• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How has the EPIC and/or IKON Pass affected you?

How has the EPIC and/or IKON affected you?

• Total voters

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about a poll option: I spent more $$$ on skiing thanks to IKON/EPIC because of the "If you buy it, you must go" narrative? After all, isn't that the design point behind these mega corp. passes.

This is what I've been doing for a number of years now: I buy a local pass to my local bump every year regardless. I'm also a ski destination traveler regardless of deals; I have places I want to go ski and explore, and places I want to return to. I set aside an amount of money each year for skiing. Sometimes I even try to stay within that budget :D. Usually one week long fly to trip a year, some years two. I'll also do some 2-3 day drive to trips as we have a lot of options within a few hours from my home.

Last year I purchased my local pass and the IKON. I went on five week long ski trips ( other than my local daily and 2-3 day drive to other mountains in area ) So, yeah I knowingly and willingly went over budget because of the "If you buy it, you must go" narrative. But I had a great time :D Not sure what I'll do this year.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I spent more $$$ on skiing thanks to IKON/EPIC because of the "If you buy it, you must go" narrative? After all, isn't that the design point behind these mega corp. passes.
Many believe IKON/EPIC operates more on the “gym model”, which is more “we got you money already, couldn’t care less whether you come or not”. ;)

I skied a lot more last year. But that’s largely due to having more vacation and flexible work schedules. I did much of my skiing in the IKON mountains. But I can’t say they got much additional $$ out of me beyond the pass itself.

I didn’t stay on mountain — actually that’s partially due to “overcrowding” as I didn’t find any availability in mountains I wish to stay slope side. Though to be fair, most of the time I prefer to stay off-site.

I didn’t do ANY lesson nor ski rental

I ate on mountain only occasionally. And even then, it’s typically only a soup. I even brought my own chocolate powder!

One thing no one seems to mention is, I more or less “forced” my friends to ski at IKON mountains! So Alterra got the extra pass money from my companions! Partly, that’s because the IKON’s “buddy pass” was cheaper then the EPIC one. AND, as most IKON mountains are independently own, there’re still discount tickets they can get online, whilst most VAIL own mountains has zero discount options.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many believe IKON/EPIC operates more on the “gym model”, which is more “we got you money already, couldn’t care less whether you come or not”. ;)

That is true statement for season passes in general, esp. local only or indi ski area passes these days. For IKON, and specifically the partner resorts that allow 5 or 7 days, they deeply discount the lift ticket in some profit sharing scheme with Altera in hopes that you will spend money at their resort in lodging and food and beverages. For me, I spent a lot more last season on air fare, lodging, food, and sometimes rental car.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
For IKON, and specifically the partner resorts that allow 5 or 7 days, they deeply discount the lift ticket in some profit sharing scheme with Altera in hopes that you will spend money at their resort in lodging and food and beverages
That’s a valid point.

For me, I spent a lot more last season on air fare, lodging, food, and sometimes rental car.
But how much of that increased spending are actually to the mountain?

For me, only lunch.

Though as I mentioned above, they did get more day pass sale when my friends join me (using my pass discount) to ski THEIR mountain rather than we all gone to other random mountains.

So perhaps unlike gym membership, mountains actually want us to go ski there

Last edited:

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since Snowbasin has become part of Epic, l now have a Powder Mountain pass......

Oh yeah!

Got a Loveland Pass last year that gave me Powder Alliance and a bunch of cool independent places, my favorite of which was PowMow. Will probably do that again this year but add an Indypass for some eastern coverage. There's some overlap with PA, but that just means more days! I mentioned in the VR / Peak thread that the purchase had caused me to reconsider a job in NH. It's since occurred to me that I hadn't thought about which pass I'd have bought if that hadn't happened. Peak for Attitash/Wildcat? Black Mt season pass with Freedom Pass benefits? I like Shawnee Peak (ME) but a standalone pass at over $700? Would probably just hit night skiing specials.

The rise of the passes really has split my friends when it comes to ski trips. There's a lot more "we'll ski at different mountains but meet up for après and evening fun...." kind of stuff. Typically, I'll agree to buy a 1 day ticket at one of their mountains if they agree to buy a 1 day ticket at one of mine. It's worked do far in Tahoe, Utah and CO

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How about a poll option: I spent more $$$ on skiing thanks to IKON/EPIC because of the "If you buy it, you must go" narrative? After all, isn't that the design point behind these mega corp. passes.

I could have easily listed 20 poll options, which I think really would have told a story, but I was limited to 10. This would definitely been a good one to add.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the stage of life my wife and I are at right now, these passes are great. As of now the plan is to remain the same as the past several seasons and keep both an Ikon Pass and Camelback Super Pass. Had hopes back in April I could consolidate that into 1 pass but that has not materialized yet.

We have always traveled for skiing and for us the passes just make it that much easier. Between the 2 passes we get Pennsy out the back door, weekends in Vermont and New Hampshire, and travel in the Colorado/Utah area with a family place in Salt Lake and a son living in Denver. Equipment both east and west makes it even easier. Get to ski pretty much constantly from Thankgiving to the 2nd or 3rd week in April. Fits us like a glove.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I think it’s both.

FWIW, I bought an Epic Pass because Vail bought Stevens Pass; if I teach this year I’ll have that cost reimbursed, but if not I go the early spring season discount. I also acquired an Ikon Pass, because if I don’t teach I’ll want to spend some time at Crystal Mt and Alpental (Summit at Snoqualmie), and even if I don’t go to either one much I have an excuse to attend the Gathering in Jackson, and with both passes I could also spend time in Park City and/or Deer Valley and/or AltaBird and/or Solitude, Snowbasin and Sun Valley on the same road trip, not to mention a later trip to Banff/Lake Louise and Kicking Horse and Revelstoke. Or for that matter, I can also drive to Whistler a few times, which is 3-4 hours away. I guess I’ll figure out later whether it’s all worth it, or which pass product I actually use more.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'd like to see other poll options like: I have been fired, I make more money, I make less money, housing has become even less affordable, etc.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Just had dinner with a bunch of Hunter season holders. The overall tone was a negative one. They fear (with good reason?) their passes will be much higher next season under Vail.

Those who had the budget for the increase grudgingly accept it. Some even start talking about trips to Stowe or out west.

But those who don’t have the ready funds (hint: retirees) to stretch for the epic pass were angry. I wonder why though, many other things had big price fluctuation (example: medicine). So why do they expect skiing season pass will be different? While I’m sympathetic, I can’t say I share the distaste. Not for that reason at least.

There’s talk about going to other mountains. The idea however, was a sad one. This was a group that skied together for decades. To see that it may get broken up was of course quite sad.

Come to think of it, didn’t Vail also broke up a little cozy online “community” call epicski.com? ogwink A fraction of the former regrouped here. But many of the memories were lost, from what I understand? :( Anyway, we accept that, grudgingly at first. But now it’s just the “new normal”;)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
They fear (with good reason?) their passes will be much higher next season under Vail.

My understanding of the Vail business model is that day ticket prices go up substantially, but the Vail Epic Pass is less expensive than a local single mountain adult pass. Although Vail not offering senior discounts (AFAIK) could be a factor.

Come to think of it, didn’t Vail also broke up a little cozy online “community” call epicski.com? ogwink A fraction of the former regrouped here. But many of the memories were lost, from what I understand? :( Anyway, we accept that, grudgingly at first. But now it’s just the “new normal”

Vail did not see value in owning a grass roots ski forum populated by ski enthusiasts. That is their mistake and loss, but I still think that they will survive. Vail did extend the Epic ski forum closure date to allow people to download and save any threads or posts that Epicski members wanted.

The new normal is better than the old normal by quite a bit. Phil and Tricia managed Epic the way Vail wanted, but by owning Pugski P&T can run it how they want. The 2 biggest improvements, imo, are the greater focus on equipment reviews and testing which is at the core of what P&T are all about, and limiting political discussions to situations that apply to skiing or the ski industry. That and insisting on everyone being civil with each other.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I don't have either pass, but the IKON pass has certainly negatively impacted the crowds at Big Sky. I would rather see it not on the IKON pass myself.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My understanding of the Vail business model is that day ticket prices go up substantially, but the Vail Epic Pass is less expensive than a local single mountain adult pass. Although Vail not offering senior discounts (AFAIK) could be a factor.

It depends on the mountain. For Stevens, and Epic Pass is a couple hundred more (US$) than a season pass used to cost, whereas for Whistler it cut the price in half, more or less. It sounds like Hunter and other places in NE the cost will increase, albeit with more options of other places to visit, both regionally and destination resorts.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've bought the MCP for the past 3 seasons. This year will be my first without it. I've gone Ikon.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on the mountain. For Stevens, and Epic Pass is a couple hundred more (US$) than a season pass used to cost, whereas for Whistler it cut the price in half, more or less. It sounds like Hunter and other places in NE the cost will increase, albeit with more options of other places to visit, both regionally and destination resorts.

Change is the only constant in life.
Agree with you that there will always be winners and losers whenever there is change.
Simple. Be the winner.
Or as my good friend Chuck (Darwin) would say, adapt or be eliminated.

FWIW, I am having the time of my life with the Ikon. :yahoo:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Being a senior has impacted my pass buying decision since MCP, Ikon, Epic do not offer senior discounts I have passed on those passes.

With the Gathering in Jackson Hole for 2020, I have purchased a JH 7 Day Senior By Pass for $389. I will also stop at Whitefish on the way home where it used to be free for super seniors (70+) but is now $25/day or $125 for a season pass.

In 2021 the Gathering is at Aspen so I will purchase a Super Senior season pass for $514 (if there is no price increase by then). Probably arrive the week before the Gathering and stay for a week or so after. Then in the spring of 2021 the plan is to purchase a 2022 Ikon pass, good for the balance of the 2021 season as well as the 2022 season.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I agree with this except being qualified for the Veterans Pass with no restrictions was a better deal for us at almost half off. Our home mountain is Stevens Pass. My wife qualified for the same price as a dependent. We used it at Whistler twice last season as well as it is less than 3-1/2 hours from where we live.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long road trips to ski many areas I haven't been to. After the gathering at JH, I might head to the PNW and Canada.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Personally I avoid them if I can but live in Winter Park and can't make up my mind where I want to move to next but it won't be near a mountain likely to join IKON or Epic.

There are still as many choices for someone with an IKON or Epic pass as have ever been it's just that their marketing teams changed the way those passholders view the world. The people who think they have more choices with a mega pass are fooling themselves and actually limiting their amount of choices by only considering skiing at mountains on one pass.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid