• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How has the EPIC and/or IKON Pass affected you?

How has the EPIC and/or IKON affected you?

• Total voters

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the Ikon because it had most of the places I go to, and works out cheaper than Mountain Collective. But I did ski several places that were not on it, as well as a lot that were.

I forgot, there was one trip to Loon that I probably would not have made if not for the pass.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Killington season pass/condo so that's where I've skied the past two years. K is a limited Ikon partner, but no reason to purchase the add-on to ski elsewhere at this point. Perhaps in the future when I retire and get more ski days.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is free, if people are wondering and want to go. Or you buy a grandstand ticket. If one wants to see athletes, go to the bib draw fri evening. There’s a band.

Good point. That time of year is usually our first day skiing so I wouldn't bother driving without skiing.

Sugarbushskier

Booting up
Skier
Since I'm retired I struggled to decide between the passes, so ended up buying both Epic Local and Ikon Base.

As a member of a CT ski club we have western trips scheduled so I'm going to earn back ~ 60% of the cost of the passes just on these trips. by not having to purchase lift tix. In addition, our club offers a $50 rebate for each of the passes, so by purchasing early season, plus rebate, plus one trip each out west, I'm thinking I'll be in good shape. Also like variety and get bored skiing the same areas, so I'll be hitting NE areas often (and midweek only).

BTW, new Pugski member and first post!!

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As a member of a CT ski club we have western trips scheduled so I'm going to earn back ~ 60% of the cost of the passes just on these trips. by not having to purchase lift tix. In addition, our club offers a $50 rebate for each of the passes, so by purchasing early season, plus rebate, plus one trip each out west, I'm thinking I'll be in good shape. Also like variety and get bored skiing the same areas, so I'll be hitting NE areas often (and midweek only).

That's awesome. I think this is the first I've heard of a club having a $50 rebate on either pass.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Similar to Marker.....condo at Tremblant. Bought the Ikon base pass. Good thing....season pass went down in price. Like 1/3!! Bad thing... all the Toronto Blue Mountain pass holders now have access to Tremblant on the Ikon pass. Sorry, but I'm not driving 4 hours to ski your ridge. This is the first time I've had a pass I can use somewhere else at the same price. Well with the condo, I didn't and probably won't. But you never know.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I bought my Ikon base pass last season and this season because I want to ski out west at least once and Killington is my "home" mountain. The one thing it did change last season was I actually went to Sugarbush a few times, mainly to save my Killington days. If they made Killington instead of Stratton unlimited on the full pass I would seriously consider the upgrade.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Since Snowbasin has become part of Epic, l now have a Powder Mountain pass.
B4E7EA83-EC78-42B0-996C-1C1314C84457.jpeg
76BB8D23-5685-45D7-916E-395CAB9DA7FD.jpeg

PC: Chris Morgan

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Over the last several years I have settled into a pattern that includes, in descending order of # of days, Snowbird/Alta (~18), Winter Park (~12), Mammoth (~9), Jackson Hole (6) and Park City (4-6). As an outlier, Park City doesn't really factor into this post. I subscribed to the Mountain Collective from year 1 and bought a WP season pass. This past season I bought the full Ikon Pass and a Snowbird (senior) Pass. According to my calculations, that combination saved me about $500 over the Mountain Collective/WP combo. The Ikon Pass has been great for me.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have both along with an independent pass for Mt. Rose.
I was going to say this but Phil beat me to it.
Having both makes it possible for us to cover events at multiple resorts more affordably.
Having the Mt Rose pass just makes sense for us for many other reasons

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Epic/Ikon have helped me rationalize more ski trips. So it's working great for me :)

I haven't bought either pass at this point, but I keep trying to rationalize...if I had it I would take this trip, and that trip, and maybe one more for good measure. Even if the per ski day cost went down, I'm sure my ski budget would need to go up.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
None of the resorts within a 4 hour drive one way participate in either of these or any other legitimate multi resort season pass. One offers a slight discount as part of an indy pass agreement but still not worth the cost versus just buying day tickets in advance online individually. I might move from 5-10 days per season to 10-15 days per season if there were a multi destination pass that included at least 3 of the 5 I tend to drive to..

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I haven't bought either pass at this point, but I keep trying to rationalize...if I had it I would take this trip, and that trip, and maybe one more for good measure. Even if the per ski day cost went down, I'm sure my ski budget would need to go up.

Well I have also bought skis as well after getting a pass a few years back. The epic properties have bought out many of the ski rental shops and the new prices for equipment are getting silly. That is one consequence of getting a pass I did not expect. The other downside is most of the epic properties have generally ridiculous lesson costs. I wouldn't recommend a pass to someone still taking lots of lessons - unless maybe they are local and can get the big bundle deals.

Time will tell if the Ikon resorts follow the same trend regarding lesson and rental $$. My guess is that most will. People forget about the money spent several months ago, so they can rationalize the higher lesson/rental costs incurred on the spot.

If you are renting skis and getting lessons on most of your trips, the economics change quite a bit. It's another factor to consider in the ski budget and whether you want a pass if you ski ~10 days a season.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My home mountain is on the Ikon so it was a no brainer for us. The option was not included in the survey, but we travelled to mountains BECAUSE they were on the pass.

Sponsor

Staff online