would be able to effectively manage lift lines without reservations. Indoor spaces also seem like a challenge. I'd much rather ski half the days than wait twice as long in lift lines, given the choice. The reverse just means I have to spend twice as much time driving for the same amount of skiing.

How are the crowds normally at Winter Park?

It does occur to me that, if we were talking about Kirkwood, for instance, I'd probably be better off without reservations. I'm more than happy to spend all day on The Wall, but that's a somewhat unusual situation with an expert lift that frequently has literally no one in the corral. Don't think I'd dare venture over to Lift 4 under those circumstances, though.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a discussion with someone at a pretty high level in ski resort management.
The thought was that Skico/IKON/Alterra will be making an announcement soon, but that we should expect different protocols for different areas because everything is going to be different for the unique locations.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
So Copper and Eldora are doing parking reservations. My issue with that is it encourages car pooling or riding the public bus, which doesn’t seem like the right thing to be doing now. I could see a bunch of friends in Frisco or Boulder or wherever all squeezing into a car to park. Multiply that and suddenly you have more people on the mountain than expected and people squeezed in a car who might be spreading the virus to one another and later to others.

And Eldora, most skiers ski for a part of the day. What happens when half the cars leave at noon...are they not going to allow for the vacancies to be filled? Maybe there will be a stand by list LOL?

The other thing is whether Ikoners will be required to have reservations, but not mountain pass holders, like A-Basin. So many questions and no answers from Ikon.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The other side of the reservation questions are "how far out will a pass holder be able to make a reservation and for how many days?"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The other thing is whether Ikoners will be required to have reservations, but not mountain pass holders, like A-Basin. So many questions and no answers from Ikon.
This is not known at this time.
We don't know what A-Basin will do for IKONers.

From the blog two days ago.

-Reservations will not be required for Arapahoe Basin Season Pass and Any Day Pass holders. The number of passes sold will be limited.

-Ikon and Mountain Collective Pass holders are welcome and are encouraged to ski and ride A-Basin. Access details are still to be determined.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So Copper and Eldora are doing parking reservations. My issue with that is it encourages car pooling or riding the public bus, which doesn’t seem like the right thing to be doing now. I could see a bunch of friends in Frisco or Boulder or wherever all squeezing into a car to park. Multiply that and suddenly you have more people on the mountain than expected and people squeezed in a car who might be spreading the virus to one another and later to others.

And Eldora, most skiers ski for a part of the day. What happens when half the cars leave at noon...are they not going to allow for the vacancies to be filled? Maybe there will be a stand by list LOL?

As for the Copper and Eldora parking reservations, it sounds like Ikon pass holders will be treated the same as pass holders to the areas themselves. That's based on what the areas published and the Copper state of the resort address last weekend.

That also makes sense financially for the resorts, as they get incremental revenue from each Ikon visitor but not from their season pass holders.

As for the busses, I read the Summit Stage will be limited to 50% capacity. Not sure about RTD to Eldora. It seems likey it will tough to get on a bus on days that parking reservations are unavailable. But, maybe you can park at the Frisco transfer station later in the day and get to Copper on the bus?

I'm not sure carpooling will change things too much, as my observation is people are generally either being safe or not. I doubt many who are being safe will take the additional risk just for a ski area parking spot? CU Boulder kids are going to be carpooling and doing what they do regardless.

We have much still to learn about the details, and how things play out in reality.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Speculation can be found on social media but that's all it is, speculation. An alleged employee posted to "check your in box on Monday" but someone pinged me a little bit ago and said it has been taken down. Also, keep in mind when talking about A Basin and Copper they are only partner resorts. They may have some leeway. I mean A Basin has made a statement about access that did not included Ikon.

I think the best one I've read yet is if you declared a home mountain then you will get an email about that specific place. If you didn't declare well you might be getting a lot of emails. :ogbiggrin:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At approximately 23:00 in the following video, Rusty Gregory from Alterra says there will be an announcement on Monday (the 14th) with info on Alterra plans but that resort specific information will follow in the weeks ahead.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The YMCA pool is open by reservation for a lane. It is horrible and not working. We have gotten 3 swims in the last 2 months. Pool usage is way down in both hours offered and number of swimmers. We feel cheated on our membership and extremely frustrated - along with being weak and flabby. Everybody else has the same complaints (or more). The reservation policy is not working.

This is a stilted response based on corporate timidity and government edicts. No real technical support of the requirements or policy. It feels like we are being discouraged from the activities. Activities that are important for our health and well-being.

I hope Icon (Alterra) gives us as much access to the mountains as they possibly can.

Eric

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The YMCA pool is open by reservation for a lane. It is horrible and not working. We have gotten 3 swims in the last 2 months. Pool usage is way down in both hours offered and number of swimmers. We feel cheated on our membership and extremely frustrated - along with being weak and flabby. Everybody else has the same complaints (or more). The reservation policy is not working.

This is a stilted response based on corporate timidity and government edicts. No real technical support of the requirements or policy. It feels like we are being discouraged from the activities. Activities that are important for our health and well-being.

I hope Icon (Alterra) gives us as much access to the mountains as they possibly can.

Eric

My hope is they balance, in a realistic way, access and safety. That they take care of their charges, their guests, in a competent way, with a light but practical touch, not stifling or rationalizing - so that we don't have to fend for ourselves up there, everywhere, so to speak. Worry-free, restful. Fun.

At various times, for various reasons, it has been possible to maximize and concentrate real competency and goodwill in many forms of human endeavor, organization: enterprises, government, businesses, charity, and so on. Camelot. And the reverse has been true even more, sadly.

Thank God for Nature, God's country - places people can't easily squander or fence off, like mountains, rivers and oceans. Skiing. Kayaking. Surfing. Hiking. Year around.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Reservations for IKON.

Sponsor

Staff online