• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ikon/Alterra 20/21 COVID Operations Plan?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do know I've been to that other Alterra destination, Copper Mtn., twice this summer, scouting and hiking. And the second time, just this week, things had improved markedly - organization details more worked out, more employees starting to be informed, better signage and more spaces roped off in well thought out ways; and more uniform masks and distancing practices.. Glad I went back.
So, Copper Mountain is not an Alterra resort. Copper is owned by POWDR as is Eldora and numerous other resorts across the country you can see on their website. Their resorts are IKON partners, but not operated by Alterra so expect their operations to be different than Alterran owned resorts like Steamboat and Winter Park.

Copper may allow loading unrelated platies on each end of a quad or six-pack, but not filling it as Alterra stated. Here's what Copper said about loading lifts in their winter operations update:
Lifts – Physical distancing in lift queues occurs organically due to the length of skis and snowboards and guests will notice additional spacing measures, including extended maze designs, more lateral spacing and increased signage, to further ensure a consistent flow of appropriately spaced traffic. Guests will self-group and load chairlifts and gondolas with their traveling party. Lift attendants will not require guests to ride a chairlift with people they do not know. High capacity chairlifts and closed cabin carriers may be the exception, and may be loaded in a way that allows for physical distancing.
Other POWDR owned resorts I've looked a use the same language.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
“We’re becoming more convinced, based on the data that we see and the scientific evidence that we’re collecting, that with a mask, people loading together is likely sufficient mitigation to reduce contagion to an acceptable level,” Gregory said. “That’s the direction we’re headed. That would allow people who don’t know each other, who aren’t family members or part of the same cohort, to occupy the same lift for two reasons: the masks, and the very short duration of chairlift rides.

Alterra may feel it can avoid a reservation system if they can force guests to ride lifts at full capacity...
I would guess that this is probably safer than eating at many outdoor patios where everyone has their masks off and sit for at least an hour. I would prefer that lifts not be packed full, but at least with everyone wearing masks there will be some mitigation.

I plan to make more turns and savor each run.

That's my plan too. I also will stop and appreciate the views more. It's been too long since the end of last season.

And we've all been on stalled lifts because of mechanical issues or skier loading injury... these have always been inconvenient, but could be scary if you're sitting stationary for a prolonged period of time, wedged between strangers

Particularly if you end up on a chair with someone who feels the need to rip the mask off because they can't handle it for more than 10 minutes at a time. We have been readying our house for sale. Every worker has shown up wearing a mask, but a few have dropped it below the nose or chin after just a few minutes. I just ask them to put it back on. I will do the same on chairlifts if necessary.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skiing is a net benefit for your health - even factoring in Covid. Hopefully Alterra will open as much as they can. Hopefully we will get to ski a lot. Our health depends on it!

San Diego's beaches get an order of magnitude more visitors per prime summer day day as a ski resort's peak number(*). I was stuck in traffic jams in and out of the beach (even this summer) that dwarfed ski traffic. I saw people crowd the boardwalk and sand without masks, crowd the shops and bathrooms with masks and appropriately use masks in the (mostly outdoor) restaurants and bars. Outbreaks traced to the beach are minimal (beach zip codes don't make the list in the county (**) ). The outbreaks here are tied to households including college dorms, restaurants and bars and other settings (*3) - things that happen in any community whether it is a resort destination or not.

Doing a little math, an infection rate of 10 per 100,000 (California's below that threshold (*4)), you would expect one infection out of a skiing crowd of 10,000 (a busy day at Squaw which I see happening about 10 times a season). If the average age of infection is 50, 8% might need hospitalization - but the average age of infection is dropping so the hospitalization rate is closer to 5% for the under 50 crowd (*5) - you might see one hospitalization of someone who visited Squaw during the whole season and very likely no deaths from infections acquired while skiing.

There are a few skier deaths at resorts every year. Squaw (and Alpine) have had their share in recent years. So skiing is not a zero risk sport. Any covid risks are hidden well below other risks that affect us as skiers (or the resort's exposure to liability). Looking at things differently, there are around 38 skier fatalities out of 53 million visits each year (*6). Assuming the pool of 53 million skiers in California's covid risk level of 10 per 100,000 (*4) and the fatality rate of 1.4% (*5) and pulling out the comorbidity factor (88% had two cormibidties (*7) - two comorbidities will probably prevent most people from skiing so excluding them from a ski resort analysis is reasonable), you would expect about 9 deaths in that large of a group from covid. That's a lot less than the background risk.

