• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
tt

Accck . . . words. Yes. Would be so much easier to demonstrate on snow.

I think you've got a pretty good idea of what I'm trying to describe. There is some displacement of the ski away from the body, but not in the first half. The concept behind it is to use aggressive inside leg flexion coupled with CoM movement downslope to flatten/release the skis so that the whole first half of the turn - from skis across the slope to skis facing directly downhill - is over very quickly and in a short distance. So there is very little time to pick up speed before we begin the edgier, steered finish. When executed and linked properly, it's very fluid and is effective for managing the descent of steep slopes particularly in narrow sections.

I understand the approach of managing speed throughout the turn, including the top half. I use that technique as well. That rounder, edgier top half, however, seems to me to add MORE speed because we get to our edges that much earlier in the turn. And edges are fast - even when we are using them to steer the ski quickly back across the fall line. The skis are moving more quickly and the forces are trickier to manage, IMO. Anyway - at this point, both of these turns are in my repertoire. But my choices about when and where to use them might be different from where you might.

Lastly - I love love love your question that made you unpopular in clinics!!!
I like your description of the short turn. I would also add a string feet pullback to shorten the turn radius even more.

I use this in moderately steel narrow couloirs. But anything stepper than 40 some degrees, I resort to jump turns to minimize time in the fall line.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I think after practicing Propulsion

I think it was last week, Marcus Caston uploaded this "story" on Instagram. I immediately thought of you, Alexz. Not knowing how to copy the link to an Insty story, I videoed the video. Here it is,

I took the liberty of adding the music. Watch the guy in white. My suggestion is, with the season upon some of us and soon to start for me and others, practice propulsion on a shallow slope, one on which you will stall if you have no propulsion.

I recall one of your videos. In that particular one, I think you might think you are feeling "propulsion". But, you're just feeling g's from a turn. To really propel, ya gotta really put energy into the turn, more than just what gravity gives you. Watch the stroke of just one leg. See the rolling from outside edge to inside edge and even "falling" onto the new edge. Our "falling" onto the new edge is our COM going from uphill of the ski to downhill of the ski. And, watch a skater's hip go between external rotation and internal rotation; more propulsion.

On a smartphone, best to view video in landscape orientation.

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
So, I mentioned going between external and internal rotation. I happen to have a left hip injury that has affected my skiing dramatically. On steeps, if there are bumps or or ruts that require good left footer reflex and balance, I lose it. Same for harder bumps in shallower terrain.

My PT says I have injured rotators. She's been working on stretching them and other muscles. Only now getting into a couple focused strengthening exercises. Definitely left side rotation is weak, amongst other things. That propulsion I'm referring to, it can also be propelling you forward and down the hill. And, my incapacity in rotating-to-propel, I think, is one of my problems.

So, what's my point. If one's rotation abilities are poor, that will make it hard to get on edge very early in the turn, with propulsion. For myself, I've been YouTubing internal rotation exercises and I came across this one. Why do I think it is a good one? Because, I have a strong right hip and a weak left hip. There is significant assymetry when I try doing their isometrics. Give it a try. I think that increasing one's rotational range and strength will help one develop propulsive capabilities, enabling better skiing.

A good illustration of the use of hip rotation can be seen at 2:43 of the OP video here,

https://www.pugski.com/threads/japan-chile-2017.9079/#post-220872

The slo-mo is nice. Again, as with the rollerblader referenced in previous post, focus on one leg. See the wiper motion of the leg? See what happens to the skis? See what's not happening with the upper body that's above the hinge called a hip? Thank you @jimtransition.

Last edited:
TS
alexz

alexz

preparing for the last certif exam
Skier
So, I mentioned going between external and internal rotation. I happen to have a left hip injury that has affected my skiing dramatically. On steeps, if there are bumps or or ruts that require good left footer reflex and balance, I lose it. Same for harder bumps in shallower terrain.... If one's rotation abilities are poor, that will make it hard to get on edge very early in the turn, with propulsion. For myself, I've been YouTubing internal rotation exercises and I came across this one. Why do I think it is a good one? Because, I have a strong right hip and a weak left hip. There is significant assymetry when I try doing their isometrics. Give it a try. I think that increasing one's rotational range and strength will help one develop propulsive capabilities, enabling better skiing.

A good illustration of the use of hip rotation can be seen at 2:43 of the OP video here,

https://www.pugski.com/threads/japan-chile-2017.9079/#post-220872

The slo-mo is nice. Again, as with the rollerblader referenced in previous post, focus on one leg. See the wiper motion of the leg? See what happens to the skis? See what's not happening with the upper body that's above the hinge called a hip? Thank you @jimtransition.

Thanks, interesting video. Also I found , a bit different.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Also I found

Nice. That sitting mobilization, I dont come close to touching the floor with my knees; I get maybe half way. The strengthening exercise is one that my PT gave me. I’m going to work on increasing range, but I can assure you that full range is not needed. My half-way rotation works, even when laying skis way up on edge, which is more angulation than rotation. The rotational strengthening is definitely needed to propel, and for balance. It’s the lack of strength on one side that is causing me problems.

So, if getting on edge is about angulation (and articulation of all joints), why spend time on rotation? Hip Rotation, I think is a critical element of propulsion. Used for steering skis too, along with feet. But using rotation for propulsion is different. It couples rotation with being on edge early. There is a kinesthetic feedback loop. You know you’ve got it when you have it, and having it means you got up on edge early as well. The rollerblader has it. Oh, and ya can’t be aft to propel either.

Edit: That part in the video you linked about not lifting the pelvis, such an important point of the stretches, exercises, mobilization development and strengthening; so important for skiing, the Independence of hip rotation and pelvis. Liking the video again

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I think that's called skating. Alberto Tomba purportedly said, when a reporter inquired to how he managed to beat his competitors by 2.5 seconds, something like: "I made three good turns -- everyone else only made two." That parallel slalom win shows the impact of making mistakes. Mikeala is just so much better than everyone else that she can recover from a couple of major mistakes, ski a more direct line, and skate hard to win. And Petra's mistakes, while not as major as Mikeala's, where more numerous and late.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January