• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Has anyone skied all three years of the Monster 88? Did it really get less stiff / more flexy with each passing year?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
17-18 are the same 19 is softer with more sidecut sitll skis like a Monster though.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
17-18 are the same 19 is softer with more sidecut sitll skis like a Monster though.

I heard that it was softened twice since inception. Is it possible that happened for the first time in 2017 and then again in 2019? Since I guess it may have been introduced in 2015?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Has anyone skied all three years of the Monster 88? Did it really get less stiff / more flexy with each passing year?

I own the 2017 model in 184cm and have Tested the new one in 177cm. The 184cm is a bit chargier but the 177cm is better for bumps and is a tad easier to ski overall although I would not call the 184cm a hard ski to ski.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How so? Can you elaborate? The older models were so damp I never felt like I got the feedback necessary from the ski when I was on them.

First I will point out that there are not one but TWO demo days at WT, tomorrow and next week :) - try for yo'sel :D

Second, the newer models want to engage sooner - mostly a good thing. The downside to quicker edge response is that, if you change nothing else, you also get more snow input getting passed back to you.

Third, in order to allow a large difference between a large irregular snow input at the nose and your sensation at the binding, the intermediate span of ski *has* to get both a) softer or, in better parlance, more compliant and b) resistant to having itself thrown off course by significant deflection of the edge from the skier's intent - meaning the flex has to be made stiffer closer to the binding proportionately to the sidecut.

Conclusion: small apparent changes still require a *lot* of engineering.

For my own taste, I loved the 2017 designs - they did exactly what I wanted and no more, in "almost a race ski" sort of way.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
We have a demo day coming up and I am hoping to get to compare a few 88’s. Monster, Brahma, Kendo.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've not skied the older models, but demoed the 177 cm 88 since they didn't have the 184. Even at my size (6'6", 230 lb), I found it substantial enough and nicely damp, to my liking. I currently ski a Elan Amphibio 88 XTi at 186 which is noticeably chargier and damp. I'd like a little more side cut since I have a cheater GS in the stable.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've not skied the older models, but demoed the 177 cm 88 since they didn't have the 184. Even at my size (6'6", 230 lb), I found it substantial enough and nicely damp, to my liking. I currently ski a Elan Amphibio 88 XTi at 186 which is noticeably chargier and damp. I'd like a little more side cut since I have a cheater GS in the stable.

You'd love my Original + Mod 8 -> more sidecut AND MUCH more tail response than the 184cm M88, in a 178cm beastie. Flexed for a 230lber.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone know if there had been a change between 2015 and 2017?

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, so the monster 88 since the reintroduction of the monster name had been the same ski since 2014 or 2015, and had its first change this year (2019).

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
First I will point out that there are not one but TWO demo days at WT, tomorrow and next week :) - try for yo'sel :D

Second, the newer models want to engage sooner - mostly a good thing. The downside to quicker edge response is that, if you change nothing else, you also get more snow input getting passed back to you.

Third, in order to allow a large difference between a large irregular snow input at the nose and your sensation at the binding, the intermediate span of ski *has* to get both a) softer or, in better parlance, more compliant and b) resistant to having itself thrown off course by significant deflection of the edge from the skier's intent - meaning the flex has to be made stiffer closer to the binding proportionately to the sidecut.

Conclusion: small apparent changes still require a *lot* of engineering.

For my own taste, I loved the 2017 designs - they did exactly what I wanted and no more, in "almost a race ski" sort of way.

try it this way - head race plate, Atomic X19 on a 17 184....ogsmile

fullsizeoutput_3e6f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3e6e.jpeg

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, so the monster 88 since the reintroduction of the monster name had been the same ski since 2014 or 2015, and had its first change this year (2019).

someone like @markojp or @Philpug could clarify, but I recall hearing that the first change after the re-introduction of the M88 was '17-18 version; and then it changed subtly again in '18-19 (current year). As for the what and how much, I do not know that definitively. No idea what happens for next year ('19-20) or if it stays in the line. I own the 16-17, that is the only one I can speak to. I think it is awesome.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have any idea what companies are showing up at Whitetail tomorrow? I'd call Princeton Sports, but the sponsors never seem to know who is showing up. They just take a guess and say, "Probably Volkl. Maybe Head. Some other ones, too."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have any idea what companies are showing up at Whitetail tomorrow? I'd call Princeton Sports, but the sponsors never seem to know who is showing up. They just take a guess and say, "Probably Volkl. Maybe Head. Some other ones, too."

Probably a good take. Over the last couple of seasons at WT I've demo'ed Volkl, Head, Stockli, Dynastar, Elan, and Rossignol.

But it seems to vary year to year quite a bit.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January