I do worry about the workers. Living conditions are tough in the mountains for workers and they resemble the college kids in behavior. So there could be a spike early season similar to what happened in the college dorms. Hopefully any effect will have passed by the time the snow gets good. The WROD is looking less inviting.

I used California's rate of infection because I live here and ski Squaw. It is an overestimation for Squaw (no current cases! (*4)) and San Diego but we could get higher with time. Utah and Wisconsin are about 3 times worse so numbers at other resorts might be different. But the risk from covid will still be quite small to each of us individually while skiing. Obviously, the infection rates depend on reasonable behavior currently in place - hand washing, avoiding crowds in close contact, not working or skiing when sick, resort and restaurant hygiene, appropriate mask usage, etc. And living a good lifestyle while staying fit!

There is a realistic possibility for a full safe season. Lets encourage that to happen and enjoy the snow days!

Eric

(*) https://traveltips.usatoday.com/busiest-weekend-san-diego-beaches-17066.html https://www.kpbs.org/news/2016/may/31/san-diego-beaches-busy-despite-cool-weather/

(**) https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/jul/27/san-diego-county-covid-deaths-zip-code-disparity/

(*3) https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/sep/24/coronavirus-san-diego-live-updates-covid-19/

(*4) https://www.npr.org/sections/health...king-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

(*5) https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...th-with-covid-19-rise-steadily-with-age-study

(*6) https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/02/13/how-many-people-die-skiing/

(*7) https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/health/coronavirus-patients-risk.html

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Skiing is a net benefit for your health - even factoring in Covid. Hopefully Alterra will open as much as they can. Hopefully we will get to ski a lot. Our health depends on it!

San Diego's beaches get an order of magnitude more visitors per prime summer day day as a ski resort's peak number(*). I was stuck in traffic jams in and out of the beach (even this summer) that dwarfed ski traffic. I saw people crowd the boardwalk and sand without masks, crowd the shops and bathrooms with masks and appropriately use masks in the (mostly outdoor) restaurants and bars. Outbreaks traced to the beach are minimal (beach zip codes don't make the list in the county (**) ). The outbreaks here are tied to households including college dorms, restaurants and bars and other settings (*3) - things that happen in any community whether it is a resort destination or not.

Doing a little math, an infection rate of 10 per 100,000 (California's below that threshold (*4)), you would expect one infection out of a skiing crowd of 10,000 (a busy day at Squaw which I see happening about 10 times a season). If the average age of infection is 50, 8% might need hospitalization - but the average age of infection is dropping so the hospitalization rate is closer to 5% for the under 50 crowd (*5) - you might see one hospitalization of someone who visited Squaw during the whole season and very likely no deaths from infections acquired while skiing.

There are a few skier deaths at resorts every year. Squaw (and Alpine) have had their share in recent years. So skiing is not a zero risk sport. Any covid risks are hidden well below other risks that affect us as skiers (or the resort's exposure to liability). Looking at things differently, there are around 38 skier fatalities out of 53 million visits each year (*6). Assuming the pool of 53 million skiers in California's covid risk level of 10 per 100,000 (*4) and the fatality rate of 1.4% (*5) and pulling out the comorbidity factor (88% had two cormibidties (*7) - two comorbidities will probably prevent most people from skiing so excluding them from a ski resort analysis is reasonable), you would expect about 9 deaths in that large of a group from covid. That's a lot less than the background risk.

I do worry about the workers. Living conditions are tough in the mountains for workers and they resemble the college kids in behavior. So there could be a spike early season similar to what happened in the college dorms. Hopefully any effect will have passed by the time the snow gets good. The WROD is looking less inviting.

I used California's rate of infection because I live here and ski Squaw. It is an overestimation for Squaw (no current cases! (*4)) and San Diego but we could get higher with time. Utah and Wisconsin are about 3 times worse so numbers at other resorts might be different. But the risk from covid will still be quite small to each of us individually while skiing. Obviously, the infection rates depend on reasonable behavior currently in place - hand washing, avoiding crowds in close contact, not working or skiing when sick, resort and restaurant hygiene, appropriate mask usage, etc. And living a good lifestyle while staying fit!

There is a realistic possibility for a full safe season. Lets encourage that to happen and enjoy the snow days!

