• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Valley is pretty steep for blues, nice grooming though.

I think a majority of resorts have decent blues and it would be better to pick somewhere and then eliminate if needed.

I concur. Their greens are steep, their blues are much steeper than any blues elsewhere that I've ever skied.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Blues, maybe, and most of those are on the steeper side of blue. Green runs from the top? Not so much.

So the advice in this thread now becomes only relevant based on the OP's wife's interpretation of what "steep " is in relation to a blue run?

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Snowmass and steamboat are tops, as other posters said, plus the bonus of nearby hot springs as a worthy diversion. I'd also say copper, a lot of variety , and long runs on that mountain.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll third or fourth Snowmass or Steamboat.

Snowmass being the better ski choice based on your criteria.

Steamboat being a far more enjoyable town than Aspen for my tastes.

Sun Valley is too steep and not very easy to get to.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So the advice in this thread now becomes only relevant based on the OP's wife's interpretation of what "steep " is in relation to a blue run?

The thread is titled “Good resort with easy blues.” Snowbasin is a great resort, one of my favorites, but easy blues? Maybe a few, but most have steeper sections that do not appeal to skiers who are looking for an easy blue. Rather than make my suggestions relevant only based on the OP’s wife’s interpretation, I’m looking at terrain that I would feel comfortable taking my students who are moving from green to blue runs.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

It’s not the OPs wife’s interpretation, it’s other posters interpretation. When the OP specifically asks for “greens and easy blues”, then I think the fact that several people mention that (they think) Sun Valley’s runs are steep for their grading is both relevant and helpful.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since they like Park City I'm thinking they like a resort with lots of restaurants, entertainment, etc. That leaves out Pow Mow. for sure. Of all the suggestions that have come before I cast my vote for Telluride.

Last edited:

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Telluride's the best bet. Tons of great, long green runs and lots of single-blue-square easier intermediate trails. Amazing views, few crowds, charming town, great restaurants, and nonstop flights Atlanta-Montrose. Mammoth, Deer Valley, and Powder Mountain are good recommendations, too... and probably the Alps (although I haven't been).

Once concern I have with a lot of the resorts mentioned is that they just show one category of "blue" run... it's more helpful when seeking out gentle blues to have the trail map/signage help you find it. Yes, you can memorize or download lists of easier blue runs... but seems like a hassle.

I know Powder Mountain is BIG, but a large chunk of that is hike-to or snowcat. And even on the lift accessed terrain, how much of that is groomed? Sounds like the OP’s wife is not looking for moguls, u groomed, etc. I am sure they have some great green runs, but do they have enough of them to entertain someone for a whole vacation, skiing only their green and blue groomers?

Then there is their low altitude, so maybe not the best choice for the end of the OP’s timeframe.

BTW, I don’t mean to make this sounds as a slam on Powder Mtn, It is actually the resort I most want to visit.

PowMow has fantastic and extensive grooming, and their low crowds keep the snow smooth. They frequently groom tons of green and blue terrain--every lift has green and blue options to/from. And all their blues are fairly gentle. So yes, the terrain's a fantastic recommendation for this case. The elevation is comparable to PCMR, and PowMow's northern exposure and lower crowds mean the snow's likely to hold up better later than at PCMR... but it's true that late season there is a bit of a gamble. Another downside for the OP is the lack of good restaurants onsite or within a 30-minute drive.

The thread is titled “Good resort with easy blues.” Snowbasin is a great resort, one of my favorites, but easy blues? Maybe a few, but most have steeper sections that do not appeal to skiers who are looking for an easy blue. Rather than make my suggestions relevant only based on the OP’s wife’s interpretation, I’m looking at terrain that I would feel comfortable taking my students who are moving from green to blue runs.
I love Snowbasin, but I absolutely agree with David that it is NOT the resort to pick for greens/easy blues. By any reasonable definition of greens/easy blues. Particularly so in this case, since the OP mentions wanting to avoid catwalks, since the gentlest runs from the top at Snowbasin all require catwalks... but even for some hypothetical person who loves catwalks, I wouldn't point them toward Snowbasin.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sun Peaks is Blue Heaven with 58% intermediate terrain and has at least one green run off every chair.

Award winning grooming and snow quality equal to Utah but without Utah volumes....wait, right now Sun Peaks has 80+ runs open and received close to a foot of new snow since the November mild spell, while Utah currently has squat.:duck:

Usually 35-40 runs are groomed nightly and if it snows overnight and you want to find or avoid the powder, runs that were groomed before the snow fell are marked on the grooming report with a snowflake icon.

