• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Had the C6 out today. Drove to a remberence day ceremony, between changing our other three cars over to snow tires.There isn't a lot of traction available on the cold asphalt. Just Saying. Also, I didn't have time for a bike ride today (putting on gear would have made me late), and don't want to risk frosty roads tomorrow morning. I will be gone back to Sudbury tomorrow afternoon. Probably won't ride until spring. Gotta say though, fun as the Corvette is, the 750 Gixxer is a lot more fun. Quicker too. (But the 'vette IS warmer)

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a '68 Firebird that went over 100k - and then I wrapped it around a tree :D
( Even with cinder blocks in the trunk to balance it...)
It was a fun ride, but dumb.

My '67 911 is still a GREAT car that continues to teach me how to drive.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_1395 copy.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I had a '68 Firebird that went over 100k - and then I wrapped it around a tree :D
( Even with cinder blocks in the trunk to balance it...)
It was a fun ride, but dumb.

My '67 911 is still a GREAT car that continues to teach me how to drive.
Porsche hadn't really got the rear end under control yet!

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You're too kind. They were $hit Boxes. The 'quality' was very low. Bodies, running gear and mechanicals. Assuming you didn't wrap one around a tree because the 'handling' was so bad, it likely wasn't going past 100k without a few rebuilds. And you better put the miles on quickly because the body would be returning to the earth with everything rusting.

Still higher quality than 70s Fiat, Alfasud, Datsun ...

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Datsun? In 1972 Datsun was so dominant in SCCA C-Production that Porsche gave up and moved to the Can-Am Series. Today in vintage racing Datsuns are doing the same to Porsche all over again.

Here's a great article about Datsun's arrival in the USA:

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/datsun-rising-peter-brock-bre-datsun-240z/

Here's Phil Mendelovitz (461), Chris Horn (72) and me (129) in the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca practicing for the SCCA Fall Classic.

1931331_1085690859381_8629_n.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Datsun? In 1972 Datsun was so dominant in SCCA C-Production that Porsche gave up and moved to the Can-Am Series. Today in vintage racing Datsuns are doing the same to Porsche all over again.

Here's a great article about Datsun's arrival in the USA:

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/datsun-rising-peter-brock-bre-datsun-240z/

Here's Phil Mendelovitz (461), Chris Horn (72) and me (129) in the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca practicing for the SCCA Fall Classic.

View attachment 215437
Watch "Winning" it is about Paul Newman and his days growing through the ranks with Datsun. A great documentary.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You're too kind. They were $hit Boxes. The 'quality' was very low. Bodies, running gear and mechanicals. Assuming you didn't wrap one around a tree because the 'handling' was so bad, it likely wasn't going past 100k without a few rebuilds. And you better put the miles on quickly because the body would be returning to the earth with everything rusting.
Not so fast with that statement, go to any car show and you will see many if not most vehicles are 60's muscle cars. Many are in original condition and many others are restored. They were only built for one thing, the drag strip and not for twisting and turning roads like the European muscle cars.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not so fast with that statement, go to any car show and you will see many if not most vehicles are 60's muscle cars. Many are in original condition and many others are restored. They were only built for one thing, the drag strip and not for twisting and turning roads like the European muscle cars.
Just because people restore and collect them now doesn't mean they weren't built like crap. There were a few specific models/option packages that were fast but most of them were dogs.

Uncle-A

Skier
Just because people restore and collect them now doesn't mean they weren't built like crap. There were a few specific models/option packages that were fast but most of them were dogs.
I am listening, what dogs are you referring to? I am editing this because you forgot to mention the part that I said that some are original.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Oh, so not made to actually drive.
They sure hit their mark!

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really, that is one of those myths. Tail wagging the dog. Like the "dangerous at any speed" Corvair.
An early Porsche (SWB) is very stable, you just have to know how to drive a tail heavy car.
Slow in - fast out. Too fast in - go faster.
No less dangerous than a front end heavy 350cc Firebird, but maybe simpler for most.
Too fast in, take foot off gas.
For some , even that is a train wreck (my downfall at 18, was back ice)

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really, that is one of those myths. Tail wagging the dog. Like the "dangerous at any speed" Corvair.
An early Porsche (SWB) is very stable, you just have to know how to drive a tail heavy car.
Slow in - fast out. Too fast in - go faster.
No less dangerous than a front end heavy 350cc Firebird, but maybe simpler for most.
Too fast in, take foot off gas.
For some , even that is a train wreck (my downfall at 18, was back ice)
For a 911 the mantra is: “don’t lift off the throttle in a corner “

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And I’ve had more than one corner where I have chanted to myself: dontliftdontliftdontliftdontlift.

Uncle-A

Skier
Oh, so not made to actually drive.
They sure hit their mark!
I drove a friend's 1965 GTO many times it handled the road just fine. It wasn't a Ferrari GTO but not much is.

Sponsor

Staff online