Eric

(*) https://traveltips.usatoday.com/busiest-weekend-san-diego-beaches-17066.html https://www.kpbs.org/news/2016/may/31/san-diego-beaches-busy-despite-cool-weather/

(**) https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/jul/27/san-diego-county-covid-deaths-zip-code-disparity/

(*3) https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/sep/24/coronavirus-san-diego-live-updates-covid-19/

(*4) https://www.npr.org/sections/health...king-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s

(*5) https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...th-with-covid-19-rise-steadily-with-age-study

(*6) https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/02/13/how-many-people-die-skiing/

(*7) https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/health/coronavirus-patients-risk.html
The main thing I would challenge with your analysis is the premise that people with two of more co-morbidities don’t ski. I am sure there are plenty here and on the mountain that have two of the following: obesity, hypertension, diabetes, asthma/COPD, etc.

dcs24

a day on the slopes beats a day in the office
Skier

Interesting way to this about this, but I'm not sure how robust these assumptions are.

First, your assumption regarding the infection rate is based on the rate today vs in the winter, when it will likely be higher again, and it could be much higher. In my home (Washoe county), where a lot of Tahoe day skiers originate, the number of cases has been rising significantly -- from 15 to 20 per 100k just over the past couple weeks. Apparently this is the result of kids going back to school and folks generally spending more time indoors, which aren't factors that will be going away anytime soon.

Second, we're just talking about daily confirmed infection rates. We know that lots of people are asymptomatic carriers, and can infect other people, but never get tested and never know they have it. Or they could have mild symptoms and just not bother to go in for a COVID test. Someone in either situation could put you at risk if you're sitting next to them on a chairlift, but they'd never be counted in the daily COVID stats. And because those numbers are daily rates, but people are are contagious for many days, we should multiply the 10 (or 25, or 50) per 100k by the whatever number of days people are contagious.

If we assume that by midwinter the recorded daily rate of COVID infections rises to 50 per 100k, half of skiers are asymptomatic and/or unrecorded, and people on average are contagious for 5 days -- none of which seems particularly aggressive to me -- then you'd be at a number 50 times higher than your original estimate. In terms of serious illness and death rates, really hard to say but the definitions for comorbitiies are so broad that many skiers likely check off one or two of those boxes.

Not saying all of this is accurate but hopefully it illustrates how hard it is to really anticipate and model the risk.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The problem with taking statewide stats to estimate probabilities is the number of confounding variables. Ski resorts aren't like average communities because they draw in people from all over on a daily basis.

And the rest sounds like gambling maths. The average payout on a roulette wheel is only a mild advantage to the house but when the individual (or individual resort) loses a spin it loses big.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The main thing I would challenge with your analysis is the premise that people with two of more co-morbidities don’t ski. I am sure there are plenty here and on the mountain that have two of the following: obesity, hypertension, diabetes, asthma/COPD, etc.

Don't forget age (said the geezer).

And as much as I want to ski, I've never done it for the health "benefits". I do it because it's fun and there's lots of pretty scenery (and, if I'm honest, the thrill of danger). There are far more beneficial activities, health-wise than skiing, and they're a lot cheaper, but they're no where near as much fun. I personally feel we need all the fun we can get, especially in these trying times, but this would seem to indicate that the health benefit of skiing is primarily psychological - no small thing but not difficult to find almost anywhere.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem with taking statewide stats to estimate probabilities is the number of confounding variables. Ski resorts aren't like average communities because they draw in people from all over on a daily basis.

And the rest sounds like gambling maths. The average payout on a roulette wheel is only a mild advantage to the house but when the individual (or individual resort) loses a spin it loses big.
This is so sensible. Actually grounded.

Stats can be used to justify anything, if they are not grounded. Fun & games for the debating club. (It's the intentions behind them that matter, often.)

In this case, different questionable assumptions, different questionable methods and stats, different weaknesses to each.

Separate from the reservation system, Vail Resorts is also taking a more conservative approach with lift capacity. Specifically, unless two singles are riding on opposites ends of a quad or larger, only related parties will be loaded. Alterra resorts generally don't seem to plan to limit lift capacity at all, and this apparently comes from the top per this quote from Rusty Gregory:

“We’re becoming more convinced, based on the data that we see and the scientific evidence that we’re collecting, that with a mask, people loading together is likely sufficient mitigation to reduce contagion to an acceptable level,” Gregory said. “That’s the direction we’re headed. That would allow people who don’t know each other, who aren’t family members or part of the same cohort, to occupy the same lift for two reasons: the masks, and the very short duration of chairlift rides. And, the fact that it’s out in the environment and the wind that’s inherent to a lift that’s moving, even on a calm day.”

Alterra may feel it can avoid a reservation system if they can force guests to ride lifts at full capacity...

Or force skiers into a bit closer to full capacity, if they figure out how to put strangers on the same chairs with only some distancing, fairly close, cumulatively lots of hours - if they fudge on even six foot distancing in those confined situations.

So, I agree. We will have to see how the details pan out.
But a lot of "ifs" still, eh?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The massive crowds on top of normal usage I observed at Mission Beach have not spawned outbreaks of covid. It is a larger scale model of ski resort visitation. I tried to use available facts and math to understand this. We actually now do know a fair amount about the virus. I am quite comforted by the results of my analysis.

@Jwrags While there are certainly some people with severe chronic comorbidities who ski, the vast majority of skiers I have observed don't have these problems. The line at KT or Headwall is filled with ripped human specimens. Blue square Shirley is dominated by healthy skiers. Even the après scene is full of young athletes. A very different physical demographic from Disney patrons (and Disney World is operating and still fun - my brother had a great time there a couple weeks ago - but that is a different model). My bulk analysis suggesting that skiing is safe is reasonable and I'll stand by that (backed up by my Icon pass purchase).

@Paul Lutes Perhaps I don't ski for health but I do work off slope to stay in shape so my days of raw pleasure in the powder or bumps are available. I personally was shocked by what happened to me in the lockdown - a massive loss of muscle mass and flexibility that I haven't gotten back yet. No doubt that having an athletic passion makes one healthier.

And age is not a listed comorbidity. While there are a lot of older skiers on the hill, I certainly see a majority of younger people out skiing. Of course, the asymptomatic superspreaders are more likely to be young (maybe - today's print (so no reference) paper had an article that 8% of dialysis patients (typically an older population) had SARS-Cov-2 antibodies suggesting that there were lots of hidden infections (note that the article's focus was on the lack of herd immunity).

@dcs24 Interesting point. If I'm off by a factor of 50, wouldn't that suggest that the virus is less dangerous by a factor of 50 as well? Actually, I agree with your numbers emotionally - I'd love it if the disease has been 50 times more widespread because the consequences are fixed so my personal risk would be 50 times less. This is speculation. Hospitalizations and deaths are the known and relevant facts. Because I'm basing my numbers on observed effects, I would expect not to see any difference in the effects on the health of the skier population. I can only post based on facts I can verify.

I do worry that some of the changes in resort procedures will just be to appease governments and comfort terrified skiers. Too much of that will ruin the skiing experience. I certainly hope imposed restrictions are kept to a minimum.

The snow, the skiing fundamentals and the visceral fun is still there. The mountains are still there too. Looking forward to a fun ski season.

Eric

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The massive crowds on top of normal usage I observed at Mission Beach have not spawned outbreaks of covid. It is a larger scale model of ski resort visitation. I tried to use available facts and math to understand this. We actually now do know a fair amount about the virus. I am quite comforted by the results of my analysis.

@Jwrags While there are certainly some people with severe chronic comorbidities who ski, the vast majority of skiers I have observed don't have these problems. The line at KT or Headwall is filled with ripped human specimens. Blue square Shirley is dominated by healthy skiers. Even the après scene is full of young athletes. A very different physical demographic from Disney patrons (and Disney World is operating and still fun - my brother had a great time there a couple weeks ago - but that is a different model). My bulk analysis suggesting that skiing is safe is reasonable and I'll stand by that (backed up by my Icon pass purchase).

@Paul Lutes Perhaps I don't ski for health but I do work off slope to stay in shape so my days of raw pleasure in the powder or bumps are available. I personally was shocked by what happened to me in the lockdown - a massive loss of muscle mass and flexibility that I haven't gotten back yet. No doubt that having an athletic passion makes one healthier.

And age is not a listed comorbidity. While there are a lot of older skiers on the hill, I certainly see a majority of younger people out skiing. Of course, the asymptomatic superspreaders are more likely to be young (maybe - today's print (so no reference) paper had an article that 8% of dialysis patients (typically an older population) had SARS-Cov-2 antibodies suggesting that there were lots of hidden infections (note that the article's focus was on the lack of herd immunity).

@dcs24 Interesting point. If I'm off by a factor of 50, wouldn't that suggest that the virus is less dangerous by a factor of 50 as well? Actually, I agree with your numbers emotionally - I'd love it if the disease has been 50 times more widespread because the consequences are fixed so my personal risk would be 50 times less. This is speculation. Hospitalizations and deaths are the known and relevant facts. Because I'm basing my numbers on observed effects, I would expect not to see any difference in the effects on the health of the skier population. I can only post based on facts I can verify.