Currently a US dollar is worth about 1.25 to 1.30 in Canada.

Whistler has been mentioned by others but I only go there in April when the crowds are gone.
Banff was also suggested, but I only go there in April when the chance of brutal cold temps are gone.
Big White was also suggested, but it has a well earned nickname: Big Whiteout, I never go there.

For more info on Sun Peaks check out the link to my Unofficial Guide in my signature, below.

If traveling to Canada is not in the equation, then I recommend Snowmass and it is almost as uncrowded as Sun Peaks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Garfield , what type of skiing do you enjoy? There are so many resorts with fun, easy blues - might help to narrow it down to what you want. Also, you say you don't care about nightlife, but what about ski in/ski out vs taking a bus to save money? Are you cooking in your condo most nights? Etc.

That said, Breck has the Peak 7 area which is full of easy intermediate cruising runs. When most of the area is open you can find relaxed skiing there. Its most always sunny and nice. Peak 6 also offers some easy going intermediate terrain in the alpine with great views. Peak 8 and 9 also have some good intermediate cruising runs but most of the time are much more crowded.

Agree on Peak 7 - and even as an advanced skier, the blues there are fun because they have undulations that you don't typically see on runs elsewhere. Disagree on Peak 6 - the lower runs are often bumped up, and the route down to them is a scraped up ice sheet more often than not. And the long runout can be trouble if you're not good at holding speed, with a tricky entrance to the bottom of the lift (mostly due to cross traffic). But peaks 7, 8, and 9 have plenty of mellow blues.

I like the idea of thinking outside the box, especially with night life not being critical. Big Sky is huuuuuuge with tons of terrain at all levels, and you can ride the tram up for the view even if you don't ski difficult black runs. You might even see a mountain goat!

I was going to suggest Solitude, but I'm not sure if there's enough there for a week. But you could combine visits to a few different areas ...

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
In the advanced beginner to mid-intermediate stages, I skied a number of the places mentioned. I can agree with Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Steamboat, Mammoth, Northstar, and Sunshine Village at Banff.

I would not recommend Whistler as your next location. It's not that they don't have the trails you want. It would be the visibility ... if they had any.

I would not recommend Powder Mountain. When I was there, they seemed to have green and blue trails, but they lacked sufficient signs for me to know where I was headed. If they've remedied that, I'd be game for a day -- one single day -- there.

Snowmass gets rave reviews for having the endless array of groomers that your wife and I want. I plan to go there this season to check it out myself.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd also recommend Copper. It's really hard there to get on a run that's 'over you head' as the mountain is nicely broken up by ability. If you're on the west side of the resort it's all long greens and blues with fairly even pitches and no surprise steep black runs or bumps unless you head way over to the east side of the resort.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Well, If you all think Snowbasin is full of cat tracks and steep blues unmanageable for the OP, I must be a lot better skier than I thought I was :)

The Mount Odgen Bowl Road from the top of the John Paul Express is almost 2500 ft of the easiest of blue runs. Anything less than that would have to be green. Porky's face is even more mellow, and you could lap the 15f00 ft it gives you, or take it all the way to the base for even longer runs. Middle Bowl, Wildcat Express all have multiple easy blue routes down for hours or cruising fun. If you can't handle those, maybe greens are a better option?

Not even a Snowbasin local, just been there a few times and really enjoyed the long, easy blue runs. but I guess I'm wrong?

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Sun Valley I hear is tremendous. Big Sky is also good.

Sun Valley has very little low pitch terrain. The greens on Seattle Ridge are the steepest greens I’ve seen anywhere.

Edit. Missed the previous post on Sun Valley being steep.

Last edited:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I'd also recommend Copper. It's really hard there to get on a run that's 'over you head' as the mountain is nicely broken up by ability. If you're on the west side of the resort it's all long greens and blues with fairly even pitches and no surprise steep black runs or bumps unless you head way over to the east side of the resort.

I'd second this, and keeping the desire for gentle terrain in mind, I'd even stay west of the American Eagle lift. Some of the blues off of the Eagle have some pretty good pitches and can be tricky when they get firm. But the Timberline lift pod is an easy blue run paradise. Jaque's Pique, Windsong, The Moz, and American Flyer are all great cruisers that don't get too steep, and when you're ready for some low angle bumps, Little Burn under the Timberline lift is a great place to learn moguls.

