• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
The current monster 88 isn't quite as stiff as the 16-17. It has a slightly different feel, maybe closer in flex to a rev 85 pro. FWIW, I loved the rev 85 pro, the 16-17 monster, and the current 18-19 as well. They're back for 19-20 as well with only NGT.

Hey Markojp - I have the Rev 85 Pro and I really liked it. Looking to replace it with something a touch stiffer. Does the 88 resemble the 85 Pro in all mountain versatility as well as flex? Thanks in advance. Looking to demo these again this March along with some others in this size 85-90. Right now it is the front runner but the Kendo 88, Brahma (probably too much overlap with my current Bonafide (2016), K2 MB 90 are on the agenda to try at demo days.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Demo the Monster 88, the new Kendo, the Liberty Evolve 90, and the new Enforcer 88. These are all very good skis with diffent performance nuances. I know which two I prefer, but will leave it to you.

The current Monster 88 is my primary work ski. It does everything I need as did the Rev 85 pro and the earlier Monster (which I still have and is still in the rotation).

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Demo the Monster 88, the new Kendo, the Liberty Evolve 90, and the new Enforcer 88. These are all very good skis with diffent performance nuances. I know which two I prefer, but will leave it to you.

Thanks. I hope Liberty is at the event - heard so many good things but never had a chance to ide them. I am sure that the Head Monster 88 will be a favorite since I took it out last year at demo day for 1 run. Not a fan of the enforcers - at least the 100 - as I liked my Bonafide better. Kendo intrigues me. Will let ya know how it shakes out.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks. I hope Liberty is at the event - heard so many good things but never had a chance to ide them. I am sure that the Head Monster 88 will be a favorite since I took it out last year at demo day for 1 run. Not a fan of the enforcers - at least the 100 - as I liked my Bonafide better. Kendo intrigues me. Will let ya know how it shakes out.

FWIW, I'm not an enforcer 93/100 fan, but the 88 is very nice, and the 104 is excellent fun!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tom, your link is for last season's red 17/18 Monster 88, not the current 18/19.

Right, but the 17/18 had a softer tip and some early rise, compared to the 16/17 IIRC, so there was a slight change to the M88 before the much bigger changes with the current 18/19?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
No. Not my cuppa, but if it works for others, and it does, then give them a whirl.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Had this question today, and thought I'd post it here as well. I know the older Monster 88 handles the crud extremely well. How well does it handle powder? Has it got any flotation considering it has only a little bit of a rocker?

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
I have the first year and remember mount point getting moved forward and a hair of softening for year 2 or 3. @Philpug ?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Had this question today, and thought I'd post it here as well. I know the older Monster 88 handles the crud extremely well. How well does it handle powder? Has it got any flotation considering it has only a little bit of a rocker?

Depends on the driver and how deep/what's underneath. Speaking only for myself, I can make it work for pretty much everything, though there are certainly better 'quiver' skis that might excel in narrower performance bandwidth. No, it's not as good in powder as an Enforcer 104 FR, and no, it's not as good as a FIS SL ski for precise, high performance turns, but if you don't have the budget or access to a closet full of skis, the Monster 88 is a great 'get it done well' 80% of time ski. At the Whistler gathering a couple years back, sure, It'd have been nice to have something a bit wider for the general conditions, but I just didn't want to lug a bunch of skis to the hill. They worked fine. A different ski might have lead to different tactical choices, but whatever. It's a ski that just isn't full of surprizes (and that's a very good thing in MHO) even if the day is.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
When I skied the new one, it was on the line and felt good.

I ski the 184 at +1, but I'm sort of weird. I think on line would be fine for most folks this season.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on the driver and how deep/what's underneath. Speaking only for myself, I can make it work for pretty much everything, though there are certainly better 'quiver' skis that might excel in narrower performance bandwidth. No, it's not as good in powder as an Enforcer 104 FR, and no, it's not as good as a FIS SL ski for precise, high performance turns, but if you don't have the budget or access to a closet full of skis, the Monster 88 is a great 'get it done well' 80% of time ski. At the Whistler gathering a couple years back, sure, It'd have been nice to have something a bit wider for the general conditions, but I just didn't want to lug a bunch of skis to the hill. They worked fine. A different ski might have lead to different tactical choices, but whatever. It's a ski that just isn't full of surprizes (and that's a very good thing in MHO) even if the day is.

^^^This is well stated and exactly my experience. I find the 16-17 Monster 88 pretty good in nearly all conditions. It wouldn't be my first choice on a big powder day, but if I lucked into an untracked, unexpected stash, I would not cry about it if I were riding the Monster 88s. Plus untracked powder is pretty easy to ski on anything. If you like the feel of the Monsters, they ski pretty well across the board - but like @markojp said, in deeper snow, I might apply different tactics, take a different line, than I would on a wider ski.

For days where there is less than 6 inches and it is getting tracked out anyway, I think the Monster 88s are all aces. In the PNW, I tend to choose between the Monsters and a 105ish ski (for me that is either the Solly QLabs or the BMX 105HP), more on the basis of what's under the new snow than the amount of new snow alone. So if there is a few inches and it is likely firm, frozen, variable underneath, the Monsters are perfect and I value the precision you can extract from them. If it is more like last Sunday at Crystal and it is soft everywhere, all aspects, pockets of deeper snow, I like the benefits of a wider platform in our venue. If there is a ton of snow, a true powder ski is great.

If I could only own 1 ski in the west, the Monster 88 would be a contender (it would depend a bit on the region of the west whether I'd go with the Monsters or something in the 105 zone). If you demo'd it and liked it, buy with confidence. But get the right length. You don't need to over do it on this ski. I am 5'11", 185# and the 177 length is just perfect for me. @markojp skis the 184 in the same venue, but he is a bit bigger than I am and a LIII. So you can do the math on that and sort out where you fall on that size/skill continuum.

surf carve

Booting up
Skier
I have been skiing the 2015 184 cm Head monster 88 for three seasons at Breckenridge. Its still my favorite all mountain ski, since i am predominately a technical skier who skis groomers, and only skis off trail for 1 or 2 of runs per day. i usually ski the open terrain high alpine bowls

Its a good crud ski, and you can really make it pop if necessary. and the monster 88 will give a lot of hold and control in the steeps

i do think you need a good boot to ski the monster 88, like a soft race boot maybe only a 110 or 115 flex but very solid laterally

i have tried a number of other all mountain skis, but always go back to the head monster 88, because it is so much better for technical skiing

i would recommend mounting the monster 88 with the head free flex evo bindings

when i first the skied the monster 88, i used the regular head bindings. this year i replaced those bindings with the head free flex evo binding and it soften up the tail flex and monster 88 skis much better with the free flex evo

as for the changes, the 17/18 monster was slightly softer, they thinned the metal sheet, and slight softened the tip as compared to the 15/16 monster 88

i have a 17/18 184 cm monster 83 and it skis softer flex and livelier than the older monster 88, some of that is just the narrower width

i have read that the 18/19 is softened slightly more, the monster 88 maintains its technical groomer capabilities while skiing a bit lighter and easier off piste

i plan to buy the new monster 88

Last edited:

Sponsor