I do worry that some of the changes in resort procedures will just be to appease governments and comfort terrified skiers. Too much of that will ruin the skiing experience. I certainly hope imposed restrictions are kept to a minimum.

The snow, the skiing fundamentals and the visceral fun is still there. The mountains are still there too. Looking forward to a fun ski season.

Eric

And I look forward to you being able once again to be mostly putting out great posts like this instead of Covid stuff: ogsmile

"I just spent a bunch of laps on the 18-19 SX Turtle Shell and AX Turtle Shell "Comfort" here in Vermont on some superb carving surfaces and mixed-fresh snow surfaces. In my book, the hot-rod SX is one of the reference standard race-carvers on the planet. Just a superbly balanced blend of auto-engagement, turn shape, power handling, dampness, energy and feedback to make any technical skier become hopelessly addicted. Simply put, the SX is stunning carving instrument of the highest quality when you don't want to drive an SL-only race ski all day. This is a ripping frontside trench-digger with impeccable manners and limitless power handling. When you want to remember what a best-of-breed carving ski feels like, put the SX underfoot. While I love the Head i-series of carvers, I think the Stockl series is just a notch above.

The AX model with "Turtle Shell Comfort" feature has just a wee-hint of tip rocker and different geometry to deliver a ride nearly as intensely satisfying as the SX, but in a more forgiving and adaptable chassis. The AX trades off a bit of carving intensity and surgical accuracy for a slightly looser and forgiving turn engagement up front and an ever-so-slightly less-intensive mid-turn edge-set feeling. The AX does not demand the same level of attention the SX does when you exit your turn under pressure, letting you get a little more relaxed after your apex (if you want). Overall, the AX is more forgiving if you find some fresh snow or cut-up snow on your groomers, but you still wouldn't call the AX an "all-mountain" ski. I think both the SX and AX are groomer-only power carving tools of the highest order, with the purists and SL addicts being suited to the SX, and those with more varied turn radius habits leaning toward the AX.

Both are stunning examples of the same carving prowess in different intensities and levels of forgiveness. The designers at Stöckli know this breed of ski perfectly and delivered two models with just enough difference to suit the picky technical carving geeks who crave race-ski performance of the highest quality without the restrictions pure race skis exhibit. I loved these two skis. Great performance and stunning material and construction quality. Premium skis at a premium price." - Eric

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Yes, you are correct: technically age is a risk factor, not a co-morbidity, however the different paths still lead to a significant increase in the chance of severe covid complications, including death, so all things considered, I'd rather be young ;)

TS
Chickenmonkey

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So how is everyone choosing their assurance plan? If you ski 90% at your home mountain then home mountain, otherwise all?

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm expecting to ski 100% at my home mountain this year. I don't have plans to travel. So it was a no brainer for me to pick that as my single location.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
we are planning on 3 trips and two of them paid for. wp late December and flying to Steamboat first week of February and a early April trip back to wp. The first two are ski in ski out so we will see.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So how is everyone choosing their assurance plan? If you ski 90% at your home mountain then home mountain, otherwise all?
Some discussion here if you want to go down the rabbit hole to analyze strategies and optimize.

If you don't want to go down the rabbithole and just want advice and can't decide, you should still pick 1 resort.
Presumably if you don't have a home mountain, you at least have made some plans; and so should utilize this "free" insurance as protection of your biggest/most important trip. If you need a 2nd tiebreaker between 2 trips that are exactly equal; pick the destination of the trip that will happen first.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
San Diego's beaches get an order of magnitude more visitors per prime summer day day as a ski resort's peak number(*). I was stuck in traffic jams in and out of the beach (even this summer) that dwarfed ski traffic

Isn't most of CA remote k-12 while the rest of the county is at least hybrid? I agree to a point as it relates to skiing and won't bother looking up stats but lol the Night Owl is still kicking. We are 25 miles from Boston. Kids are hybrid beaches were busy. People wear masks in stores or with clients thats about it.

TS
Chickenmonkey

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some discussion here if you want to go down the rabbit hole to analyze strategies and optimize.

If you don't want to go down the rabbithole and just want advice and can't decide, you should still pick 1 resort.
Presumably if you don't have a home mountain, you at least have made some plans; and so should utilize this "free" insurance as protection of your biggest/most important trip. If you need a 2nd tiebreaker between 2 trips that are exactly equal; pick the destination of the trip that will happen first.

Thanks for the cliff notes...I was looking for that thread and couldn’t find it. Now the wrinkle. Our son goes to CU Boulder, Should we preference Eldora for him or stick with Alpine/resort to be named later?

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid