• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Is there a new schedule out since the one posted on the FIS World Cup Site (from October)?
http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/.../LongtermL_M_2018-2021_09.10.2017_Neutral.pdf

The FIS congress, or whatever they call the meetings vote on the calendar through I think 2021 in May, than "reaffirmed it" in October. Now, they meet again in May, and they could change things moving forward. I bet we'll have a fr idea then

As it's been explained to me, the IOC doesn't have to follow the FIS lead, or recommendation, but if FIS does kill the combined, the chances of seeing it in future Olympics is nil. Kind of interesting as I do think there is a nostalgia vote to be cast there. People coming out and saying that it's the only time that tech and speed "come together." Of course others say "Why should they?" We'll see.

FIS is all about better viewing, better crowds, a better product for TV and advertisers. And it sounds like their experience with parallel SL, City events, and all of that "stuff" that involves head to head runs, short "sprint" runs, more views of the racers, more face time, etc. has been very positive. So, I think we can bet on more.

At the Olympics, I guess we could see a parallel event for each gender to replace the combined. I bet that the Team event survives in some form, but it needs to be reworked. It's also just not a big deal, at least for some nations, and nobody is forcing federations to ski their best. Another interesting question is "who is the best?" Hirscher has never liked them, or done well.

The way those courses were set, first of all one course had a pretty decent speed advantage. You don't run both, so if your ranking and draw puts you on the fast course, that might be worth .20 secs. That needs to be fixed. The courses are SO fast, and so down the far line that the tallest guys have huge advantage. Much as they did in the days of the old pro ski tour. Bode hinted at it, but didn't want to call the event a joke. The really tall guys, with long legs, can ski an entirely different race. Have to fix that. BUT, I think the Team Event in some form stays.

Some pretty humorous suggestion. Many jokes over the years about an alpine biathlon. With big firepower.

I'm under the impression that these games may be a highpoint in the number of events and athletes. Maybe there will be more in China, but I would not be surprised to see the number of events reduced.

Ice skating? TV ratings, research and ad revenue drive it all. NBC got far more complaints about too much skiing, than about too much skating. That's the way it goes.

My experience with alpine racers is that they love their first Olympics, and if at the end of their careers, their last. They also like them of they are legit medal contenders, even more if they win a few. For the average WC skier, not a lot of love for the whole ordeal. Sounds odd, but that's the way it is.

Still love Ester's Olympics!

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I was wrong about the AC events terminating next season. The plan, apparently, is to stop doing them only after the 2019 season. Pretty sure the IOC will follow FIS on this.
The official schedule proposal shows AC events on the proposed calendar in 2019-20 but not in 20-21.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ditch curling, whatever it is. Same with "freestyle" skiing. Fake moguls, every competitor, at least on the women's side, doing a helicopter and a layout back flip? Boring. also halfpipe and big air skiing/boarding are becoming formulaic. for me the "extreme sports" novelty wore off in 1997.

Add rando racing -- very popular, would make for compelling viewing. How about a rando relay, where each team member skins up 1 km and skis down a GS course? Also add parallel night slalom. Also, if the terrain allows it -- big mountain freeride skiing. Candide FTW!

I'm OK with figure skating and hockey, was a great move to get the NHL players out. Figure skating could benefit from a bit of soul searching as to what constitutes a great routine. Too much spinning and crashing and not enough creativity.

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Ditch curling, whatever it is. Same with "freestyle" skiing. Fake moguls, every competitor, at least on the women's side, doing a helicopter and a layout back flip?

For the women, there was besides back layouts and 360s there were back full, front truck driver (front pike grab), front tucks, and different variations of grabs. (Yes, the Freestyle Sport Committee has data on all of this and reviews it yearly.)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ditch curling, whatever it is. Same with "freestyle" skiing. Fake moguls, every competitor, at least on the women's side, doing a helicopter and a layout back flip? Boring. also halfpipe and big air skiing/boarding are becoming formulaic. for me the "extreme sports" novelty wore off in 1997.

And racing is different how? Injected courses, same formulas for gates per vertical foot and width spacing, everyone must be on nearly identical skis, etc..

GCRUMP

Putting on skis
Skier
How about synchronized skiing?
I had never seen the competitions of the national Demo teams before someone posted a video on pugski , I thought that was pretty cool and might make a good Olympic event ( do enough countries compete?) .

Generally I don't like the events with subjective scoring so I'm sure there will be a lot of debate..... should make the Instructor section on Pugski entertaining for a while as the different styles are debated.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And racing is different how? Injected courses, same formulas for gates per vertical foot and width spacing, everyone must be on nearly identical skis, etc..

That makes me wonder if they should add a Banzai event... random terrain course, any type of skis, fastest time wins.

James

Out There
Instructor
How about synchronized skiing?
I had never seen the competitions of the national Demo teams before someone posted a video on pugski , I thought that was pretty cool and might make a good Olympic event ( do enough countries compete?) .

Generally I don't like the events with subjective scoring so I'm sure there will be a lot of debate..... should make the Instructor section on Pugski entertaining for a while as the different styles are debated.
While we're at it, lets add synchro swimming under an ice sheet.

Figure skating is here to stay. Get over it. It's audience in the US at least is hugely bigger than ski racing likely. Judge, smudge. Diving is judged. Ski racing ain't fair- wind, fog, snow. Maybe we should build a huge dome? Big enough for the downhill. House the IOC members in apts in the roof with gold plated toilets.

Just because NBC's coverage is stupid where they call a race after the top 15 and move on. On the other hand watching the 64th GS or slalom racer from Mexico might not be entertaining. There's really no reason they can't present the games in a better manner.

Get rid of skiing aerials. No relation to skiing and you just get gymnasts going into it who can't ski. At least in big air they have to ski a significant distance into the jump and out of the landing.

Lets do something to change moguls and make it interesting. The speed necessity just makes it boring esp after the final jump.

Sponsor

Staff online