• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How has the EPIC and/or IKON Pass affected you?

How has the EPIC and/or IKON affected you?

• Total voters

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The people who think they have more choices with a mega pass are fooling themselves and actually limiting their amount of choices by only considering skiing at mountains on one pass.
I don’t quite get what you’re talking about.

The “limit” of one pass is true only for people who live near one mountain, like you.

The rest of the population can “rotate” between passes. We can even choose not to buy a pass one season, to ski in mountains not on the mega pass. Then back to the mega pass the next.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I'm on IKON this season for several reasons. It gives me a chance to spend a little more time at some areas than the Mountain Collective did when I had that pass. The Salt Lake City area is a good example. With Solitude unlimited (with a few blackout dates) and the balance of the areas there (Alta-bird / Deer Valley & Brighton) one could spend a lot of time there with inexpensive lodging in SLC. IKON may get me to Steamboat this year as it's been on my bucket list for years and of course The Gathering is in Jackson which is still on my "not sure if I can" list. Big Sky isn't out of the running either as we've never been there.

I was on the Epic pass for years. I spent most of my time in Summit and Eagle Counties in CO. There are advantages to staying put at areas you know and love. SugarCube and I have discussed going back to Epic Locals Pass for the 2020-2021 season. I think we are going to see somewhat lighter crowds at the Vail Resorts next season as more people migrate to IKON, and we miss skiing Vail and Breckenridge.

Of course a day ticket trip is always a possibility somewhere as long as there is a senior rate I can take advantage of.

In our situation we have to travel from the middle of the country to get to any significant ski areas. What has become the enemy is lodging and not the passes. In most instances a weeks lodging is equal to or greater than the cost of the season's pass, though there are a few exceptions.

So IKON gives me the mobility to hang for a week at areas I like without a full season there and an Epic pass allows me to ski an area I like for as much as I can get there during the season. Both have advantages.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
The rest of the population can “rotate” between passes. We can even choose not to buy a pass one season, to ski in mountains not on the mega pass. Then back to the mega pass the next.

Or, as I was writing while you were writing....Mega-Pass to rival's Mega-Pass the following season.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The simple solution for diversity would be to alternate years on Ikon and Epic, with a Mountain Collective add-on, all for what a season pass to one place used to cost. How can one go wrong?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
. I will also stop at Whitefish on the way home where it used to be free for super seniors (70+) but is now $25/day or $125 for a season pass.
The pass will be $135. The daily ticket was in a press release.

The pass may be worth it to you as it includes free tickets at some resorts you could hit on your winter travels. https://skiwhitefish.com/perks/

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Less than we expected. Skied Utah last season which I wouldn't have done otherwise. But that didnt turn out so well as I pulled a muscle trying to travel and ski the same day.

We upgraded from Ikon base pass this year because blackout dates make it hard for kids and grandkids...so maybe we will explore more. But the truth was last year we stayed mostly within the old Rocky Mountain Superpass for more cost.

This coming season we may do more Steamboat. We ski Winter Park a lot for family reasons and I am hoping that with A- Basin on the pass it will pull some of the extra crowds back to Summit.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Likely planning on a spring purchase of IKON next April when it goes on sale. Probably just do the base. Mainly after the killington access and Stratton/sugarbush/loon would be gravy. Possibly planning another Banff trip for 20-21 season so there's that too. I'm not dependent on a multi pass to ski so it's truly an optional thing.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug @Tricia Perhaps a new sub-forum should be created for the mega-passes under Resorts and Travel or General Skiing? There could be an evergreen list of all of the various mega-passes (Epic, Ikon, MC, PA, Indy, others?) at the top with links to their sites and current prices to help members and visitors research their options for the coming season. I don't have a mega-pass, but I've followed the developments over the recent seasons and the discussions they have generated here. Mostly to understand where I could consider traveling to for skiing once I retire given that Killington is my "home" mountain.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
This will be the first year with the EPIC Veterans pass. That $529 price is a big savings over the previous years Okemo Ultra pass. This will be year 24 with a season pass.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
This year we have a full Highland Pass, good at all 3 Seven Springs operated resorts in addition to the Ikon. The VR purchase of several PA resorts did not affect my local skiing as they are just outside my drive time comfort zone. In the past we had Mountain Collective passes. We chose the Ikon this year because of the New England options. I always wanted to ski Sugarloaf. I haven't been to Killington in decades, it will be interesting to see how that place has changed. We were reintroduced to Sugarbush with the MC pass and will no doubt hit there again. Those are the 3 big draws but the other NE offerings might get a try out too. Although Stowe and Mad River beckon. Then there is Tremblant. Even though Snowshoe is unlimited on our base pass, I doubt I'll take advantage. It's too far for a day trip and not interesting enough to stay overnight unless there is a reason. (Mid-A gathering perhaps?) The Jackson Hole Gathering is covered and since we will fly into SLC we will take advantage of the offerings there before or after JH. What else we add on will be determined by our bank account as the season progresses.

We had a Mountain Collective pass in the past, We managed to reduce our lift ticket cost to less than $40 per day skiing and gave us skiing options throughout the season. I hope the Ikon turns out to be as much a bargain.