• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
What on snow events would you like to see added to or omitted from the next Winter Olympics?

Additions
  • Dual Moguls - exciting to watch and keeps the X game generation watching; even if you don't understand scoring, view side-by-side comparison
  • Dual Slalom - the city night events have been very successful on the World Cup
  • Ski Big Air - not sure why this wasn't added with snowboard big air
  • Women's Ski Jumping - Large Hill - women can jump the same as men
Omit
  • Alpine Team Event - I'm not sure how the team event added value--especially when the big names in the US chose not to compete

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Alpine Team Event - I'm not sure how the team event added value--especially when the big names in the US chose not to compete
That one made me scratch my head too.
Its like it wants to be dual alpine, but not quite sure how to do it.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
How come there's no multiple sport individual events like the pentathlon in the winter games?

Say, you need to ski down some slope (slalom or GS), throw some tricks on the half pipe on snowboard, xc ski for 20 km, skate some laps in the speed oval, then a couple of triple toe loops on figure skate...

The ultimate winter athlete?

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Add Rando racing. 12 hour event starting at midnight.
Delete team alpine event as it is currently run. Rethink how to do a compelling alpine team event. The xc & biathlon team/relay events are some of the most thrilling events in the Olympics.
Bring back the skimeister (modified): Day 1: SG,SL Day 2: Small Hill Jump, Freestyle XC ski.
Add freestyle skimeister: Moguls/Skiercross/Ski Big Air/Ski Halfpipe.
Add Ladeckameister: Super G, jump out of your boots and switch into hard snowboard boots and race snowboard GS the rest of the way down the course. Fastest total time wins gold.
Delete the alpine combined. Too biased toward SL skiers.
Do not add ballet.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A skiing combined; 70 M jumping, a 10K XC, & 2 run GS. They can do laser tag in the 1/2 pipe in the event of a tie.

There was definitely some Nordic combined where they did a 70M jump then raced XC. I think their jump score knocked time off their XC course.

We have Alpine and Snowboard GS, why not Tele GS??

I want to see BroomBall added. We actually had BroomBall as a phys ed course in Jr High. So much fun!

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Having read some of the other suggestions, I think I'd like to expand my idea of "Snow-a-thon".

It would be super cool to just run a "Speed Demon" race that combines multiple disciplines:

- Ski down some gates,
- Through a mogul field,
- get out of ski boot and into snowboard boot
- Continue down a obstacle course of jumps and rails
- A few gates to blast to finish

We can even extend it further:
- now that we're in the flat land, out of snowboard boots and into xc skis
- 5k xc loop
- into the speed skating oval for some laps and blast to finish!

No need to bother with "points". Just the fastest time wins!

But to make the event exciting to watch, there should be some mandatory tricks required in the moguls field and boarding obstacle fields:
- mandatory "air bump" in the mogul, minimum style required (e.g. spread eagle?)
- minimum level of tricks on the jumps and rails

Like in biathlon, if you miss your mandatory tricks, it's a penalty lap in the speed skating oval.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ski jouring! Dog & Pony show.:)

Came here to add that.. Although, maybe use ATVs or snowmobiles. Lately several horses have been injured quite badly having to be put down at ski jouring events..

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alpine Team Event - I'm not sure how the team event added value--especially when the big names in the US chose not to compete

It certainly added value to the medalists who, together with the IOC, probably aren’t going to support canceling the event merely because the USST isn’t competent enough to field a team capable of withstanding the onslaught of that alpine racing powerhouse GBR:roflmao:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Having read some of the other suggestions, I think I'd like to expand my idea of "Snow-a-thon".

It would be super cool to just run a "Speed Demon" race that combines multiple disciplines:

- Ski down some gates,
- Through a mogul field,
- get out of ski boot and into snowboard boot
- Continue down a obstacle course of jumps and rails
- A few gates to blast to finish

We can even extend it further:
- now that we're in the flat land, out of snowboard boots and into xc skis
- 5k xc loop
- into the speed skating oval for some laps and blast to finish!

No need to bother with "points". Just the fastest time wins!

But to make the event exciting to watch, there should be some mandatory tricks required in the moguls field and boarding obstacle fields:
- mandatory "air bump" in the mogul, minimum style required (e.g. spread eagle?)
- minimum level of tricks on the jumps and rails

Like in biathlon, if you miss your mandatory tricks, it's a penalty lap in the speed skating oval.

Hmm... I'm sure Apex boots would get behind this one... step out of the ski frames and straight into snowboard bindings without taking off the boots. Should save 15 or 20 seconds at least.

Sponsor

Staff online