The green cruisers under the American Flyer lift (Coppertone, High Point, Vein Glory, etc.) are long and fairly interesting, with lots of terrain changes. Sounds like what OP is looking for.

See Trail map.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I know Powder Mountain is BIG, but a large chunk of that is hike-to or snowcat. And even on the lift accessed terrain, how much of that is groomed? Sounds like the OP’s wife is not looking for moguls, u groomed, etc. I am sure they have some great green runs, but do they have enough of them to entertain someone for a whole vacation, skiing only their green and blue groomers?

Then there is their low altitude, so maybe not the best choice for the end of the OP’s timeframe.

BTW, I don’t mean to make this sounds as a slam on Powder Mtn, It is actually the resort I most want to visit.

My comments are based on lift served and traverse terrain. No snowcat, No Hiking, No Bus Back (Companion couldn't handle power country until our last day when weather closed it)

PowMo in general is flat. Yes, there I said it. It's flat. The run outs are long, the lifts are slow and you often have to take 3-4 to repeat a run. It makes it very good for a intermediate especially one that want's to try bowl skiing. Mary's is also a great place to dabble with very gentle trees as shown in the video below.

Mary's Bowl not my content, trees optional.

There's another wide open bowl (sunnyslope on the map that you don't need to hike to drop into parts of) . Village Lift is even tamer than Mary's.

It's not a place I'd necessarily go for myself,though admittedly my previous 3 days were limited by my companion. But its a place that I can take intermediates to have a unique amazing experience.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My comments are based on lift served and traverse terrain. No snowcat, No Hiking, No Bus Back (Companion couldn't handle power country until our last day when weather closed it)

PowMo in general is flat. Yes, there I said it. It's flat. The run outs are long, the lifts are slow and you often have to take 3-4 to repeat a run. It makes it very good for a intermediate especially one that want's to try bowl skiing. Mary's is also a great place to dabble with very gentle trees as shown in the video below.

There's another wide open bowl (sunnyslope on the map that you don't need to hike to drop into parts of) . Village Lift is even tamer than Mary's.

It's not a place I'd necessarily go for myself,though admittedly my previous 3 days were limited by my companion. But its a place that I can take intermediates to have a unique amazing experience.

@New2PDX too.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info! I see this on Powderhounds too:
"There are truckloads of groomed beginners’ runs at Powder Mountain across all lifts. Some of the trails are incredibly long, so those still perfecting the snow-plow will want to remain on the trails near Powder Mountain Lodge. The trails off the Sundown lift are also a good place to start"

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok @Garfield, we have 3 pages of suggestions and discussions here on your post, and several unanswered question for you? What are you thinking?

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've taken my kids skiing at Winterpark, and they had a lot of nice long cruising runs, even from the top of Parsenn bowl. And there are a lot of places where an easier trail meanders across short steep sections, so your wife can take the easy trail and you can shortcut down the steeper section. Lot's of reasonable lodging in the town with walking to restaurants etc

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've taken my kids skiing at Winterpark, and they had a lot of nice long cruising runs, even from the top of Parsenn bowl. And there are a lot of places where an easier trail meanders across short steep sections, so your wife can take the easy trail and you can shortcut down the steeper section. Lot's of reasonable lodging in the town with walking to restaurants etc

Again, we are still waiting for the OP to respond, including with how, long he wants to go, but let's say they are going for a week.

I have spent a week in Winter Park 4 times the last few years. I'd say it's ok for easy groomers, but not great. The only easy runs back down to Winter Park base end in a catwalk, and the only easier run down to Mary Jane base is the blue Mary Jane trail (nice trial though!). The number of green trails is tiny, and even the number of groomed (easy)blues is not that big. Sure it's a decent sized resort, but of those ~3000 acres, all of Eaglewind, all of the Cirque and most of Mary Jane are harder.

Vasquez has high quality easy runs, and nice and remote feeling, which can be rare on easier runs. Long flat at the bottom of each run. Sunnyside is nice, and scenic, but only a few runs, and they are short. It's true that Parsenn bowl lets you ski all they way from the top on nice blue groomers, like the OP asked. But there are only about 2.5 groomed blue runs down from Parsenn back to the Pano lift, at most one mornings worth of skiing.

When my kids were less strong skiers, and we were looking for green and easy blue runs, the choice was limited. Not a big deal for a 4 year old, but I imagine a grown up who is there for a week might want more.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online