• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

Creature you'd most like to avoid on a trail

• Bear

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Moose

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Mountain Lion (Cougar), Bobcat

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Rattle Snake

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Farm Animal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skunk

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Coyote

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Bugs (mosquitos, ticks, and other tiny nuisance)

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.3%

• Total voters

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I also know skiers like that. I suspect mother bear cares more about her baby than those skiers have for you when they ski off after you have trouble and finally catch up on the slope, though.

I've been that person who had trouble in the past. I fell, hit my head, saw stars, and it took me a bit of time to get my head screwed back on right so I could catch up. Not a word from anyone when I rejoined the group. They were evidently pissed that I slowed them down. Later I found the crack in the helmet; it went all the way from front to back, leaving it held together by a sliver of foam in the middle.

My ski buddies back-in-the-day ... no longer my ski buddies. I smartened up.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OMG, I’m crying! I've taken that slide before, too, more than once (and on a much gentler slope!). I have also hugged the slope like that, trying not to slide further. And I know if I hit the rocks I wouldn’t start right back up like that little guy did!

The whole "leaving as soon as he got there" part didn't occur to me until I saw the other posts but there certainly should have been at least a fist bump of congratulations . . .

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think mama bear was annoyed at having a creepy videographer following her kid around, and wanted to get them both the f@*k out of there.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
OMG, I’m crying! .... The whole "leaving as soon as he got there" part didn't occur to me until I saw the other posts but there certainly should have been at least a fist bump of congratulations . . .

Yes, a fist-bump would have been perfect! I want to see bears do that.
Could have been "leaving as soon as she caught up" too. Not all baby bears are boys.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, a fist-bump would have been perfect! I want to see bears do that.
Could have been "leaving as soon as she caught up" too. Not all baby bears are boys.
Of course, but I didn’t want to go with "it" so I took the conventional "he"-covers-everything approach. It doesn’t offend me as much as some of the work-arounds do.

However, I’ll change it to the least offensive (to me) "leaving as soon as s/he caught up".

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EF97D12C-40F4-4070-B3AC-9CBB9A72C51B.jpeg
Cougars

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I spent a lot of time running the National Zoo in Washington DC the last two summers. Great hill! While running, I listened to the visitors making comments. Given the way English-speaking visitors talked to each other about the animals on exhibit, I have to assume that they think that all animals are "he."

I resent the female half of the animal kingdom being dismissed as non-existent so easily, as if it doesn't matter. Especially since I'm a member of that dismissed half. Just because that's the way it's been done for a long time, just because it feels natural to say "he," and just because there's no familiar and easy way to delete the "he" doesn't mean it's OK to say "he" for every creature of unknown gender.

If I could find a way to say this "lightly" I would. Can't figure out how to do that right now.

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No worries here. Sorry to have offended you, this is just one of those things that in this context doesn’t bother me.* In other contexts, absolutely, and I make a point of using inclusive wording there.

*And, yes, I realize that it doesn’t matter if it offends me, there are others to consider. I just mean that in this context it's not the forefront of my mind before I click Post Reply.

(Also, everything I’ve typed is "lightly" - it's very difficult to word stuff so it doesn’t sound like there's terrible offense given/taken!)

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Right! That lack of body language thing on the internet. Everything comes across so flat and serious and deadpan.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the way Baby Bear figured out that it was easier, though it didn’t work out, to follow the path trailblazed by Daddy Bear. No hug? Of course not. :)

It wouldn’t be a Daddy Bear. Mommy Bears do the child rearing. Daddy Bears might eat the baby bear.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
to follow the path trailblazed by Daddy Bear. No hug? Of course not. :)

Where I come from, we would call you a pot* stirrer. :nono:

*The word "Pot" was subbed in for a 4 letter word since this a family friendly site.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I couldn't stop watching this.

OMG. This nearly gave me a heart attack. And yeah, immediately thought, wtf, mom, at least a little breather?

It reminded me a bit of when Cooper broke through some ice ... heart in throat.

Sponsor

Staff online