• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Snowmass' famous wide groomers sound exactly like what you're looking for. Snowmass has all the terrain you could ever want and, is well known for awesome wide long groomer runs which seems like something you'd love. The lift lines are also non-existent in comparison to other mountains in Colorado. The Aspen Airport gives quick and easy access but, can be more expensive than Denver. Lodging is also expensive but, overall you'll love Snowmass, maybe it'll even give you the chance to break your comfort zone and try out some new terrain!

Last edited:
TS
G

Garfield

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Wow, so much advice, thanks! Sorry for not getting back sooner.

What kind of a skier is your wife? Is she looking to trench deep carves or cruise? Does she fanatically want to ski open to close or is it more something to get some fresh air and exercise?

What kind of skiing do you like? How long do you plan on going? Do you want to stay in one spot or combine multiple close resorts?

She is looking to just cruise and enjoy skiing, without worrying about getting into too steep runs. She gets intimidated by steep sections. This is a relaxing fun vacation, not aggressively trying to max out her ability (or mine for that matter). Groomed runs, no bumps. Normally we go for a week, and take 1-2 days off to rest the legs and do other stuff on off days.

I usually ski with her, and do some other blues as well. I am conservative, so don't like to get in over my head, so I don't do bumps or blacks either for the most part. Maybe one or two of the groomed single blacks at PCMR, but not often.

@Monique - We prefer to eat out at night. I cook breakfast wherever we stay, but like to ski, come back, change and eat out, then come back and pass out from exhaustion. So good food is important, but nightclubs and the like are not. At PCMR we usually rent via VRBO, the location changes depending on what available when we go. Also prefer either ski in/out or short walk to slopes/lift so we don't have to drive or take shuttle.

We only get to ski once or twice a year, so "pushing the envelope" isn't important to us, since with limited time each year it is more fun to relax and do easier runs that don't tire us out versus trying hard to get better and getting tired quickly. Just like to have some fun, get some nice clean air, great views, good food, and get away from the hustle of Atlanta.

Canada would certainly be an option, with the exchange rate. If Whistler or other Canadian resort is better in Mid (or even late) March, we can easily do that. We are just used to PCMR getting a bit warm by mid-March, so like to stick to Feb or early March.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

She is looking to just cruise and enjoy skiing, without worrying about getting into too steep runs. She gets intimidated by steep sections. This is a relaxing fun vacation, not aggressively trying to max out her ability (or mine for that matter). Groomed runs, no bumps. Normally we go for a week, and take 1-2 days off to rest the legs and do other stuff on off days.

I usually ski with her, and do some other blues as well. I am conservative, so don't like to get in over my head, so I don't do bumps or blacks either for the most part. Maybe one or two of the groomed single blacks at PCMR, but not often.

@Monique - We prefer to eat out at night. I cook breakfast wherever we stay, but like to ski, come back, change and eat out, then come back and pass out from exhaustion. So good food is important, but nightclubs and the like are not. At PCMR we usually rent via VRBO, the location changes depending on what available when we go. Also prefer either ski in/out or short walk to slopes/lift so we don't have to drive or take shuttle.

We only get to ski once or twice a year, so "pushing the envelope" isn't important to us, since with limited time each year it is more fun to relax and do easier runs that don't tire us out versus trying hard to get better and getting tired quickly. Just like to have some fun, get some nice clean air, great views, good food, and get away from the hustle of Atlanta.

Canada would certainly be an option, with the exchange rate. If Whistler or other Canadian resort is better in Mid (or even late) March, we can easily do that. We are just used to PCMR getting a bit warm by mid-March, so like to stick to Feb or early March.

You are going to love Breckenridge. I have gone there every month of the season and even in late March into April it can be quite good because of the high altitude. All the blues below treeline are super easy, not too steep and with plenty of space. Like I mentioned earlier Peak 7 has the best selection of blues with the least crowds. I have really enjoyed the town of Breckenridge ever since I first visited it 25 years ago. Yes it has grown a bit but still had that cool vibe. Yes it can get quite busy during xmas, pres. day weekend, MLK weekend and during spring break. Avoid those dates and Breck is really nice.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

@Monique - We prefer to eat out at night. Also prefer either ski in/out or short walk to slopes/lift so we don't have to drive or take shuttle.

Ok so if I get it right, you’d be looking for:
  • Good quality green and easy blue runs, with perhaps a few harder, groomed blues in there
  • Enough of those for about 6 days of skiing them
  • A large enough town to support several pleasant restaurants.
  • Diversions for a day (or 2) off the slopes.
  • You are flexible in your timeframe, you can go when snow is best and crowds are least
  • Close to an airport
You don’t specifically mention, but I am guessing you might want a pleasant town/base area to?

Earlier I had mentioned Europe. I would still think that might be your best bet, but only if you could go for a bit longer than a week, and on cheap flight days.

I would not not suggest Winter Park. With one exception, all the harder blue runs are ungroomed, as is every single black run. There are a LOT of moguls. Add to that the town is nothing to look at, not hideous or anything, just not likely to inspire a leasurely after dinner stroll.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd suggest here, because

• Great town, good restaurants
  • Lots of blue cruisers
  • Airport is just a half an hour from the slopes
  • No crowds
BUT:
  • People looking for easy blues are frequently adverse to fog and I cannot guarantee you won't hit it, even if it's a good season. I've certainly had entire weeks here without it, but it's a possibility.
  • It requires a change of planes to get here and a lot of people think changing planes is a bigger deal than the "touch down to feet on slopes" time span. Personally, I think the lack of drama here once you land is a big plus, that counter balances the plane change A LOT. But that's just me.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Snowmass. Again.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Hate to be obvious but Park City is going to usually have the best snow of any place mentioned here.

Seriously and by far.

Maybe rent a car and go up to Snow Basin for a day?

If you can wait to see how Europe is doing then go to Italy in March.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hate to be obvious but Park City is going to usually have the best snow of any place mentioned here.

The OP is skiing groomers only. I really would not expect any other major Western resorts mentioned to have bad groomer condition in the midwinter timeframe he has available. Moguls and other ungroomed is a different story, but groomers?

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
The OP is skiing groomers only. I really would not expect any other major Western resorts mentioned to have bad groomer condition in the midwinter timeframe he has available. Moguls and other ungroomed is a different story, but groomers?

I know you only ski on the top but getting 500 inches per season versus 250 inches makes a difference even in February even on groomers. I much rather ski a fresh snow groomer than a week old one.

At least I didn't suggest Alta, which makes the most sense if snow is the factor!

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
The altitude difference if you go to the Summit area could be a problem. I would suggest either Bachelor or Big Sky. Bend is a real town with lots of dining options and it is an easy drive to Bachelor. Big Sky is loaded with easy blue runs. You can either stay in Big Sky or stay in Bozeman and drive to Big Sky each day. It is not a long drive but can set sporty driving through the canyon if the weather is dicey.

TS
G

Garfield

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Ok so if I get it right, you’d be looking for:
  • Good quality green and easy blue runs, with perhaps a few harder, groomed blues in there
  • Enough of those for about 6 days of skiing them
  • A large enough town to support several pleasant restaurants.
  • Diversions for a day (or 2) off the slopes.
  • You are flexible in your timeframe, you can go when snow is best and crowds are least
  • Close to an airport
You don’t specifically mention, but I am guessing you might want a pleasant town/base area to?

Earlier I had mentioned Europe. I would still think that might be your best bet, but only if you could go for a bit longer than a week, and on cheap flight days.

I would not not suggest Winter Park. With one exception, all the harder blue runs are ungroomed, as is every single black run. There are a LOT of moguls. Add to that the town is nothing to look at, not hideous or anything, just not likely to inspire a leasurely after dinner stroll.

Pretty much spot on, yes. "Pleasant" is a good description, since I don't need fancy for the sake of being fancy (or fancy just to jack up the price, which is what a lot of Park City restaurants are becoming).

Never thought about Europe, maybe I'll look at that for next season.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Pretty much spot on, yes. "Pleasant" is a good description, since I don't need fancy for the sake of being fancy (or fancy just to jack up the price, which is what a lot of Park City restaurants are becoming).

Never thought about Europe, maybe I'll look at that for next season.

Having lived in Atlanta for twenty years, I know that at times in the winter it is almost as cheap to fly to Europe as it is to fly to SLC.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know you only ski on the top but getting 500 inches per season versus 250 inches makes a difference even in February even on groomers. I much rather ski a fresh snow groomer than a week old one.

At least I didn't suggest Alta, which makes the most sense if snow is the factor!

I am not the snow guru, @TonyC could give better specs but here's my quick pull from bestsnow:
Park City: 290"
Steamboat 370"
Aspen -250"
Telluride 280"
Big Sky 280"

Then besides annual snowfall, there is temperature, and exposure. I bet a north facing groomer at high(cold) altitude will ski better 4 days after a storm than a south facing one at low altitude a day afterwards.

Also, I am not sure that all skiers skiing groomed run do prefer the fresh snow. I read several statements from people who said they actually stay home on a snow day!

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There was a time (my first season here) when I referred to all the excess snow on the trail. I remember those days. I was used to Poconos conditions. Ice, with a dusting of broken up ice on top.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Altitude can cut a couple ways. First, it can make for better conditions. Second, acclimation and altitude sickness can be a problem for some.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I am not the snow guru, @TonyC could give better specs but here's my quick pull from bestsnow:
Park City: 290"
Steamboat 370"
Aspen -250"
Telluride 280"
Big Sky 280"

Then besides annual snowfall, there is temperature, and exposure. I bet a north facing groomer at his (cold) altitude will ski better 4 days after a storm than a south facing one at low altitude a day afterwards.

Also, I am not sure that all skiers skiing groomed run do prefer the fresh snow. I read several statements from people who said they actually stay home on a snow day!

OK you got me. I'm an Alta guy and I just assumed the Park City was only a notch less bountiful than Little Cottonwood. Obviously I'm wrong! First time ever!

Not to belabor it though... and I have no love for Park City having never really bothered to ski there BUT it is still going to be the easiest/cheapest to fly into! Give me something!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There was a time (my first season here) when I referred to all the excess snow on the trail. I remember those days. I was used to Poconos conditions. Ice, with a dusting of broken up ice on top.

:roflmao:

Sponsor